5 Best Home remedies for Period Cramps
Menstruation is defined as the discharge of blood and tissues from the inner lining of the uterus out through the vagina. It generally lasts for 4-7 days with the amount of discharge increasing in the beginning, and then decreasing later. Period cramps, that are a very common occurrence, happens because of changes in the chemical composition of the body resulting in uterine contractions, inflammation and pain. More than 50% of the women population suffer from period cramps at least for 1-2 days a month.
5 efficient home remedies that eliminate period cramps
1. Massage with essential oils
- Lavender Oil – 6 drops
- Almond Oil – 2 teaspoons
- A small bottle
- In the small bottle, add the almond oil, which acts as the carrier oil.
- Squeeze in the drops of the essential oil and mix it well.
- Apply a little bit of the oil mix in the abdomen area and gently rub in circular motion.
- Repeat this process once a day for one week before the periods start.
2. Heat Therapy
- A towel
- A bowl
- Hot water
- Pour the hot water into a bowl and make sure that the water is not boiling but it is hot, just enough for the skin to bear the heat.
- Soak the towel in the hot water and squeeze out the excess water from the towel.
- Place the hot towel on the lower abdomen and let it rest for as long as possible, at most, till it returns to room temperature.
- The remedy works when the cramps are ongoing and this heat therapy blocks the pain nerve signals from reaching the brain.
- Repeat it each time the cramps increase.
3. Fenugreek Seeds
- Fenugreek Seeds – 2 Teaspoons
- Water – 1 Glass
- Place the fenugreek seeds in a bowl and soak it in the water overnight.
- Consume this mix in the morning, on an empty stomach.
- Repeat this process for a 2-3 days before the period begins.
4. Chamomile Tea
- Fresh Chamomile Flowers – 4 Tablespoons
- Mint – 1 Sprig
- Thin Apple Slices – 2
- Honey – 1 Teaspoon
- 1 pot and 2 cups
- Into the pot add the apple slices and mash them in.
- Wash the flowers and add them into the pot.
- Add 2 cups of boiling water into the pot and let it steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain the tea and add honey.
- Inculcate this drink into the daily routine as chamomile has anti-inflammatory properties that will allow the body to stay calm while menstruation is about to occur.
5. Epsom Salt
- Bath Water
- Epsom Salt – 1 or 2 cups
- Add the salt into warm bath water and mix it well.
- Take a soothing warm bath.
- Repeat this process once a day for a few days before getting the periods.
These were only a few ways to deal with menstrual cramps. But most importantly, there are lifestyle shifts that help in reducing inflammation in the body like improving diet and reducing sugar and caffeine intake. Menstrual cramps are inevitable for many and all one can do is take care of what they ingest as it affects the health in more ways than they think.
Latest posts by Arushi Phakey (see all)
- Top 5 DIY Nourishing Protein Hair Mask - May 31, 2019
- Remove Wrinkles on Face Permanently with this Natural Pack - May 21, 2019
- Use it for just a few Nights and Get Spot Free Glowing Skin - May 19, 2019