We would unanimously agree upon the fact that hair adds more to your natural beauty. However, it is not that easy to maintain your hair and you need to abide by some golden rules if you want voluminous, shiny, smooth and nourished locks to stand out in the crowd. Read this article till the end what you should be doing to take good care of your tresses before its too late.
1. A wide-toothed comb should ideally be used to gently detangle hair and then the regular fine-toothed comb may be used to style the hair as per one’s need. This will reduce the risk of hair breakage and hair fall while combing.
2. It is best not to comb the hair while it is wet as this leads to greater chances of hair breakage and fall. Let it be dry or semi-dry before combing.
3. Do not rub your hair vigorously with a towel. This will only lead to unwanted hair breakage. Use the towel instead to gently soak out excess moisture.
4. Clean your combs every week. If you look closely, you will see that combs become dirty over time; so they need to be cleaned with a brush, soap, and water as using a dirty comb continuously can lead to hair fall as well. You can do this easily while taking a bath or shampooing each week. This is a necessary precaution to take for hair fall control.
5. Hot oil treatments are one of the best answers to address the problem of hair fall!
6. Be gentle while combing, combing your hair properly with the right tool can prevent hair fall and reduce hair breakage. If you have medium to long hair then it is very likely that you can feel tangles forming throughout your hair. Detangling your hair can be a mammoth task if you don’t do it properly. Always start from the tips and then proceed towards the roots with a wide-toothed comb or a detangler to comb your hair. Then use a normal comb to comb through your locks at least twice a day to get the best results.
7. Many of us tend to skip this important step and straightaway go-to style our hair. If you have been doing it all this while, then its time to stop and consider adding one more hair care product to your vanity so as to protect your hair from the damage. This won’t take much time from your busy schedule either, just spritz on some heat protectant spray on your tresses before using heat-based styling tools on your hair, be it straightening, curling or getting some light perms.
8. Use a hair serum, if you don’t use any then consider purchasing these silicone-based concoctions. Hair serums are basically sunscreens for your hair that protect your tresses from dirt, dust, and pollution in the long-run. The right time to apply it is after rinsing all the extra water from your hair and before using a blow-drier. Some of the hair serums also double up as heat protectant sprays and protect your hair from the damage.
9. Popular to the contrary belief, that tying your hair into plaits and going to bed will make your hair shafts grow faster, it adds to your troubles for it will just lead to hair fall. Keep your hair open while going to bed, try not to change your sleeping position every now and then. If you turn your head more often, it will just lead to more friction and damage the texture of your tresses.
10. Indulge yourself in the guilty pleasure of splurging into some intense hair care sessions. Go, get a professional hair spa done at least once in a month to rejuvenate and stimulate your hair follicles, balance oil secretion and remove excess product build-up on your hair. It will also make your hair softer and smoother.
11. Use a hair mask at home once in a while, if you want detangled, smooth hair. To prepare this hair mask you will need 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seed powder, quarter cup purified water, 5-6 tablespoons of whole-fat yogurt, 2 tablespoons of argan oil, a teaspoon of shikakai powder (optional), a teaspoon of amla powder (optional). Mix all these ingredients to make your own hair mask. Keep it aside for 2 hours to set properly. Take a generous amount of this hair mask on your hair color applicator and apply it all over your hair from the roots to the tips. Let it sit for good 20-30 minutes on your head and then you can wash it off with plain water. Follow up with a shampoo and a nourishing hair conditioner. Use a hair serum before blow-drying your hair and then style it as per your liking.
12. Consume healthy food items like amla to keep your hair healthy. Consider adding amla or Indian gooseberry in your regular diet to ensure that your hair receives the essential nutrients that it requires to stay nourished and healthy. It is one of the richest sources of vitamin C available in the Indian market. It is a natural source of phyllantine, emblicanin, gallic acid, gallic acid, and quercetin.
13. Less is more when it comes to hair care, don’t wash your hair everyday unlike your skin or else you will unknowingly end up stripping your hair of all the natural oils. Wash your hair once in 2-3 days so that it stays bouncy and healthy. It will help to retain your hair’s natural moisture balance and maintain a healthy texture.
14. Wash your hair with lukewarm water only, do not use hot water to wash your hair as it will strip off the moisture balance from your tresses, and lukewarm deeply cleanses your hair properly without scraping it off the natural essential oils.
15. If you love swimming then make it a point to protect your hair from the damage caused by chlorine when it comes directly in contact with your lovely treses. Use a swimmers’ shampoo and wear a tight-fitting shower cap while you are in the pool. Deep condition your hair after coming out of the pool to protect your hair from the damage.