Burns is one of the most common household injuries. They can differ in severity. However, common household burns usually do not require medication or hospitalization. They can be treated effectively with a few easily available domestic products.
Cool Water and Cool Compress
Immediately after a burn injury run the area under cool water for at least 20 minutes. Then clean the area with mild soap and plain water. Make sure not to scrub the area to avoid pain and further injury. Cool water immediately soothes any irritation following a burn injury.
- Additionally, you may wet a clean cloth in plain cold water. Then apply this on the area in intervals of 5 to 15 minutes to relieve the pain instantly.
CAUTION- Never use freezing cold water on a burn to avoid further injury.
Bananas are commonly available in every household. Bananas are high in Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12. Therefore, they are highly effective in reducing redness, irritation and swelling.
To Use Banana Peel for Burn Injury
- Peel a banana and rub the inside of the peel against the burn. Do not apply pressure during the process.
- Continue this process for some time and allow the benefits of the peel to set on the injured skin.
- Clean the area with a moist cotton cloth.
Cucumber is cold and is essential in soothing any pain caused by the burn. It also helps to rejuvenate the skin after the injury.
To Use Cucumber for Burn Injury
- Take a whole cucumber and cut it in slices.
- Puree it in a blender.
- Spread the slices on the affected area.
Tip- Banana peel and cucumber are also helpful in reducing scars left by the burn. They also provide nourishment to the affected area.
Aloe vera is easily available and is very useful in treating burns quickly. It’s anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties enables it to promote blood circulation around the burn. It prevents the growth of bacteria that may infect the burn. It provides relief and heals the injury in a very short time.
To Use Aloe Vera for Burn Injury
- Extra aloe-vera gel from an aloe-vera plant.
- Apply this cool gel directly on the burn and let it sit for some time.
- Clean it off with a soft cotton cloth.
Vinegar is a widely available kitchen product for various requirements. It contains acetic acid. This helps to relieve pain instantly. It draws out heat from the burn, thus reducing any irritation. It also reduces any inflammation caused by the injury.
To Use Vinegar for Burn Injury
- Dip a cotton swap in a teaspoon of vinegar.
- Rub this gently over the burnt area.
- Continue the process until you feel any improvement.
Minor burn injuries are very usual but they can easily be avoided. To prevent burn, always wear cotton clothes while in the kitchen. Never leave any food cooking on the stove unattended. Avoid touching hot utensils with bare hands. However, in case of minor injuries, there is nothing to worry about. These simple home remedies will heal your burn completely.