Aloe Vera is a small stemmed, green fleshy leafed plant (of the lilaceous plant family) largely cultivated in the tropical region mainly for medicinal purpose. It is rich in vitamin C and beta carotene, amino acids, organic and inorganic compounds, carbohydrates and it helps relieve toxins. For its medicinal benefits it is used is various consumer products like body lotions, ointments, beverages, dietary supplements, cosmetics and Hair Products.
- Benefits of aloe vera for hair
- Easy home remedies to use aloe vera for hair
- Tips and precautions for healthy hair
- Side effects of using aloe vera for hair
Benefits of aloe vera for hair
- Prevents dandruff Aloe Vera has antibacterial and fungicidal properties it has the capability of breaking down protein including dead skin cells. This is the main cause of bacteria when our scalp dries out and rises in bits. When there is excessive sebum oil secretion in the scalp which can cause dandruff. It can be used as an exfoliant to wash away all dry scalp, it also relieves us of itchiness that causes irritation and scratching which causes dandruff.
- Conditioner, it can be used as a hair conditioner to nourish the hair strands from its roots and make it smooth, soft and glowing. It increases absorption of hydrocortisones. It helps to block the paths of the irritant reducing the irritation, hence the tendency to scratch the scalp reduces therefore reducing spreading of forming and dandruff. Aloe Vera goes deep into the root through the open follicle and conditions the hair strand to make it strong yet smooth. It is the best natural remedy for a smooth and a silky look helps to twist your hair into any style or pattern.
- Reduces hair fall as it helps repair dead scalp which is dead skin cells replacing it with active cells which grip the hair strands well. It has proteolytic enzymes which reduce dead skin cells and develop skin cells promoting hair growth. As dandruff is reduced hair fall also reduces, the cells on the scalp become more active.
- Prevents breakage and promotes hair growth, it contains it contains similar to ‘keratin’-primary protein of hair, with small quantities of carbon, nitrogen hydrogen sulphur and amino acids. This makes it elastic keeping it hydrated with its own nutrients and prevents breakage. This contains enough protein needed by our hair (too much or too little of which could lead to breakage problem). Too much of heat is another reason which could cause this problem but Aloe Vera helps ti keep the scalp and the strands cool and calm.
Easy Home remedies for hair with aloe vera
- To prevent hair damage
- To prevent dandruff
- To promote long and strong hair
- To prevent hair fall
- For soft and shiny hair
1. Aloe Vera gel rich in antioxidants and antimicrobial helps to maintain scalp health. Its leaves are similar to the cactus plant however they are filled with gel and 80% water. To prevent breakage you can use this gel as follows
- Take one Aloe Vera leaf and cut it open
- Use a spoon to remove the gel into a bowl.
- Stir it with a spoon and add some amount of coconut oil to make it dilute.
- Preserve it for a while at low temperature.
- Apply the gel to the scalp and hair after a hair wash as a hair masque.
- Let it settle for about 10-15 minutes and wash it off.
Tip: You can use this gel as an alternative for a hair spray or other hair gels to set your hair.
2. Aloe Vera almond oil and vitamin E this combination is excellent in antioxidants which prevents damaging of hair and scalp by neutralizing free radicals therefore an efficient compound to prevent hair breakage
- Take the ingredients almond oil, Aloe Vera, lemon juice and vitamin E oil (capsules will do) and mix it in a bowl until it is evenly mixed.
- Apply the mixture on your hair as a masque and massage lightly so that it penetrates.
- Wait for 20 minutes for the oil to get absorbed.
- Wash your hair with cold water and you are free to use your shampoo.
Tip: Tie you hair into a bun during the waiting period.
3. Shea butter and Aloe Vera gel this is a classic combination to prevent hair damage and split ends. With its deep conditioning abilities it maintains hair growth and adds a shine.
- You need ½ cup raw shea butter, ½ table spoon of vitamin oil, ½ tablespoon of lavender oil (optional) and Aloe Vera gel.
- Melt the Shea butter in a boiler (preferred) and its melted form cool.
- Combine all the ingredients efficiently and before it settles take a few drops of the mixture.Rest of the mixture can be stored for later use.
- Apply gently on the scalp and leave it undisturbed for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair later by your regular method.
4. Grapeseed oil, honey and Aloe Vera prevents damage and helps to lock moisture making your hair strong to withstand any damage so you will not have to trim your hair often.
- Take 1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil, ½ tablespoon of honey and 1 table spoon of Aloe Vera gel
- Combine the mixture by blending it for about 5-20 minutes as it should be mixed evenly.
- Apply it on your scalp and massage, let it process for 20 minutes.
- Wash away the mixture with shampoo or only a mild conditioner.
5. Apple cider vinegar and Aloe Vera improves over all hair and scalp health tackling issues of dandruff and scalp irritation. It ensures that hair follicles are filled with moisture and remain healthy to prevent dryness and promote hair growth.
- Take 1 cup Aloe Vera extract, 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon honey (to smoothen the mixture).
- Mix the ingredients well into a paste
- Gently massage the paste into your scalp and through your hair for a few minutes.
- Let it settle for 15 minutes and then wash your hair.
- Use a mild shampoo and finish it with a conditioner to make it smooth and silky.
6. Baking Soda, coconut oil and Aloe Vera you can use honey in place of coconut oil baking soda is an efficient cleanser and coconut oil helps to balance its effect. The mixture helps to keep the scalp healthy and free of impurities.
- Add 4 tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel, 2 tablespoon of honey or coconut oil and 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Rinse your hair with water before application.
- Apply the scrub on the hair as an alternative to shampoo.
- The processing time should not be more than 10 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water
- You can repeat this process to wash away the grease completely.
Tip: make sure you apply sufficient amount not more not less to avoid side effects.
7. Aloe Vera gel and Fenugreek is the best treatment to cure dandruff and condition your hair. Fenugreek is best known to add moisture and treat dandruff a very popular problem. It helps maintain scalp health which is very necessary for clean hair and hair growth.
- Take Fenugreek seeds and soak them overnight
- In the morning grind the seeds into a paste
- Add Aloe Vera paste to the seeds and blend it well.
- Apply the paste to your hair and leave it for at least 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with cool water, shampoo and conditioner.
Tip: Repeat this procedure once a week.
8. Lemon juice and Aloe Vera lemon is rich in vitamin C essential for synthesis. It helps to keep your hair clean and healthy maintaining an optimum pH level.
- Take 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice and four tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel and mix it well.
- Massage your scalp gently for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Leave it on for minimum of 15-20 minutes.
- Wash your hair with cool water and shampoo.
To promote long and strong hair
9. Egg and Aloe Vera egg has all the necessary fats to condition the hair and nourish them to boost hair growth.
- You can use 1 egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of almond oil or olive oil, 4 tablespoons of Aloe Vera and lavender ( to avoid the smell)Blend the ingredients well into a smooth mixture and store it in a container.
- Apply required amount of mixture on the hair (till it is fully covered).
- Let it dry for about 30 minutes
- Wash the mixture with cool water (avoid warm water) and shampoo and conditioner.
10. Coconut oil, coconut milk and Aloe Vera gel coconut is popularly known to hold your hair strong by nourishing it from its roots to the tips. As it gets observed by the roots it gives it a shine making them strong while aloe Vera works on the scalp keeping it cool, a perfect combination.
- Take a coconut and grind in a grinder it till it looks like milk
- Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 3 tablespoons of Aloe Vera extract.
- Blend the ingredients well into a paste.
- Apply the paste all over hair covering the roots to the tip.
- You can let it process overnight it is absolutely healthy.
- Wash it with cold water and shampoo properly and finish with a conditioner.
Tip: you can repeat this process twice or thrice a week depending on how your hair reacts.
11. Henna and Aloe Vera henna is very popularly known to promote hair health make it strong keep it smooth add slight colour and Aloe Vera to prevent the smell henna leaves leave behind and lock moisture.
- Soak Henna leaves for at least 2 hours
- Then blend them well and add Aloe Vera gel to the powdery blend.
- Apply the paste to your hair gently from the roots to the tips using hand gloves.
- Once your hair is covered with this mixture leave it on for an hour or as it is convenient (45 minutes minimum).
- Then wash your hair with cool water and shampoo
Tip: you can repeat this process once in three weeks.
12. Cayenne Pepper and Aloe Vera a perfect combination to maintain the hair volume, improve thickness, promotes hair re-growth and enhance hair growth. Yes cayenne pepper is usually used as a spice in your food dishes but it has the ability to make your hair long and strong.
- Blend 1 cup Aloe Vera extract with just one tablespoon of cayenne pepper (to avoid burning sensation take limited pepper).
- Take just 1 tablespoon of mixture and apply it to your hair, the rest can be preserved in an air tight jar.
- Let it dry for 10-15 minutes then wash it off with cool water
- Use shampoo and conditioner.
13. Amla and Aloe Vera (also known as Indian gooseberry) is rich in vitamin C and anti oxidants which helps to improve hair texture, growth and over all scalp health.
- Use 1 tablespoon of Amla pulp and equal amount of Aloe Vera gel to make the blend.
- Apply this mixture to your hair till you cover your hair throughout. It is preferred you cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Leave it on for ½ an hour.
- Wash your hair with cool water.
14. Onion and Aloe Vera this promotes collagen production and curbs hair fall. It unclogs hair follicles, cleans them and promotes hair growth. Using this regularly will make your hair thick and strong to withstand any damage that causes hair fall.
- Blend one onion in a blender to prepare onion juice/ puree.
- Add one tablespoon of Aloe Vera gel and blend the mixture well.
- Massage the mixture into your scalp until your hair is saturated with the mixture.
- Leave it on for 1 hour.
- Wash it off with mild shampoo and conditioner.
15. Castor oil and Aloe Vera is an excellent natural remedy for hair fall. It curbs hair fall and stimulates re-growth. Aloe Vera treats dormant hair follicles to enhance hair health and prevents hair fall. It nourishes hair strands preventing breakage and hair loss.
- Take 2 tablespoons of castor oil and 1 cup fresh Aloe Vera gel with some fenugreek powder and mix it well into a paste.
- Scrub the mixture well on your scalp from the roots to the tips and cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Keep it on overnight.
- Wash the mixture off with cold water and shampoo.
- Repeat the procedure twice a week.
16. Hibiscus and Aloe Vera gel this flower is usually used as a conditioner mainly for its scent and its ability to maintain hair texture and boost hair growth. Its combination with Aloe Vera gel is smooth cool and very efficient for holding your hair strong from its roots.
- Grind hibiscus flower into a paste and add 1 cup Aloe Vera gel to it.
- Apply the mixture gently on your hair and massage. So that the scrub penetrates into the roots and your hair is saturated with the paste.
- Leave it on for 1 hour before rinsing your hair.
- Use shampoo to wash your hair.
17. Lavender with Aloe Vera gel, almond oil and alcohol (spray) this will make your hair soft and smooth giving it a scent and almond oil makes your hair strong and prevents damage, while Aloe Vera gel will keep your scalp cool and moisture locked.
- Scrub Aloe Vera gel from its leaf, grind lavender to remove its juice take 1 table spoon of almond oil and a few drops of alcohol.
- Mix the ingredients equally and add some water.
- Store it in a container with spray.
- You can rinse your hair before applying the mixture to your hair.
- It is safe and does not give bubbles hence can be applied as a spray to style your hair.
For soft, shiny hair
18. Aloe Vera with Jojoba oil is a very effective combination for dry scalp and conditions hair making it shinny, smooth, silky and healthy. Jojoba oil an excellent solubilising agent is rich in minerals, iodine, chromium, zinc, vitamin E and B-complex. This oil/wax comes from jojoba plant (with fatty acids, alcohol) mainly found in Arizona. It cleanses scalp and enhances hair growth making it thick and shiny.
- Take two tablespoons of jojoba oil and ½ cup of aloe Vera pulp.
- Mix the ingredients well as the oil is more wax like when it is purely extracted from the plant.
- Scrub the mixture on your scalp efficiently.
- Let it dry for at least 30 minutes let it seep into the roots.
- Wash it away using a mild shampoo.
19. Green tea and Aloe Vera Pulp helps to develop hair health by conditioning it making it smooth, strong and shinny. Green tea stimulates hair growth reduces hair loss with its anti inflammatory properties, panthenol (vitamin B).
- Use freshly brewed green tea with Aloe Vera pulp.
- Apply it on your hair and let it dry for 15 minutes
- Wash away the hair mask with cool water.
- You are free to apply shampoo and conditioner.
20. Aloe Vera with Neem Oil nourishes hair by reducing dryness of scalp and repairs damaged hair. Neem oil (from a medicinal plant) is healthy and directly affects hair follicles making it soft and shinny as it develops hair health.
- Take 2 tablespoons of neem oil and 1 cup Aloe Vera extract and mix it well.
- Take two tablespoons of the compound and apply it on the scalp.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes before you take a hair shower.
- You can then take a shower using shampoo.
Tips and precautions for healthy hair
- Always used Aloe gel with other gels mixed evenly (in 50-50 % proportion).
- Wash the applied mixture with cool water, never use warm water as it may either reverse the effect or lose its ability.
- When using raw Aloe gel strain the gel to get away with all white sediments.
- Pregnant women, breastfeeding women and persons undergone surgeries must consult a doctor before using any remedy
- Rinse your hair before applying any Aloe mixture (unless asked not to).
- Avoid using heat (hair driers, hot iron) or heated products (edible and non-edible) along with Aloe Vera.
- Make sure you are not allergic to any of the products used with Aloe Vera or products in ready to use Aloe Vera crèmes available.
Especially people allergic to plants in the lilaceous family.
Side effects of using aloe vera for hair
Consumption of Aloe Vera can cause numerous health issues like
- Excess Adrenaline secretion
- Latex risk
- Reduces blood glucose
- stomach problems (diarrhea, constipation, gastrointestinal problems)
When you apply it on your scalp (or skin) can result in
- It can cause allergic reaction, skin rashes, itchy swollen skin to especially those who are allergic to lilaceous plants like tulip, onions
- Interferes with medication.
- Avoid using too much of aloe Vera with anything as it can lead to adverse effect.
How long does it take to get improved hair?
It solely depends on your hair ability to absorb nutrients and how responsive your hair is. On an average your hair will start showing improved health when used regularly for minimum of 2 months.
Can we stockpile products combined with Aloe Vera?
Yes it possible to stockpile Aloe Vera governed products in an air tight container like glass jars or Tupperware. It can evaporate because of its high water content.
Is it suitable for all age groups?
Yes it is suitable for all age groups from young children (there are products specially made for children) to older adults as it is an all natural remedy. However before consuming it one must consult his/her doctor. Applying it over skin and scalp does not have any side effects unless allergic.
You might find this article interesting Normal Creatinine Levels – Remedies, Precautions & More