Baking soda is one such ingredient that is usually found in every Indian household. If you are wondering how to put this thing to use then you have landed on the right page. I have listed down the most effective home remedies that you can easily try at home.
Use baking soda as a mouthwash
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3 drops of peppermint essential oil
- To create an easy baking soda mouthwash, mix baking soda and peppermint essential oil (or eucalyptus essential oil) in a glass of water.
- Your mouthwash is ready!
- After brushing your teeth with your regular toothpaste.
- Rinse your mouth with your custom made mouthwash.
- It will freshen your breath and neutralise bacteria.
- Use this mouthwash right after brushing your teeth to get the best results.
Use baking soda to whiten teeth
- A pea-sized amount of toothpaste
- A pinch of baking soda
- You can simply apply baking soda on your toothbrush and brush your teeth with it as usual, but I prefer a slightly different variation.
- Here is another way you can whiten your teeth, put your favourite toothpaste on your brush and then, put a little bit of baking soda on top of it (it will stick to the toothpaste) and brush your teeth with this mix.
- Don’t be harsh, brush gently in circular motions for about 2 minutes.
- This is not for everyday use.
- You can brush your teeth this way during 2 or 3 days to make them whiter and then, switch to your usual brushing routine.
- Also, keep in mind that it’s not recommended to use this method if you have sensitive teeth.
- It’s best to ask for advice from a professional if you want to whiten your teeth.
- Use this home remedy twice or thrice a week to get the best results.
Use baking soda as shampoo
- A little bit of baking soda
- Your regular shampoo
- Mix baking soda with your favourite shampoo to get a wonderful purifying shampoo that will cleanse your hair from the residue that styling products leave behind.
- Mix one tablespoon of soda with one tablespoon of your favourite shampoo and wash your hair with this mix.
- After rinsing thoroughly, you will notice that your hair will become squeaky clean and more easily manageable.
- It’s not an everyday shampoo though. It’s great to wash your hair with this baking soda shampoo once or twice a month.
- For similar result you can also wash your hair with just baking soda plus water – this is one of the most popular uses of baking soda.
- Use this home remedy once in a month and you are good to go.
Use baking soda as a body scrub
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of milled oatmeal
- 3 tablespoons of water
- Mix all the ingredients in the specified quantities in a mixing bowl.
- You will get an amazing hydrating and refreshing body scrub.
- Rub this paste into your body in circular motions and then, wash with warm water.
- This baking soda body scrub will help to remove dead cells from the surface of your skin, making your body baby soft and very smooth.
- You can also use this scrub for your face, but remember – always be gentle with your face, never rub too hard!
- Use this scrub right after shaving your skin to get soft, smooth and glowing skin/
Use baking soda as a face scrub and makeup remover
- 1 tablespoon of organic honey (make sure you are not allergic to honey)
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- Mix both the ingredients in the specified quantities.
- Keep stirring until you obtain the paste (you can add a little bit of water if it’s too sticky).
- Now gently massage your face in circular motions with this mixture.
- Do it for about a minute or two.
- This face scrub will cleanse your skin, removing dead cells; it also has antibacterial properties thanks to honey.
- If you want to use the same concoction as a make-up remover, use it on your face with the help of a cotton ball or a cotton petal and wipe your face with it.
- Follow up with your regular toner and a creamy moisturizer afterwards.
- To reap the maximum benefits, use this scrub once in a week instead of your regular facial scrub.
Use baking soda face pack for clear skin
- Freshly extracted lemon juice from 1 lemon
- A tablespoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of pure manuka honey
- Take all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Keep mixing until you achieve a smooth face pack with a medium consistency.
- Wipe your face with micellar water to make sure its squeaky clean before applying this face pack.
- Take a generous amount of this face pack and apply it evenly all over your face and neck.
- Keep it on for about 5-15 minutes at least and let this face pack work wonders for your skin.
- After that, splash some running tap-water on your face to wash this face mask.
- Pat dry your skin with a clean towel.
- Follow up with a toner and a moisturizer to complete this skincare regime.
- Use this face pack once in a fortnight to reap the maximum benefits.
DIY baking soda foot soak
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda
- A tub of warm water
- Add the specified amount of baking soda in warm water.
- Set it aside for a while.
- Soak your feet in this water for a while.
- If you want you can use a shower gel and pumice stone to gently exfoliate your feet gently.
- Wash your feet and follow up with a foot cream to complete your customized pedicure at home.
- Try this customized pedicure at the comfort of your home after a tiring day at work to refresh your mind.
Add some baking soda along with detergent to get rid of stains from clothes
- A cup of baking soda
- A regular detergent
- Add half a cup of baking soda along with as much detergent as you use on a daily basis in the washtub.
- Wash your clothes.
- After that, add half a cup of baking soda in the rinsing tub and then rinse your clothes before drying and then keeping it back in your closet.
- Run your clothes through a drier.
- Use a dry iron box to iron your clothes, fold them and arrange neatly in your closet.
- Try this method once in a while to get rid of soiled clothes and want your clothes to be white and shiny.
You might find this article interesting How To Get Soft Hair