What is skin peeling
Peeling skin is very common in those who are experiencing dry skin. It can lead to scaly and inflamed areas of the skin accompanied by itchiness and irritation.
Other causes of peeling skin include extreme weather conditions, skin rashes or infections, allergies, eczema, psoriasis, ringworm, dermatitis, a weak immune system, certain types of cancer, and side effects of certain medications and chemicals.
Peeling skin is not a very serious condition and can go away on its own. However, natural remedies can speed up the healing process.
Generally, people who have extremely dry skin suffer from this problem.
Some people come across this skin problem only during the winter.
Check below post to know natural ways to deal with peeling skin.
Make sure you conduct a patch test before trying out any of these home remedies.
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil has skin-nourishing fatty acids that work as an excellent moisturizer for dry skin. The oil coats the skin and locks in moisture. Plus, the vitamin E in olive oil helps the body fight free radicals that are often responsible for skin aging.
- Slightly warm some extra-virgin olive oil in a microwave. Liberally rub the warm olive oil on the affected area and gently massage it so the oil penetrates deep inside the skin. Do this three times daily until your condition improves.
- Mix two tablespoons of salt with enough olive oil to create a thick paste. Use this paste as a body scrub to exfoliate dead skin cells. Do this twice a week until your skin heals completely.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has soothing and moisturizing properties that help get rid of peeling skin. It also reduces inflammation, irritation, and itching.
- Mix two tablespoons of fresh aloe vera gel and a little vitamin E oil.
- Apply the mixture on the affected skin.
- Allow it to dry on its own, and then rinse it off with warm water.
- Repeat two or three times daily for at least one week.
3. Oatmeal Bath
Oatmeal is very helpful in reducing the itching and irritation associated with peeling skin. Also, its soothing properties help the skin retain its natural moisture.
- Stir one cup of oatmeal into a bathtub filled with warm water.
- Soak in this soothing bath water for 30 minutes.
- Rinse your body with clean water, and then pat dry with a soft towel.
- Apply a gentle moisturizer on your body.
- Follow this remedy daily before going to bed until you are satisfied with the result.
Milk is very beneficial for dealing with peeling skin. It works as a natural skin moisturizer, the protein in milk has a soothing effect and the lactic acid will reduce irritation as well as itching.
- Soak a washcloth in ice-cold whole milk and wring out the excess milk. Put the washcloth on the affected area for 10 minutes. Then wash the skin with clean water. Repeat the process two or three times daily until your skin is healthy again.
- Mix two tablespoons of whole milk and one tablespoon of honey. Apply this mixture on the affected skin and massage gently. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash it off with warm water. Do this twice daily for about one week.
5. Lemon and Sugar Scrub
Being a strong astringent, lemon has the ability to dissolve dead skin cells and help reduce peeling. Also, its healing and soothing properties are good for your skin. When combined with sugar, it works as a great natural scrub for your skin.
- Mix together one-half cup of sugar, the juice from half a lemon, and one tablespoon each of honey and olive oil.
- Apply this mixture on your skin and rub in circular motions for a few minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water.
- Repeat this remedy once or twice a week until you get rid of your peeling skin.
Cucumber is a natural astringent and also contains plenty of water that helps keep the skin hydrated. Plus, its cooling effect helps alleviate irritation and itching. The vitamin C in cucumber will also reduce sunburn and facilitate skin repair. This is especially beneficial for people who suffer from psoriasis and eczema.
- Grate one cucumber and apply the paste on the affected skin. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm water. Do this twice daily for one or two weeks to maintain adequate skin moisture.
- Mix one peeled cucumber and two tablespoons of aloe vera gel in a blender to make a smooth paste. Apply this paste on the peeling skin. Leave it on for 10 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm water. Do this once daily until the problem is resolved.
7. Sandalwood face pack
This home remedy is highly suitable for people with peeling skin, this will hydrate and nourish peeled skin from deep within to reveal a fresh and youthful glow.
- Add a teaspoon of wild turmeric powder, sandalwood powder, extra virgin olive oil and manuka honey in a mixing bowl.
- Mix everything well until it forms a smooth lump-free paste.
- Wash your face with plain water before applying this face pack.
- Pat dry your face with a clean towel.
- Take a generous amount of this face pack on your face pack applicator.
- Apply a thick layer of this face pack evenly all over your face and neck.
- Keep it on for about 15-20 minutes.
- Wah it off with cold water.
- Repeat this process twice a week to get the best results.
8. Apple cider vinegar
If you use this home remedy, then conduct a patch test beforehand to make sure that it does not break your skin.
- Mix a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with 8 teaspoons of purified water.
- Mix it well.
- Soak a cotton ball in this mixture.
- Squeeze out the excess solution.
- Gently pat the cotton ball on the affected areas.
- Keep it on for about 15-20 minutes.
- Wash it off with plain water.
- Repeat the same process once daily to get the best results.
- Follow up with a moisturizer if you want to.
You might find this article interesting Jock (Itch), Causes, Symptoms And Remedies