Coconut oil and Baking Soda work together very well in treating acne, redness, scarring and removing excess dirt, oil, and exfoliating dead skin off. Mixing two very different products together like coconut oil and baking soda to target every key goal needed in a cleanser for sensitive skin can produce some amazing results.
Sodium bicarbonate, or “baking soda”, is often used as a leavening for baking and cooking, a polishing agent, a deep cleaning and deodorizing agent for household use, as well as a cosmetic (such as teeth and deodorant). However, baking soda is also highly effective in treating acne. Being an amphoteric compound it can be used to correct the skin’s pH balance, which can aid in healing breakouts as often times an imbalance in pH can cause skin breakouts. However, skin health is an overall indicator of what’s going on in your body, both in and out, and therefore in order for complete healing to happen, you must also be mindful of what you put into your body.
Meanwhile, coconut oil’s antibacterial, healing and moisturizing properties condition, nourish, and soothe the skin’s blemishes. Being a much gentler product than baking soda, mixing the two together balances out baking soda’s harshness, making it safe for even the most sensitive skin. Any kind of natural coconut oil can be used here, although wet-milled traditional virgin coconut oils are higher in antioxidants.
Baking Soda and Coconut Oil as a Deep Cleanser
- Coconut oil
- Baking soda
- To determine the amount of each needed, you first need to know what your skin type is and what results you are going for.
- For more sensitive skin, use at least a 2:1 ratio of coconut oil to baking soda.
- If you need more of an exfoliator, use a 1:1 ratio.
- Simply mix the ingredients together and apply to your skin, wet or dry.
- From here you can leave it on as a mask for a few minutes for an even deeper conditioning treatment, or simply wash off with warm water using gentle circular motions.
- Use this facial cleanser once in a week to notice a visible change. Mixing up a small batch of your homemade cleanser and storing is fine, but for more sanitary purposes it is best to mix up a little amount at a time when you need it as this type of cleanser is too much of an exfoliator for everyday use.
If you want to experiment a little bit and try out some different variants of the same, basic cleanse, then read this article till the end.
DIY lavender-coconut oil-baking soda scrub recipe
- Lavender essential oil: 5 drops
- Baking soda: 1 teaspoon
- Extra virgin coconut oil: 1 tablespoon
- Take coconut oil in a container.
- Warm it up.
- Add some baking soda in it and keep stirring until it forms a white gentle exfoliating scrub.
- Add a few drops of essential oil at the end and your scrub is ready to be used.
- To deeply cleanse your face with this scrub take a tad bit of it and gently exfoliate your skin in circular motions with a light hand for about 30 seconds or so to get the best results.
- This gentle exfoliating scrub can also be doubled up as a body scrub.
- Use this scrub twice a week to get the best results. However, we strongly recommend a patch test as this scrub may not suit people with sensitive skin.
DIY sea salt-coconut oil-baking soda scrub recipe
- Extra virgin coconut oil: half a cup
- Baking soda: 2/3 rd of a cup
- Sea salt: 1 teaspoon
- Take extra virgin coconut oil in a medium-sized container.
- Heat it up.
- When it melts, start adding sea salt, a little bit at a time.
- Give it a stir to mix it well.
- After using your normal face wash, take a little bit of this scrub to exfoliate your face gently.
- Follow up with a facial mist and a moisturizer.
- Use this scrub once in a week to reap the maximum benefits.
If you are allergic to one of these ingredients, then try out some other DIY scrubs like these, it won’t break you out:
DIY coconut oil-coffee body scrub recipe
- Brown sugar: quarter cup
- Coffee grounds: half a cup
- Extra virgin coconut oil: quarter cup
- Add all the ingredients in the specified quantities in a mixing bowl.
- Give it a stir to make sure that everything gets mixed up really well.
- Use this scrub instead of your regular shower gel to gently exfoliate your skin.
- Follow up with a body lotion or body oil to moisturize your skin after a hot shower.
- If you use this scrub twice a week, you will notice a visible change.
DIY lemon body scrub recipe
- Sweet orange essential oil: 20 drops
- Lemon essential oil: 10 drops
- Extra virgin coconut oil: quarter cup
- Granulated sugar: half a cup (approx)
- Mix all the ingredients in mixing bowl to make a scrub.
- Transfer the contents in an airtight mason jar.
- Refrigerate everything for at least 30 minutes.
- Gently exfoliate your body in the shower with this scrub.
- Use a body butter to moisturize your body after using this scrub.
- Use this body scrub once or twice a week to get rid of dead skin cells and other impurities from your body.
DIY vitamin E-baking soda scrub recipe
- Baking soda: 1 tablespoon
- Vitamin E capsule: 1
- Purified water: a few drops
- Take baking soda and purified water and mix it well, after that pour out the contents of a vitamin E capsule in the bowl.
- Give it a stir to make sure that everything gets mixed up well.
- Wipe your face with a wet wipe to make sure that your skin is squeaky clean before applying this facial scrub.
- Take a generous amount of this scrub on your fingertips.
- Apply it all over your face and neck.
- Now, gently exfoliate by scrubbing it off in circular motions applying light pressure.
- Wash it off with running tap water.
- Follow up with a moisturizer to complete this skincare regime.
You might find this article interesting How To Get Rid Of Blemishes