Hair coloring is the practice of altering the hair color to enhance the look. Nowadays hair coloring or dying is very popular and available in multiple shades. From the celebrities to a common person almost everyone is following the trend. But, these hair dyes carry toxic and damaging chemicals like ammonia and hydrogen peroxide which may cause skin irritation and respiratory problems, even sometimes leads to cancer. The only way to avoid these chemicals is to use natural hair dyes prepared by the ingredients available at home.
Try these natural hair dyes if you are looking for some healthy ways to color your hair. These natural hair coloring DIYs may take some time to get the desired color. But you are doing something good and safe to your hair by using these natural products.
HONEY AND CINNAMON
- Honey – 1 cup
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Vinegar – 2 cups
- Mix all the four ingredients together in a bowl.
- First, wet your hair and then apply the mixture.
- Distribute it evenly to all the sections of hair by using brush or comb.
- After applying the mixture wrap your hair using a shower cap or soft towel.
- Leave it on for at least 2 hours and then rinse your hair.
- Do this once in a week till you get the desired results.
Honey has small traces of hydrogen peroxide which acts as a lightening agent. Olive oil and vinegar boost up the lightening effect. Cinnamon is rich in Manganese, iron, and calcium which adds strength to your hair.
- Lemon – 1
- Take a fresh lemon and cut it into two equal halves.
- Squeeze out the lemon juice and transfer it into a spray bottle.
- To this add equal amount of water to dilute the lemon juice.
- Close the lid and shake well before use.
- Spray the mixture to all the sections of your hair.
- Brush your hair to distribute the lemon juice evenly.
- Expose your hair to the sunlight for an hour to activate lemon juice lightening effects.
- As the lemon juice dries rinse it off and then use conditioner.
- Try this method once in a week to get desired results.
The lemon juice contains citric acid which works in the sunlight. This acid reduces the melanin coloring pigment in the hair and naturally lightens the hair color which gives a permanent shade.
Repeating this process more than once a week can leave your hair dry and brittle.
- Coffee – 1 cup
- Conditioner – 1/4 cup
- First, wash your hair to get rid of all oils.
- Prepare a strong organic coffee and allow it to cool.
- To this add 1/4 cup of a leave-in conditioner and mix it well.
- Now apply the mixture to your hair thoroughly.
- Leave it on for 1 hour.
- Rinse off your hair with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process twice per month.
- This natural method gives a beautiful chocolate color to your hair.
Coffee is a natural, safe and inexpensive hair dye which has been used for a long time. It can turn your light hair darker along with strengthening them.
- Henna – 1/2 cup
- Black tea – 1/2 cup
- Take 1/2 cup of herbal henna powder in a small bowl.
- To this add required amount of water, black tea and mix well to get a thick paste.
- Let the paste soak for about 2-3 hours.
- Now apply the mixture to your hair evenly.
- Leave it on for about 2 hrs.
- Rinse it off with a shampoo followed by conditioner.
- Do this method once in a month.
Henna is one of the best natural ingredients to color your hair which lasts for a month. It also helps in deep conditioning and repairing split ends. Black tea, along with darkening, also adds shine and softness to the hair.
- Walnut shells – 10 shells
- Grind the walnut shells into a fine powder.
- Boil it with enough water for half an hour.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Now apply the mixture to all sections of your hair using a cotton ball.
- If you prefer dark shade you can give extra coatings.
- Let it sit for an hour.
- Rinse your hair with lukewarm water to make the color last longer.
- You can re-dye your hair as often as necessary to keep your desired shade.
Walnuts are rich in potassium, omega-3, omega-6 fatty acids which gives a beautiful color shade and strength to your hair.
Be careful while using this dye as it will stain your hands and clothes. Better to use gloves and old towel to cover up. Apply a coat of oil to your face and neck where you don’t want the dye to stain your skin.