1. Always use right products suited to the face. As a thumb rule use mildest facewash. Type of facewash used can vary according to skin type but look for gentle, non irritating types. Common misconception is that more the lather better is the cleaning. Rather such face washes are high on detergent content. One should try and go for milder washes preferably fragrance free to avoid allergy.
2. Use right temperature of water. Use or very cold of very hot and very cold water can either over dry skin or cause skin to look blanched.
3. Use same facewash twice daily atleast in winters and three times a day in summers followed by moisturizer. Avoid rushing out in sun immediately after washing face. Take time out to apply sunscreen.
4. Never rub your face vigorously after washing. Mop the face gently with mild towel. Also use oilfree moisturizer in acne prone skin and creamy moisturizer in dry skin within 3 minutes after facewash.
5. Don’t use Facewashes for removing makeup. Remove make up with remover or even a good moisturizer. Then wash it off with facewash. Some people like to follow cleanser, toner, moisturizer ( CTM) routine. It doesn’t work for everyone as some people can get allergic rash to toners as they are alcohol based. Always try products behind ears for 48-72 hours to see if they suit and then start using.
6. Replacements like curd or milk do not actually work. Some people prefer not to use facewash or use only homemade things as replacement like curd or milk. These are not very effective cleansers and can lead to blackheads or clogged pores. Soaps too are not a good choice as they are not ph balanced. Facewashes remain the best choice.
7. Wash your hands with a hand wash and only then use your face wash. This will make sure that germs do not find their way to your face and infect an open pore to develop a pimple.
8. Use a toner, if you want to avoid this additional skin care step then use a syndet bar with a pH of 5.5 to get clear skin.
9. Quit smoking and drinking. Apparently, it may seem to be a cool idea to drink or smoke once in a while, but it ultimately damages your skin in ways more than one.
10. Always wear a scarf before stepping out, doing this will protect your skin from dust and dirt.
11. Make it a habit to slather on a thick layer of sunscreen lotion before stepping out of your home every day. It protects your skin and also reverses the damage done by UVA and UVB rays.
12. Change your pillow cover after every three days. This will prevent your skin from coming in contact with germs stuck in your sheets and prevent a possible breakout.
13. Moisturization is the key to healthy skin, even if you have oily skin, use a gel-based moisturizer.
14. Drink enough water to keep your skin hydrated throughout the year.
15. Enjoy an uninterrupted beauty sleep for at least 8 hours every day to retain that youthful glow.
-By Dr. Aman Dua, Dermatologist
You might find this article interesting Peanut Oil Benefits For Skin And Hair