Yoga is one of the most traditional and effective practices that proves to be a cure for many health conditions. To achieve and maintain a healthy body and mind, Yoga confirms to be an excellent solution when done consciously. Though there are a pool of asanas in Yoga known for their various uses, Dhanurasana is one productive posture which helps in continuous body and soul development.
This article will serve as a wonderful counselor for people who want to learn the Dhanurasana posture and experience the glory of it!!
What is Dhanurasana?
Dhanurasana is a challenging yet dynamic asana popularly noted as “Bow Posture” or “Back bend Posture”. As the name suggests , this asana motivates a strong stretch along the body front and a profound opening in the center of the heart. This helps to bring in a sense of fearlessness and grace within both the mind and soul.
This asana has an array of postures like opening the shoulders, stretching the hips and bolstering the back muscles which helps to achieve overall stability. This asana will be a tool that helps you reveal your true potential to the world.
According to Bow Pose from Gherand Samhita(Verse 1:19), Dhanurasana can be simply summarized in the following way:
- While lying on the ground, stretch your legs as straight as sticks.
- Catch hold of your feet with your hands behind the back.
- Adjust your body so that it takes the shape of a bow.
- Wheel to and fro.
- People with cardiac problems and blood pressure problems should avoid them.
- Do not perform Dhanurasana immediately after a meal , there should be a gap of at least 4 hours.
- People with bad back aches and other physio problems should perform this only under the supervision of a trained Yogi.
- Patients suffering from appendicitis, done recent surgeries, hernia, ulcers and other abdominal conditions should not do this asana.
- Do not perform the asana just before going to bed. The adrenaline rush caused by the asana might over stimulate the nervous system. It can cause serious medical ailments.
How to do Dhanurasana?
Before you get onto the procedure steps , make sure you practice a good inhale-exhale breathing pattern and have good control of it!
1 : Firstly , stand with both feet together
2 : Lie down in decumbent position.
3: Exhale, bend your knees and have your ankles held in your hands.
4: Inhale, Lift your chest, head and thighs slowly all at a time slowly and steadily as high as possible.
5: Concentrate your entire body weight on your lower abdomen and join both of your ankles together.
6: Once you find yourself reliable on the position, look upward without straining your necks and breathe normally.
7: Hold step 5 for 3-4 minutes
8: Exhale, bring down your head and legs to the knee joint level and keep up the position as long as you can hold it.
9: Slowly come down to the original position.
10: Repeat Steps 1 – 9 for 2-5 times to loosen the body muscles.
Beginner Tips to do Dhanurasana :
If you are a beginner, you might initially feel that this asana might be a tough one to crack. But the wheel pose by itself invokes a burning desire to conquer as you do it every day in a regular basis. Even if you are an experienced person who has already attained the position, you might still suspect whether you are feeling the right way it has to be felt when accomplished. Most familiar sensations that arise from people who get this pose in the first few shots are ,
- Groaning as you move up
- Vein bulges on your forehead
- Pushing up quickly such that your shoulders jump out of your joints aching your cuff muscles.
- Feeling that your knees and feet might give up
The above situations will not only put your muscles/joints under tremendous pressure but also result in serious injury. So it’s very important for you to get a compromise between aspiration and irritation.
Instead of pushing yourself into the asana, you can realize and be aware on what is happening to your body and mind while doing the asana. Try segregating them into simple small positions and get to know how your body copes up with each one of them. Achieve the positions individually with no strain , then try the sequential continuity of them to ease your effort. Do not attempt to do the whole asana in a single go quickly. It’s always better to focus which position seems to be to be physically challenging for you. Attempt practicing those positions more with the help of simple exercises!
Benefits Of Dhanurasana:
To unravel all your hard work to accomplish this posture, is it not essential to know the enormous fruits of it ?? Here goes the list of great benefits accounted ,
- Lethargy Killer: Yoga in general is capable of reducing the sluggish behavior in people. Dhanurasana especially is known to kill the lethargic attitude which is spread across the body and mind. It keeps you active and motivated all the time.
- Blood Cleanup: In this asana,almost all the body’s major joints and muscles are participating in the asana. Hence this posture helps to have an overall blood cleansing of your system.
- Spinal Strength: One of the most important uses of this asana is to strengthen your spine as it is lengthened while the chest and heart are opened up!
- Liver Massage: Since the overall body weight is concentrated on the lower abdominal point, it gives a good liver manipulation and helps in better digestion.
- Weight Loss: This asana provides utmost stretch to the abdomen , hips and thigh areas which are usually the body’s fat canaries. Hence performing the asana on a regular basis, will help you achieve good Body Mass Index(BMI)