Learn how to do a fishtail braid With this simple, step-by-step fishtail braid tutorial. The fishtail braid is very easy to learn and looks elegant on long hair. you can master this trendy style in minutes.
Once you get to know about the tips and tricks you can ace this hairdo like a professional hairdresser.
A word of caution:
Do not try this hairstyle if you have got hair extensions. Pulling and tugging of hair may lead to breakage. This hairstyle is ideal for medium or long hair. It looks best on voluminous hair, so, if the volume of your hair is less, then try tying it loose to give an illusion of thicker or voluminous hair. If you have naturally curly or wavy hair then straighten your hair first and then make this hairstyle. This looks best on highlighted hair as it reflects the lighter hue in the sunlight. This is a great option to go for on one of those bad hair days. If you are running out of time and have no time to book an appointment in the salon then tie your hair in a fishtail braid to tame rough and frizzy hair on the go.
Things that you need to keep handy:
- Dragon clips: 2
- Tail comb: 1
- Wide-toothed comb: 1
- Hair tie: 1 or 2
- Wash your hair with a shampoo and cleanser.
- Apply a hair serum when your hair feels moist but not completely dried out.
- Spritz on a heat protectant spray.
- It is very important to use heat protectant sprays if you use hair styling tools to protect your hair from the damage.
- Try to use a hair straightening or hair curling iron with ceramic plate coating for a more professional look.
- Straighten your hair using a ceramic coated hair straightening iron.
How to do it:
- Use a wide-toothed comb to detangle your hair properly if you want to avoid hair loss or breakage.
- Try to use a wooden comb for combing your hair, after detangling, back brush your hair and tie a high-raised ponytail.
- After that divide the ponytail into two large sections.
- Use a tail comb to draw a small section of hair from each side.
- Intertwine the small sections of hair.
- Keep repeating this process until you reach the end.
- Secure the loose end of your hair with a hair tie.
- That’s it you are done.
- Spritz on some hair fixing spray to tame baby hair, it will also keep your hairstyle intact throughout the day.
- You can either chose thicker sections of hair to make it appear loose or take thinner sections of hair each time while intertwining so that it forms an interesting pattern.
- You can also tie it up in a bun after completing the fishtail bun to add a new twist to this traditional hairstyle.
It is a good idea to keep your hair tied all day long to protect it from dust and pollution. This is a trendy hairstyle that just takes 5 minutes to complete.
French Fishtail Braid
You do not have to make your fishtail braid in just the one standard method, there are other varieties which you can try out too of course. Study the steps mentioned below to learn how to make the French variety of the fishtail braid:
How to do it:
- First of all, take a section of hair on the top portion (or the crown) of your head and gather them towards the center of your head. In fact, the more centered you are the better hairstyle you will get.
- After that, divide that section into two more half each section.
- Then, take less than half an inch strand of hair from the left side and then take it across to the right side of your head and tuck it under the section on the hair on the right side.
- After that, repeat the previous step once again but the directions are reversed obviously.
- Then, once you have done each side once, take up a new center section of hair and then continue the previous steps for that too.
- After that, keep repeating the last step until you reach the end of your hair, keep braiding as close to the tips as you can get and then tie it off in a messy fashion to get a great french fishtail look with your hair.
Faux Fishtail Braid
You can also make a fishtail braid which is not really that but a sort of an illusion of the fishtail braid. For this one, you are going to need a whole bunch of rubber bands which have the same color as your hair. If you can not find that color, just get some clear transparent ones.
How to do it:
- First of all, tie your hair into a low ponytail. Try to make it as low as you possibly can, it should be right there at the base of your head.
- After that, make a topsy-turvy ponytail. To do that, first put your pointer and middle fingers through your hair, right above the rubber band. Then, split your fingers apart to make a hole in the hair. After that, pull the ponytail over the rubber band and down through the hole. Pull-on it lightly and even out your hair.
- Then, slip on another rubber band on the ponytail and place it right below the previous one, a few inches below it.
- Now, once again repeat the 2nd step of creating another topsy turvy ponytail. Keep on doing that until you reach the ends of your hair. Tie your hair off at that point at the end.
Tips and Tricks
Now, learn about these tips and tricks to improve your technique and get more striking fishtail braids.
- If you want to try something new and different, you can also make a side fishtail braid. The technique is similar, you just have to work with one side section of your hair.
- You can incorporate a ribbon with your braiding to add a great and beautiful and eye-catching element to your braid.
- You can also roll up your braid and then tie it up into a bun. That looks really classy and powerful on some people and you can combine these techniques with each other to produce amazing results.
- You can add a variety of accessories and extensions to your hair to produce a whole range of great looks which will strike envy and admiration in the heart of onlookers.
You might find this article interesting How To Make Hair Thick, Easy Home Remedies For Women