How to prepare for the treatment
The gelatin treatment can be slightly drying on the hair. To prevent this effect, oil your thoroughly with coconut oil, a day before doing this treatment. This will nourish your hair and moisturize them so that they do not dry out from the gelatin.
- Heat up 1 cup of water.
- Add 1 tablespoon of gelatin powder to it.
- Mix the gelatin powder well until it is completely dissolved.
- Add 4 tablespoons of lemon juice to the mixture.
- Now allow the gel to cool down and place it in the refrigerator.
- While the gelatin mixture is still cooling down, wash your hair with a shampoo.
- Remove the excess water from your hair using a microfiber towel.
- While your hair is still wet, divide it into 4 sections. If you have thick and long hair, then you can divide your hair into more sections.
- Take the cooled gelatin mixture in your hand and start applying it section-wise. Apply it like you would apply a styling gel. If you have curly hair then you can scrunch your hair to give your curls a defined look. If you have straight hair, then simply slide the gel through your hair.
- Do not take more than 30 seconds to apply the gel on each hair section.
- Once done, you will notice that your hair will begin to stiffen quickly.
- Let the gel set on your hair. This can take up to 5 minutes.
- You will notice that the gelatin will begin to harden on your hair. Wait for it to dry up completely. If you want to speed up the drying process, you can also use a hair diffuser.
- Now, pour warm water over your hair. Let the gel soften on its own with the heat of the water.
- Once the gel has softened again, start massaging your hair to get the rest of the mixture out.
- Absorb all the excess water with a towel.
- You can use this treatment 3-4 times a month if you have oily hair. However, if you have dry hair, use this treatment once a month.
- Do not use any flavored form of gelatin powder for this treatment. Use the unflavored variety of powder.
- Do not use any substitute of gelatin powder for this treatment. The common substitute called agar-agar does not contain proteins and hence will be ineffective as a treatment.
- While adding the gelatin powder, keep whisking them mixture thoroughly so that there are no lumps formed. These lumps will be very hard to get rid of once formed.
- Do not do this treatment of unwashed or dirty hair. Freshly washed and wet hair will absorb this treatment better and allow the gelatin to bind to the hair. Try using a sulfate free shampoo or a clarifying shampoo to get rid of any residual dirt on your scalp.
- Once the gelatin has started drying up on your hair, do not touch it. This will disrupt the process. Let the gelatin set on your hair and wait for it to dry up naturally.
How this helps:
Gelatin is a form of hydrolyzed protein and is prepared by breaking down the component amino acids. It binds on the dry and damaged hair. This makes it an effective treatment for preventing split ends. It also helps in preventing hair fall as protein deficiency is the main cause of hair fall. This treatment will also help in enhancing the natural texture and shape of your hair.
You might find this article interesting Mayonnaise Hair Treatment