Ombre hair color essentially implies that the lower portion of the hair is lighter in shade compared to the upper portion, giving it an ombre effect. This effect is usually achieved by bleaching the hair. Bleach is harmful to the hair and can cause permanent damage to it. So we find the need to look for natural alternatives. The good news is, we do have natural ways to achieve the desired look at home.
Honey and Lemon Combination
Lemon is rich in citric acid. This enables it to lift the hair color naturally when exposed to sunlight. However, it can also make your hair dry. But this is only a minor concern because adding honey with lemon completely resolves this problem. Raw honey acts as a moisturizer and it also works the same as hydrogen peroxide, a harmful chemical used in bleaching hair. Combining lemon and raw honey not only lightens the hair but at the same time, the honey helps to retain the moisture in the hair. The best part is, the hair remains completely damage free.
All You Need for the Ombre Effect
- A bottle for spraying
- Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of raw honey
- ½ cup of distilled water
- Shampoo (silicon-free)
Please remember that the amount of lemon juice required for the process will vary depending on the length of your hair.
To Achieve Ombre Effect
- Mix all the ingredients together making sure they have blended well.
- Allow this mixture to sit for at least half an hour so that the natural hydrogen peroxide is activated.
- First, wash your hair with shampoo and let it dry completely. Always ensure that the shampoo is silicon-free, else the mixture will not work on the hair.
- Brush your hair to make it completely free of tangles.
- To ensure that your skin is well protected from burning always wear gloves. Also, ensure that your eyes are protected.
- Pour the mixture into the spray bottle and shake it well.
- Divide your hair into sections for ease of application.
- Now spray the ends of your hair, or as much of the length you want the ombre effect to cover.
- Sit in the sun for at least 30 minutes to allow the mixture to set in your hair strands.
- Wash your completely making sure no trace of the mixture remains.
- Finally, apply conditioner to your hair.
Tip: Adding a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to the mixture will give your hair a chestnut red or auburn color.
Points to Keep in Mind regarding the Procedure
- The effect on the hair is a permanent one and cannot be removed unless the hair is dyed.
- To make sure that the desired ombre is achieved it is advisable to test it out on a small strand of hair before applying to the whole hair.
- Since lemon and honey are natural ingredients they may not bleach the hair as quickly as store-bought chemical products. It might be required to follow up with the procedures over the next few days or weeks.