The skin on your elbows, knees, and heels get a lot of use and abuse through the course of a day. Dead skin cells accumulate there faster than the living skin beneath can naturally shed it, resulting in a dry, scaly coating that discolors easily. However, you can practise these simple skincare regimes to get soft and smooth elbows in no time at the comfort of your home.
- To release the shell of dead skin, do some deep exfoliation.
- Start by massaging lemon juice into your elbow, knee, or heel for several minutes.
- The acids in the lemon juice will help your skin release dead skin cells.
- The dead skin will become soft and white as it absorbs the juice.
- Using a warm, moist washcloth or pumice stone, along with a gentle body scrub, remove the dead skin.
- The best kind of body scrubs is oil-based.
- Use a gentle abrasive like sugar or salt rather than nut shells or plastic beads, which are harsh and can irritate the skin.
- When you expose the living skin underneath, don’t scrub too hard.
- Stripped of its outer layers, the soft skin will be very delicate.
- You will know you have removed most of the dead skin cells because your skin will feel smooth and supple.
- Protect the newly exposed skin with a deep moisturizer.
- If your skin feels dry and uncomfortable after exfoliation, apply aloe vera every morning, followed by a small amount of extra virgin olive oil.
- The antioxidants in olive oil promote skin healing.
- You can add aloe vera over the course of the day as needed, and repeat the aloe and olive oil routine before bed for the quickest recovery.
- The olive oil will also help soften your dead skin cells for removal.
- Continue moisturizing daily and exfoliating weekly to keep your elbows, knees, and heels feeling smooth and supple.
- If your skin stays very dry or you have a relapse, repeat the repair treatments above.
- The lemon scrub treatment can be repeated up to once a week, while the olive oil and aloe treatment is gentle enough to repeat daily as needed.
- Healing for these problem areas on your skin can take a while to take full effect; when the skin is dried and stressed, it tends to thicken and toughen.
- This is reversible, but it takes time; the toughened layers have to be gradually replaced by newer layers of skin from beneath, and you need to take care of the new skin to keep it from becoming tough and dry as well.
Use a body brush
- If you want to get rid of rough and coarse elbows, then use a body brush to gently scrub off the dead skin cells from your skin.
- Alternatively, you can dip your elbows in warm water for a while and then rub it with a body brush and some shower gel to gently exfoliate your skin and get rid of coarse elbows.
- Use a moisturizer immediately after washing and scrubbing.
- Alternatively, you can also use an oil like sweet almond oil or olive oil to lock in the nourishment.
Use a natural bleach
- We are all aware of the fact that lemon is a natural bleach and applying it to the affected areas helps to lighten and brighten the skin.
- If you have dark and rough elbows, then do not worry, just gather around a lemon and a sharp knife.
- Cut the lemon into 2 equal halves.
- Rub it on your elbows for a while.
- Rinse off with running tap water.
- Pat dry your skin with a towel.
- Apply a generous amount of moisturizer.
- Massage it into your skin until it gets absorbed completely.
Protect your elbows
- We often apply sunscreen lotion on our face only and tend to skip the elbows and hands.
- Hence it gets coarse and rough with continuous exposure to the sun and the environment.
- If you want an immediate cure for this problem, the slather on a thick layer of sunscreen lotion on the affected areas.
- Wear clothes that cover up your sleeves to minimize sun exposure.
- Even after taking a shower, apply a creamy moisturizer and then massage it in your skin to get soft elbows over time.
- You may change your skincare regime according to the weather, so do not change the products that you use on your face only, your body also needs intensive skincare at the end of the day.
Use extra virgin coconut oil
- If your elbows have turned rough then you must use an oil to intensely moisturize your skin.
- You can rely on virgin coconut oil as it is rich in omega 3 and omega 9 fatty acids and it penetrates into the deeper layers of your skin.
- For better results, just warm it up a little bit using the double boiler method and then massage it deeply into your skin.
- It is very essential to keep your skin moisturized so that it stays soft and supple all day long.
- If you have dry skin, then use extra virgin coconut oil every day after taking a shower.
- If you have extremely oily or greasy skin, then use it once or twice a week and you are good to go.
Use a skin buffer
- If you do not exfoliate your skin at all then consider using a skin buffer.
- It will help you get rid of the dead skin cells and leave your skin feeling smoother and tighter.
- Use some warm water to get rid of the dead skin cells.
- Skin buffers gently exfoliate your skin without causing any wear and tear and makes your skin soft, smooth and healthy in the long-run.
- Use an intensely moisturizing body butter to complete this skin care regime.
- You must follow it every day if you want soft and smooth elbows.
- However, you need to ensure that you are not being too abrasive with your skin or else you may end up with tiny zits and bumps on your skin.
- Use this skin care regim