What Happens When You Arrive
Most waxings occur in a private room with a door and take between 15 and 30 minutes. You’ll be left alone to remove everything from the waist down and lie on a table covered in clean paper or sheets. It is possible that you may be provided with a paper thong and if not, you can ask for one.
The paper thong may make you feel more comfortable, but with a Brazilian, your modesty is going to be tested. The waxer is going to see everything, so you may choose to forego the paper thong.
How Much Hair Should You Have?
A general rule of thumb is that hair needs to be 1/4 inch (about the length of a grain of rice) if it’s fine, a half-inch if it’s coarse, according to Cindy Barshop, owner of NYC’s Completely Bare spas. Any shorter and it’s too hard for the wax to grab onto. You’ll be sent home if the hair isn’t long enough.
You can help the waxer out by trimming your pubic hair with an electric razor before you go in. If your hair is much longer than required, your waxer may trim your pubic hair to the correct length.
The Brazilian Waxing Process
Your waxer should wear gloves during the wax and she should never double-dip the wooden waxing stick into the wax. Instead, she should use fresh sticks for each application. Waxing usually starts in the front and moves toward the back. You may be asked to help hold skin taut. Let your waxer know if you want a landing strip or everything off.
Here’s how the process using soft, melted waxworks (hard wax is a slightly different process):
- The waxer will liberally apply talcum powder to the skin. Talcum powder keeps hot wax from sticking to the skin.
- The best waxers are fast, which means less discomfort for you. The waxer will dip a wooden waxing stick into a pot of hot wax and then spread it onto your skin and hair in the direction of hair growth.
- She will then apply a cloth strip over the still-warm wax, pressing firmly so the cloth, hair, and wax adhere to one another.
- When the wax has cooled, she will pull the strip off, in the opposite direction of your hair growth, pulling the hairs out by the root. If the waxing at this point is too painful, ask the technician to apply strips to smaller areas at a time.
- Since the Brazilian means everything off except for a “landing strip” in the front, don’t be surprised when the technician removes the hair between the buttocks. Yes, hair grows there. You may be asked to turn over and lie on your stomach or you may be asked to kneel on the table.
Once the waxing is complete, the waxer will tweeze any stray hairs and she may trim the remaining landing strip
- The waxer may spread soothing lotion over the waxed areas.
Do’s and don’ts and what to expect:
- Do not schedule an appointment while chumming or right after your menstrual cycle gets over, that is the time when your body is more perceptive to touch and pain.
- Voice your opinion, do not shy away from letting the waxer know the kind of wax you would like to go for. Let the waxer know whether you would like a completely shaven bikini wax or you just want to get rid of pubic hairs that won’t show through a bikini.
- Use the restroom before the process starts, dressing and undressing continuously may get uncomfortable for you and take a lot of time.
- Do not arrive drunk at the salon before getting a bikini wax, it is unhealthy for you and uncomfortable for the waxer. Besides that, if you are drunk, your body will be more sensitive to pain.
- Don’t feel shy or nervous in front of your waxer, lie down an relax, for they won’t judge you.
- Do not shave in between your waxing sessions. Wait for your hair to grow back to a quarter of an inch and then go for waxing.
- Do not wear clothes that tightly cling to your body after getting a bikini wax done, it will be uncomfortable and messy for you, besides that your skin may go through chaffing making the overall experience even worse.
- If you find ingrown hair below the waist, do not pluck or pick on them, leave it on the professional to help you get rid of them the right way.
- Make sure that you are clean while you come for a bikini wax in the salon to enjoy a hassle-free experience.
- If you are allergic to a particular chemical compound or if you are on medication for a particular health issue then let your waxer know about it ahead of time.
- Skip the gym or spin class the day you get your bikini waxing done to let your muscles and skin relax.
- Consume an over the counter pain killer if the pain gets on your nerves.
- Make sure that your waxer does not use the same wooden spoon or spatula twice while applying hot wax on your private parts.
- If you want this process to be hassle-free and less painful then get yourself waxed every 15-20 days.
- To soothe tiny zits and bumps that pop right after a bikini waxing session, exfoliate the area gently with a regular body scrub and then follow up with a body lotion to get the best results.
- Make sure that your waxer wears a pair of disposable gloves and sanitizer her palms before starting with the process.
- You will experience pain, be prepared for it. Even though the threshold of pain varies from person to person, you are bound to feel excruciating pain below the belt area while waxing.