Scalp sores are one of the most embarrassing skin conditions that may cause frequent urges to scratch the scalp due to irritation and pain in the region. These sores can be caused by contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, head lice, scalp psoriasis, ringworm in the scalp and so on. They may sometimes cause temporary hair loss. In treating these sores, anti-fungal shampoos and other available medicines are not always effective. Instead, using simple home remedies is a cheaper and more beneficial option. It is also necessary to locate the exact cause of the sore to ensure that there is no serious underlying illness. However, an early detection of the sore in most cases ensures complete healing at home in a cost-effective way.
- The Need for Clean Hair-
In order to have a healthy scalp, it is always essential to take care of one’s hair and scalp.
- Regular washing of the hair is a must.
- Any minor cut or scratch on the scalp must be treated immediately to prevent the formation of sores.
- It is also essential to let the hair to dry completely before brushing it or tying it up. This will not only prevent hair fall but will also prevent damage to the scalp.
- Care must be taken to avoid sharing combs, brushes, towels and other objects that come in contact with the scalp directly.
- Using Apple Cider Vinegar for its Anti-fungal Properties-
Apple cider vinegar is well-known as an anti-fungal agent. It is also easily available. It helps to restore the pH balance of the scalp. It also removes bacteria and fungi that are likely causes of the sore.
- To use apple cider vinegar, mix 2 tablespoons in 1 cup of warm water.
- Apply this on the scalp and massage the scalp for at least 5 minutes.
- Then wash your hair to completely rinse out the vinegar.
- Repeat this process at least once or twice every week.
- While using apple cider vinegar it is necessary to remember that undiluted vinegar is considered harmful for the scalp.
- It is also advisable to avoid shampoo immediately after the wash to retain the benefits of the vinegar.
- Coconut Oil as Moisturizer-
Coconut oil is considered an age-old product for healthy hair and hair growth. In treating scalp sores, it is effective because it keeps the scalp moisturized. When scalp sores occur the scalp is usually dry and patchy. A warm scalp massage with coconut oil helps to reduce this dryness by providing adequate moisture to the scalp. Coconut oil can also help to treat head lice.
- To use coconut oil, ensure that the oil is warm.
- Add a small amount of camphor to it and apply this directly on the scalp.
- Massage your scalp for a few minutes and leave the oil to seep into your scalp overnight.
- Wash your hair with shampoo the next day.
- Repeat this treatment at least 2 to 3 times a week.
Sores on the scalp are quite common. With the right kind of treatment, it is possible to cure them completely. However, once cured, it is important to take good care of the scalp to prevent any further occurrence. Healthy habits always ensure a healthy scalp.