Scalp psoriasis is a very common skin disorder that affects many people. People develop reddish and scaly patches on their scalp. It can spread easily from the scalp to other areas such as the back of the neck, forehead or even behind the ears. However, it can be treated at home. Here are a few home remedies to treat scalp psoriasis.
Aloe Vera for Scalp Psoriasis
- 8 drops of lavender oil
- 1/4th cup of aloe vera gel
- Take aloe vera gel (preferably extracted fresh gel from an aloe leaf) and blend it with lavender oil.
- Apply this mixture onto your scalp and let it sit for 25 minutes.
- Then rinse it off with plain water and a mild shampoo.
- Apply it twice or thrice a week on the affected region.
Aloe vera gel soothes the itching and irritation of scalp psoriasis and its anti-inflammatory and antioxidants help in reducing the swelling and treats psoriasis faster.
Essential Oils and Coconut oil
- 2-3 teaspoons virgin coconut oil
- 6-8 drops of lavender/ tea tree/ neem/ peppermint essential oil
- Lightly heat the coconut oil.
- Then add the essential oil you prefer.
- Apply on scalp and massage.
- Leave it in overnight. Then wash it next morning with plain water and a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this at least twice a week for best results. This treatment gives your skin relief from the symptoms of scalp psoriasis and lock’s the oils’ nutrients in your skin. It helps prevent the dry patches in your scalp from spreading and recurring.
Epsom Salt for Scalp Psoriasis
- Regular shampoo
- 1 tablespoon Epsom salt
- Mix the salt in your regular shampoo.
- Rinse your scalp with plain water then.
The dry skin is exfoliated by the salt and Epsom salt helps in soothing the itchiness. It infiltrates scales and plaques and gives you relief.
Garlic with Oil
- 1/4th cup coconut or olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- Roast garlic lightly in a pan, then crush this and add it to the oil.
- Keep this concoction aside for 1-2 days.
- Apply this oil onto the scalp and let it sit for an hour.
- Rinse it off with water and shampoo.
- Use this 1-2 times a week for best results.
Garlic’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties help treat various symptoms associated with scalp psoriasis. It helps reduce the irritation and infection caused by scalp psoriasis.
Witch Hazel for Psoriasis
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2-3 tablespoons witch hazel extract
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo
- Dilute the witch hazel extract with water.
- Apply this concoction on your scalp and massage for two to three minutes.
- Rinse it off after some time.
- Use this treatment once a week.
Witch hazel is known to have anti-inflammatory and astringent properties which help in treating skin conditions such as scalp psoriasis. Itchiness, flaky skin and irritation can be reduced to a considerable extent by using this.
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- Apply the yogurt onto your scalp.
- Wash it with plain water and shampoo.
- Use it once a week for improvement in condition.
Yogurt has anti-inflammatory properties and anti-bacterial properties too, which help both in treating the irritation and controlling the spread of psoriasis.
These are some easy and extremely effective ways of treating scalp psoriasis without putting in too much effort. Please let us know if you have more home remedies for scalp psoriasis treatment in the comments below!