An eyeliner is a cosmetic product that is used to define the eyes. It is generally applied around the corners of the eyes in such a way that it highlights the eyes. Depending on the texture one prefers, eyeliner can either be smudged or highly defined. There are different kinds of eyeliners available, such as – liquid eyeliner, powder-based eye pencil, wax-based eyeliner and gel eyeliner. The most commonly used eyeliners are liquid and gel eyeliner. Eyeliners are commonly available in stores; however, one can also make their own eyeliner at home. So let’s start exploring how to apply eyeliner.
How to Apply Eyeliner
When selecting an eyeliner style, you must also consider your eye colour, skin colour, and the kind of make-up look you’re going for. For instance, if your face makeup is light and natural, you should choose a basic or wing eyeliner style. The different ways in which one can apply eyeliner are:
Neat Cat Eyeliner Look
This eyeliner style will look good if you’re going for a simple look. For this style,
- Simply draw a neat line over your eyelids.
- You can also apply kajal on your lower lash for a more defined look.
- Draw a small upward curve at the end of your eyelids for a cat eyeliner look.
Half Cat Eyeliner Look
This eyeliner style is even simpler than the cat eyeliner style. For this look,
- You simply draw a neat line over your eyelids and curve them toward the end only slightly.
Smudged Out-liner Look
For this look,
- Start by the lining of your lashes with a black kajal pencil, and blend it into an almond shape and cover your entire eyelid.
- You can also blend the eyeliner with a smudge brush, creating a smoky-eye look.
- This style will look the best on bold make-up.
Lower Lash Eyeliner Look
This style looks best on small eyes or oval eyes. If you have black or brown eyes, it is best to use a coloured eyeliner for this style.
- Use a flat eyeliner brush for this style, and trace it on your lower lash line by drawing a neat line.
- Now, use a dark pencil eyeliner and draw dots along the bottom lash and blend it for a smoky low lash-line look.
Thick Cat-eye Look
This style works best on heavy face makeup as it adds to the boldness. For this eyeliner style,
- Use a thick gel liner and draw a thick neat line on your eyelids.
- Then, use a liquid eyeliner and make a sharp, tiny curve from the end of the line to the bottom lash-line for a more edgy and defined look.
- Make this curve thick and dark if you prefer a bold look.
- This style works best for big and round eyes.
Minimal Eyeliner Look
This style is the most recommended for an everyday office look. It is simple and minimal. For this style,
- Use a thin eyeliner brush. First, trace your eyelids with a thin neat line and curve it a little in the end, if you want to.
- Then, apply mascara on your eyelashes for a more defined look.
The “V” Eyeliner Look
This style looks best on people who have oval or big eyes. If your eyes are brown or black in colour, use a jet-black eyeliner for this style. For this style,
- Use a thin eyeliner brush and apply it on 3/4th of your eyelid.
- Leave the corner of your eyelid bare.
- Then, extend the eyeliner and trace it on your lower lash up to the corner of your eye.
- You can also trace a shorter line on your lower lash if you are not going for a bold look.
Subtle Winged Eyeliner Look
This is a simple 60s look, which will go best with simple face make-up and round eyes. For this look,
- Use a fine liquid eyeliner and a thin brush.
- Trace a fine, neat line on your eyelid that slightly extends from the inner corner of your eye to the outer corner.
- Extend this line upward, toward the tail of your eyebrow.
- Apply less pressure on the eyeliner brush so that the look remains soft and the liner is not too thick.
Party Eyeliner Look
For this style,
- Cover your eyelid with either a dark grey eyeliner or a brown eyeliner with a thick eyeliner brush.
- Line the upper outer corners of your eyelids with a black or a coloured eyeliner and extend the liner toward the tail of your eyebrow.
- For a bolder look, use a bronze eyeshadow on the remaining bare parts of the eyelid.
Bold Winged Eyeliner Look
This look is best for parties and business meetings. To make the application of this style easier, you can place a small piece of tape at the corner of your eye.
- This piece of tape should extend from the corner of your eye toward your eyebrow.
- Now, using a thick eyeliner brush, draw a neat straight line on your eyelids and then use the tape as a reference for your “winged” look.
- Continue drawing a slant line against the tape and once you’re done, remove the tape carefully.
- You can blend and smooth out the line as per your preference.
How to Make Your Own Eyeliner
The biggest advantage of homemade eyeliner is that it has no side effects and, it won’t cause irritation to one’s skin. Sometimes, store-bought eyeliners may contain chemicals that can cause agitation and irritation to sensitive skin. Thus, if you have sensitive skin, or don’t prefer chemicals in your eyeliner, you can make your own eyeliner at home. The different ways to make your own eyeliner are –
1. Using Activated Charcoal – For this, you will have to buy activated charcoal capsules from a drug store or online. To make this eyeliner, you will need –
- One capsule of activated charcoal, and
- 1 teaspoon of water.
- If you want an eyeliner with the consistency of a gel, you can use 1 teaspoon of coconut or almond oil.
- If you want a thick eyeliner, you can use 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel.
The steps to make the eyeliner are:
- Break the capsule in a container or an old tin or a lip gel container that is empty.
- You can use this plain activated charcoal since it will blend with the oil that your skin contains once you apply it. Dip the eyeliner brush and coat it with the activated charcoal and apply it on your eyelids in your favourite style.
- However, if you prefer a liquid eyeliner over powder eyeliner, you can mix the activated charcoal with 1 teaspoon of water. Your liquid eyeliner is ready.
- If you want a gel-like consistency or a thick eyeliner, you will need to use 1 teaspoon of coconut oil or almond oil for gel eyeliner. You can use 1 teaspoon of aloe-vera gel for a thick eyeliner.
- Start with mixing only a few drops oil or aloe vera gel and then add more till the eyeliner reaches your desired consistency. You can now use the eyeliner.
2. Using Almonds – To make an eyeliner with the use of almonds, you will need –
- A raw almond which is not roasted,
- A pair of tweezers,
- A lighter, and
- A butter-knife.
- A small container to keep the eyeliner.
- 1 teaspoon of either water, coconut oil, almond oil, or aloe vera gel, as per your preference and availability of materials.
The steps of making this eyeliner are:
- Hold the almond between the tweezers and heat it with the lighter.
- Keep heating the almond until it is half burnt and smoky. The almond should be fully black.
- Put on gloves as a safety measure before burning the almond.
- Make sure to rotate the almond while heating it so that it gets burnt evenly.
- Now scrape out the black soot (ash) from it in a container using a butter knife. This black ash is your eyeliner.
- If you need more amount of eyeliner, simply burn the entire almond and use its ash. Scrape the soot carefully, making sure that you have not extracted any unburnt almond into the container.
- If you prefer using a powdered eyeliner, this ash is your eyeliner. You can apply it in your favourite style and the powdered soot will eventually blend with the oil in your skin to give it a more consistent look.
- However, if you like your eyeliner to be of a gel consistency, simply mix the soot with a few drops of water, or coconut oil (or almond oil and aloe vera gel, based on your preference).
- Mix the ingredients till you get your desired consistency and apply the eyeliner in your favourite style.
3. Using Cocoa Powder – If you want a coloured eyeliner, you can use cocoa powder to make a brown eyeliner. To make this eyeliner, you will need –
- 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder, and
- ½ teaspoon of water, coconut oil, almond oil or aloe-vera gel, based on your preference.
The steps to make this eyeliner are:
- Take a teaspoon of cocoa powder in a small container.
- Mix it with a few drops of water, coconut oil, almond oil, or aloe-vera gel until it has a gel-like consistency.
- Use an eyeliner brush and apply it on your eyelids in your favourite style.
4. Using Beetroot Powder – you can use beetroot powder to make a red eyeliner. To make this eyeliner, you will need :
- 1 capsule of activated charcoal,
- 1 and a ½ teaspoon of beetroot powder, and
- A few drops of water, coconut oil, almond oil, or aloe vera gel.
The following are the steps to make this eyeliner:
- Break the activated charcoal into a container.
- Mix the beetroot powder with the activated charcoal.
- Now, add a few drops of coconut oil, almond oil, aloe vera gel or water to this mixture.
- Mix until you get your desired consistency.
- Apply the eyeliner on your eyelids with your eyeliner brush.
5. Using Beeswax – If you like your eyeliner to be more thick and consistent, then you will have to use beeswax. To make this eyeliner, you will need –
- ½ teaspoon of grated beeswax,
- ½ teaspoon of oil. You can use coconut oil, almond oil, or lavender oil.
- ¼ teaspoon of activated charcoal, and
- ¼ teaspoon of distilled water.
To make this eyeliner, follow the below steps:
- Mix the oil and the wax together.
- Now, add the activated charcoal and mix it thoroughly.
- Once the mixture is ready, add the water in small amounts and mix it until it’s thoroughly mixed.
- Your eyeliner is ready. You can store it in the refrigerator for up to a month.
Here are several precautions one must take when using an eyeliner:
- Always wash your hands before applying eye makeup. You should never touch your eyes with unwashed hands when applying makeup on your eyes. This is done to avoid contact with bacteria and germs.
- If you’re using store-bought eyeliner, make sure to replace it with a new one in every six months. If you’re using homemade eyeliner, replace it with a new one every month. This is because makeup also has a shelf life and should not be used after its recommended time frame.
- If you have an eye infection and you use an eyeliner during that time, it is advisable to replace the eyeliner once your eye infection is recovered. This is because your eyeliner has been exposed to the bacteria as well and it can harm your eyes, again.
- If you’re using homemade eyeliners, it is important to store them in a cool, dry place to prolong their shelf-life.
- If you’re using an eyeliner pencil and it is dry or has hard edges, it is better to replace it with a new eyeliner pencil. This is because, if your pencil is hard or too dry, you will have to press them down more firmly on your eyelids while applying the eyeliner. This increases the pressure put on your cornea which is harmful.
- Replace your eyeliner brushes in every six months. Make sure to clean your brushes every week to avoid eye infections.
- If your eyes burn after applying an eyeliner or kajal, wash it out immediately with cold water and avoid using that product in the future.
Myths and Facts About Eyeliners
Here are some myths about eye makeup and their corresponding facts:
|Expensive eyeliners work better than cheap eyeliners.||This is not true. Some expensive eyeliners may contain harmful chemicals that can cause more harm than good. Most of the times, the ingredients in all eyeliners are almost the same irrespective of their price.|
|You must apply a primer on your eyelids before applying an eyeliner.||It’s okay if you don’t apply a primer on your eyelids before applying eye makeup. Primer only makes your eyes look more polished and sharp. However, it is not a necessity to apply a primer every time you apply an eyeliner or eye makeup.|
|It’s okay to share your eye makeup with others.||Sharing any makeup should be avoided as much as possible. You should not share your eye makeup with others. This is because you should avoid the spread of germs and bacteria as much as you can. If someone has an eye infection and they use your eyeliner, it is more likely for you to get that infection as well.|
|Cleaning one’s eyeliner brush every week is not important.||It is very important to clean your eyeliner brush or any makeup brush every week to avoid infections or rashes. Usually, when brushes are not cleaned for a long period of time, bacteria in the air can gather over them which can be harmful.|
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is homemade eyeliner safe? Yes, homemade eyeliner is completely safe to use and doesn’t have any side-effects?
It is usually best for sensitive eyes or people who don’t like using products with chemicals.
- Do you need to remove my eye makeup before going to sleep?
Yes, it is advisable to remove your makeup before sleeping and eye makeup is no exception to it. This is because, our skin rejuvenates when we’re sleeping and if you have make-up on, it interferes with this process.
- Is it important to wash or clean your makeup brushes even if you’re the only one who uses it?
Yes, it is extremely important to clean your makeup brushes, irrespective of how many people use it. The longer you avoid washing them, greater the chances of bacteria settling on them, which can harm your skin.
- If I’m using homemade eyeliner, should I still replace it after a period?
All makeup products have a shelf life and so does homemade eyeliner. It is advisable to replace your home-made eyeliner every month or at least once in every two months in order to avoid any eye infections.
You might find this article interesting The Best Eyeliner For Eye Makeup, Precautions & More