Changing your hairstyle is a sure-shot way of changing your appearance without making too many changes. If you are running out of time and do not have the budget to get it done in a salon, then you can easily do it at home using lemon. Yes, you read that right, I am sure that you know that lemon is a natural bleach and it helps to lihten the skin complexion, it can also work wonders for your scalp. Do not worry, applying lemon does not mean that you will end up with grey hair, just mix it with the right ingredients to make your own hair-dye with lemon.
How to prepare the hair dye:
- To start making your ‘dye’ for hair coloring, you need lemons.
- Take as many lemons you need to achieve full coverage (or partial coverage, in case you are doing just the highlights).
- Take the lemons, and apply pressure with the heel of your hand, roll them on a hard surface.
- This is a good trick to extract more juice out of any citrus fruit.
How to apply the hair dye:
- Cut the lemons in quarters.
- Boil a cup of water.
- With this hot water, mix the freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Make sure that the juice and water are equal in volume.
- If your hair dries out quickly, this may make it even frizzier.
- So mix equal parts of orange juice (since it has some acidic content, though less than that of a lemon).
- If you have dry hair, you can also add a squeeze of conditioner to the lemon mixture and whisk well.
Soak the natural hair dye in the Sun:
- Pour the mixture in a spray bottle and cover your entire hair by spritzing.
- Once your whole hair is covered, run a sparse bristled brush across your hair.
- You may also want to get highlights instead of full coverage.
- For this, soak a strip of gauze in the lemon mixture and holding the section of hair in your hand, wipe it with the strip of gauze.
- You may need to do a few coats in order to get the desirable contrast.
- Also, keep some clips handy.
- Once you are done with the strips, attach a clip to easily pick them up every time.
The last finishing touch:
- You need to sit in direct sunlight for at least one hour or more for the change in hair color to become visible.
- So, pick a spot and sit facing away from the sun so that your hair gets most of the exposure.
- Also, since you are going to sit in the harsh sun for long, it is advised to wear sunscreen.
- Wear one with SPF 15 by applying it thickly all over your face, neck and any exposed part of your skin.
- After an hour in the sun, reapply the juice and soak for another thirty minutes.
All that you need to know about Natural Additives:
- To complete the whole hair lightening process, wash your hair once the color is set and give your mane deep conditioning.
- This is necessary because lemon juice drastically lowers your hair’s pH level, which makes it dry out quickly.
- If you want your new highlighted locks to look smooth and silky, deep conditioning is absolutely necessary.
- There are various additives that you can incorporate into your natural hair lightener to enhance the effect of the lightener or make your hair softer and smoother.
Apart from pure lemon, there are other ingredients that you can use along with lemon juice to get similar effects, alter the quantities of your ingredients depending upon your skin type, keeping the ratios intact.
Cassia and lemon juice hair dye recipe:
- This looks like cinnamon but has a different taste and a slightly golden color.
- Crush into powder and mix with the lemon juice to give your hair a golden glow tinge.
- After mixing the ingredients and preparing your hair dye, you need to comb our hair with a detangler to make sure that there are no knots in your hair.
- Then divide your hair into small sections, use dragon clips to segregate properly if you want a mildly highlighted effect.
- Put on a pair of gloves.
- Take a generous amount of this mixture on your hair-dye brush.
- Apply it on each section of our hair, from the roots to the tips.
- Wear a shower cap to avoid this natural hair dye from dripping and staining your outfit.
- Keep it on for an hour or two to make sure that the color transfers in your hair strands properly.
- Then wash it off with your regular shampoo if you do not have a hair color protecting shampoo.
- Follow up with a nourishing hair conditioner.
- Cover your hair in a cotton t-shirt for a while and let it soak up all the excess moisture from our hair.
- Blow-dry your hair.
- Apply a hair serum.
- Comb your hair and style it the way you like it the most.
Chamomile Tea-lemon juice natural hair dye recipe:
- Steep the tea in the hot water before adding lemon juice.
- This helps in giving you nice golden highlights.
- Once your hair dye is ready, it is time to apply it properly.
- Use a detangler to make sure that your hair is free from knots.
- Divide your hair into small sections to make the process easier.
- Then, take a generous amount of this hair dye on our hair dye brush.
- Apply it evenly all over your hair strands from the roots to the tips.
- Put on a shower cap to avoid any mess.
- Let it sit for an hour or so.
- Then rinse off with your regular shampoo and hair conditioner.
- Blow-dry and style your hair the way you like it the most to get the best results.
Apart from lemon, thre are a few more ingredients lying idle in your kitchen that can give you natural hair highlights, here are some of them:
- Cinnamon also helps in imparting a brown, golden tinge to your hair. It works well on darker hair.
- It helps in conditioning your hair and cuts down the frizz.
- All you have to do is justmix it with a little bit of lemon juice and you are good to go.
- Lemon juice will condition, soften and make your hair look more healthy and voluminous while also giving you those parlor-like streaks at home.
You might find this article interesting Dark Neck, 20 Home Remedies To Get Rid Of It