Nail fungus or medically known onychomycosis is a skin condition that infects a part or whole of your nail. These can typically be noticed as yellow, white or brown discoloration of one or more toenails. It is really was gross as it sounds, nobody wants to look down to such a sight? The worst part is that it can spread and can cause permanent damage to your beautiful toenails. As effective as is medical treatment is, it also comes with a lot of side effects. Therefore, here are some home remedies for you that’ll help you get rid of that nasty fungal infection.
Oregano oil contains thymol, which is known to have antibacterial and antifungal properties. Therefore oregano oil can be a good solution for toenail fungus.
- Oregano oil and cotton ball
- Using a cotton ball, apply oregano oil on the affected area.
- Repeat twice a day for fast results.
Vinegar is kind of a grandma’s medicine for treating toenail fungus. It is a safe remedy and there’s no harm in trying it.
- Vinegar, water, and a bucket or tub.
- Heat the water till it’s lukewarm.
- Add one part vinegar in two parts of water.
- Soak your feet in it for about 20 minutes daily.
Garlic is a natural antifungal, and a perfect remedy for hard to reach areas such as the toenail.
- Lukewarm water and garlic
- Moist the affected area with lukewarm water to open up the pores.
- Apply crushed or chopped pieces of garlic for about 30 minutes daily.
- If needed, you can also cover it with a cotton bandage to keep the garlic in place.
Tea tree oil
Researches have shown that tea tree oil can also be effective for toenail fungus.
- Tea tree oil and a cotton swab
- Clean and dry your toenail before applying the oil.
- Put a small amount of oil on the nail with a cotton swab.
- Do this daily for at least a few months.
Although this may sound weird, vick’s vaporub has actually been proven to be useful in the treatment of toenail fungus. This ointment usually used for a cough contains camphor and eucalyptus oil which can treat it.
- Vick’s vaporub
- Apply a small amount of Vicks on toenail at least once a day.
Another unexpected thing added to the list. Listerine actually contains ingredients such as menthol, thymol, and eucalyptus, which are antifungal and thus suitable for treating toenail fungus.
- Listerine and a small bowl
- Take some Listerine in the bowl, enough for you to easily dip your affected foot.
- Soak the foot for 30 minutes daily.
Corn contains a form of fungus that is deadly to the parasite that causes infections in humans, and so is an interesting solution to toenail fungus.
- Organic cornmeal, water, and a container
- Mix one cup of oatmeal in two-quarters of water.
- Let it sit for about one hour.
- Soak your affected feet in the mixture for half an hour or more.
- Repeat few times a week.