Tinea cruris also known as Jock itch is an infection caused by a fungus/yeast called trichophyton rubrum. This may occur in both men and women, it generally infects the upper thighs and groin region. However, it does not affect the genital region, in severe cases, it may spread to the anal region and cause itching and discomfort. This type of itching or rash is caused mainly due to unhygienic practices such as prolonged moistness in the groin area, unwashed clothes, allergic reaction to cloth type and etc.
- Symptoms of Jock itch
- 20 Natural Remedies
- Over the counter drugs
- Myths & Facts
Below are a few characteristics to look out for as they might indicate this issue
- Redness and burning sensation
- Itchy patch
- Infection has a defined boundary
It spreads easily via contact and therefore proper hygiene should be maintained so that the infection does not spread to other body parts, or to another person. A jock itch is fairly easy to treat and does not require any fancy treatment. Below are 20 home remedies to treat this skin disease.
20 Natural Remedies
1. Turmeric Ingredient:
Benefit: Turmeric is an age old Indian spice. The presence of curcumin in turmeric gives it anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antioxidant and antibacterial properties. It is no wonder that it is called the ‘Queen of Spices’. Turmeric will also replenish skin tissue in the armpit region, making it softer and lighter in color. Directions:
- Take 1-2 tablespoons of turmeric and mix it in water to form a thick paste.
- Apply this paste to the infection and let it dry. ( Leave it one for approximately 10-15 minutes)
- Afterward, rinse and clean the infected area with cold water making sure residues are left.
2. White Vinegar Ingredient:
- White Vinegar
Benefit: It is a natural antiseptic, and due to its antifungal properties it helps treat jock itches. It will help reduce itching sensation and fasten the healing process. Directions:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of vinegar to 4 tablespoons of water.
- Dip a cotton ball into this mixture and apply it to the infected skin
- Keep the mixture until it dries completely.
- You need not wash the affected area afterward as vinegar evaporates.
- Repeat these steps daily for a few weeks.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar Ingredient:
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Warm Water
Benefit: Apple cider vinegar is a great antifungal, antibacterial and antiseptic agent. It prevents further growth of rash, promoting healing and cleanliness. It is readily available in any supermarket. Directions:
- Mix equal parts of water and apple cider vinegar in order to dilute the solution
- Apply it to the jock itch directly.
- You may also put this mixture in the fridge allowing it cool. Application of cool apple cider solution may yield better results.
- Afterward wash the area carefully and dry off carefully. Avoid using any used towels.
4. Garlic Ingredient: Garlic Benefit: Garlic is a natural antibacterial and antifungal agent. The presence of sulfides such as monosulfides, disulfides, and trisulfides is what makes garlic an amazing natural antifungal agent. Directions: There are many ways you can use garlic to treat this problem I. Garlic paste
- Crush 4-5 garlic cloves making it into a paste.
- Apply garlic paste to affected area.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes, letting it dry.
- Wash the infected area properly afterward
II. Garlic and Honey Mixture
- Crush 4-5 garlic cloves
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey to the garlic paste
- Apply this paste to the affected area. Garlic may sometimes sting and therefore the addition of honey will make the mixture
- mellow and mild.
- Leave this paste on for 10-15 minutes
- Wash and clean the infected area properly.
III. Garlic, coconut oil, and tea tree oil mixture
- Crush a few garlic cloves
- Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of tea tree oil to the mixture and let it soak for one day.
- Apply this paste on the jock itch and let it dry.
- Afterward, rinse and clean the infected area
5. Salt Bath Ingredient:
- 1-2 cups of salt
- Warm water bath
Benefit: Salt baths a very effective when it comes to a this problem. It help kills the fungus and fastens the healing process. Directions:
- Make sure you fill your tub with warm water.
- Add 2 cups of salt to the warm water tub.
- Sit in this salt bath for 30-40 minutes daily until it heals. (You may also use epsom salt baths if available.)
6. Aloe Vera Ingredient: Aloe Vera leaf or Aloe Vera gel Benefit: Aloe Vera is used to treating a wide range of skin infection. It has anti-inflammatory, properties and heals the skin from deep within. However, aloe vera gel has an extra ingredient called glycoproteins which speed up the healing process and prevent further growth and spread of the fungus. Directions:
- Crush some aloe vera leaves until all the juices ooze out.
- Apply this to the regions that are infected with the fungus.
- Leave it one for 20-30 minutes and let it dry.
- Use aloe vera gel regularly on the affected area until the infection starts reducing.
7. Onion Ingredient: 1 Onion Benefit: The presence of sulfur compounds in onions is what gives it antibacterial properties. When you cut an onion the release of sulfuric acid is what causes the eyes to water. The presence of the sulfuric acid gives onions its acidic properties. Directions:
- Blend one whole onion make sure no lumps remain so that it is a smooth paste.
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt to the paste.
- Apply this to the affected area and leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
- Afterward wash the infected area properly and gently.
8. Bleach Ingredient: 1/4th cup bleach Benefit: Bleach consists of all antifungal properties. Although utmost precautions should be taken when using bleach. Bleach is quite a strong chemical and thus may leave scars. Make sure you are not allergic to bleach and it you are using it in diluted form Directions:
- Add 1/4th cup bleach and 1 cup sea salt to your warm water bath.
- Soak in it for 15-30minutes.
- Repeat this step daily for better effects.
9. Neem Ingredient: Neem leaves/ Neem oil Benefit: Neem is one of those ancient herbs that has been used for thousands of years to treat a wide range of cuts, wounds, and diseases. Neem is by far the best antifungal and antibacterial agent. It will cleanse the infected area of any germs, killing fungal spores promoting faster healing and removal of any scar tissue. Directions:
- Apply neem oil to the affected area.
- You may also put neem leaves in your hot water bath and soak in it.
- Lastly, you can make a paste out of the neem leaves and apply it directly on the rash.
10. Honey Ingredient: 1 tablespoon Honey Benefit: Honey is a natural moisturizer. It will help reduce the itchiness and burning sensation associated with this skin problem. Directions:
- Apply honey to the affected area daily and make sure to wash it properly afterward.
- You may also mix some honey with garlic and apply it to affected area as it will enhance the healing process. (Mentioned above)
11. Coconut Oil Ingredient: Coconut oil Benefit: Coconut oil remedies the skin deeply. It will soothe the itchiness and burning sensation. Directions:
- Apply coconut oil regularly to the infected area.
12. Baking Soda Ingredient:
- Baking soda
- Sea salt
- Warm water
Benefit: Baking soda helps reduce the moisture in the infected area. It also helps balance and maintain optimal pH in the groin region. Baking soda will also help fasten the recovery process. Directions:
- Make sure you are taking a warm water bath.
- Add 1 cup of baking soda and 1-2 cups sea salt to your warm water bath.
- Soak in this warm water bath for 30 minutes daily until it heals.
13. Listerine Ingredient: Listerine mouthwash Benefit: It has antibacterial, antiseptic and antifungal properties. It is a great natural remedy for this problem and is readily available. Directions:
- Dip a cotton ball in some listerine mouthwash and apply to infected area.
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes till it drys.
- Apply regularly until healing is visible.
Precaution: If you have any open wounds or cuts around your groin region or upper thighs refrain from using listerine. 14. Lavender Oil Ingredient: 2-3 tablespoons of Lavender Oil Benefit: It has antiseptic and antifungal properties and therefore helps in the healing process. When compared to tea tree oil and other oils lavender oil is mild in nature and therefore may be used on children as well. Not only does it prevent fungal growth it will also prevent scarring. Directions:
- Apply 2-3 tablespoons of lavender oil on the affected area daily.
- You may also mix other essential oils such as coconut oil, tea tree oil and olive oil to the mixture.
15. Vinegar and Salt mixture Ingredient: Vinegar, salt Benefit: Vinegar, as mentioned, has antifungal properties, It also helps balance the pH level. Whereas salt helps kills the fungus and reduce itchiness. Directions:
- Mix 1-2 tablespoons of vinegar with 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Apply this paste to the affected area and leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
- Afterward, clean and dry the infected area properly.
- Repeat these steps once daily for about 2-3 weeks.
16. Papaya Ingredient: 1 raw papaya Benefit: Papaya consists of enzymes that have antifungal properties. These enzymes will soothe any burning sensations. Since papayas are great for skin care purposes it will also make smoothen the infected area. Directions: I. Raw Papaya
- Rub raw papaya on the affected area.
- Leave it on for 20-30minutes until it drys
- Wash afterward and make sure you cleanse the area thoroughly.
II. Papaya Seeds
- Cut 1 raw papaya and separate the seeds (make sure you don’t throw it away).
- Let these seeds dry out (leave it for at least a day or two).
- Afterward, crush these dried out papaya seeds and make a paste out it.
- Apply it to the affected area regularly for about 2-3 weeks.
17. Rubbing Alcohol Ingredient: Isopropyl Alcohol (90%) Cotton Ball Benefit: A warm and moist environment is optimal for this kind of itching causing fungus. Isopropyl alcohol, also known as rubbing alcohol acts as a drying agent as it evaporates quickly. Since it is 90% alcohol it also helps kill the fungus itself. Directions:
- Dip a cotton ball into the alcohol and apply it to affected area gently.
- The alcohol evaporates easily and helps soothe the itching and burning sensation.
18. Tea Tree Oil Ingredient:
- Tea tree oil
- Coconut oil
Benefit: Tea tree oil has very strong antifungal properties. It will help reduce itchiness and alleviate the infected area from any burning sensation. Directions:
- Mix 3-4 drop tea tree oil with 1-2 drops of olive oil or coconut oil, this helps dilute the solution as tea tree oil stings a little.
- Apply this mixture over the infected area daily until it heals.
19. Cornstarch Ingredient: Cornstarch Benefit: It is the main ingredient present in various baby powders. Cornstarch naturally helps the reduce itchiness, keeps the infected area dry and soothes the burning sensation. Directions:
- Once you have washed the affected area carefully you may apply cornstarch afterward.
- Cornstarch can be used in the form of a powder.
20. Change in diet plan Changing your diet plan is quite essential when it comes to jock itch. Food that is high in sugar and carbohydrate content enhance and promote fungal growth. Also, consumption of alcohol increase growth of yeast and fungus and thus should be avoided. Make sure you take wholesome diet which is rich in vegetables.
- Keep your inner thighs and groin region dry. Make sure you pay utmost attention to hygiene and cleanliness.
- Do not use any hard soaps on the affected area.
- Make sure you keep your undergarments clean.
- Do not wear tight clothes as it further irritate the condition and may cause it to spread.
- Try wearing only cotton shorts
- Do not share any personal items or belongings as it may spread the infection as it is highly contagious.
- Do not share your clothes with anyone especially towels as it is the most common way this infection spreads.
- Refrain from eating foods with a high carbohydrate and sugar content. Consume more fruits and vegetables.
- Shower at least two times a day in order to maintain proper hygiene.
- Sleep naked at night, if not avoid wearing any underwear while sleeping.
Over the counter drugs
This skin problem is easily treatable. Various over the counter( OTC) drugs, lotions, antifungal, antiseptic creams are available and can be purchased from any pharmacy. These OTC should be used for 2-3 weeks regularly twice (preferably once in the morning and once in the evening). Antifungal creams – consisting of Miconazole, Econazole, Ciclopirox can be used. Antifungal Tablets – In cases wherein this issue gets too serious there are antifungal tablets available for treatment. ( Make sure you consult a physician before consumption of these tablets.) Below are few names of antifungal tablets:
- Sporanox or Onmel (itraconazole)
- Terbinex (terbinafine) or Lamisil
- Fluconazole (diflucan)
Myths & Facts
1) Myth: This skin problem only affects men. Fact: This isn’t only confined to men but may occur in women in also.
|Does it affect women?||It mostly is a condition that affects men but women are also prone to it as well. The fungus that causes this infection thrives mostly in warm, moist and unhygienic regions. Regardless, it is necessary to keep your groin region clean and dry.|
|While on medication is it ok to share your personal belongings?||This kind of rash is highly contagious in nature and therefore you must not share your personal belongings unless it is fully treated.|
|For how long should I use antifungal creams?||Apply it regularly for at least 3-4 weeks. If your infection is severe then use it until it completely heals (preferably 6 weeks).|
|Do I have to be athlete in order to get this.||Tinea cruris is named as jock itch because is most prevalent in athletes as they are prone to prolonged sweating. However, anyone one can get this. A sedentary lifestyle and unhygienic practices are a few things that promote fungal growth thus causing this skin disease.|
You might find this article interesting Low Iron Symptoms, Causes Of Iron Deficiency