Applying a pair of faux lashes can get a bit messy if you are running late. Mascara may be a quick fix but let us all admit it that it tends to get messy at times and our eyelashes end up looking spidery at the end of the day. I am sure all of us have come across such not-so-great situations and all we want is naturally long and voluminous eyelashes. Let me share my secret home remedies with you that will help you get long and lustrous eyelashes over time. To be honest with you, I would like to clarify that you will not get overnight results, besides that you need to be very consistent with these home remedies to notice a visible change in a month or so.
Besides the home remedies, it is very important for all of us to acknowledge the reasons that lead to thinning and falling of eyelashes over time. Some reasons may be medical and be out of your hand, but otherwise, you must put in efforts to change some old habits and improve your hygiene to get the best results. Read this article till the end to find a suitable home remedy for yourself, if you have oily skin, then stay away from using excessive oil even on your eyelashes. Remember to clean the applicators once in a while to prevent your delicate eyelashes from getting infected.
1. Remove Eye Makeup at the End of the Day
- Makeup clogs the skin around the eyes which is very thin already.
- And mascara is very heavy for the lashes on the lashes.
- And removing it at night gives a rest to your lashes.
- The same rule applies here to your eyelashes as your skin as they are both equally delicate.
- Also, be very gentle when you are removing your eye makeup.
- If you are rough with your lashes, they can become sparse and may not grow back as healthy as they are right now.
- Your eyelashes take longer to grow back than your hair and you don’t want to damage what you currently have.
- So remember to be gentle with yourself and show some extra love while dealing with your eyelashes in to get the best results.
2. Olive Oil
- Apply olive oil to your lashes.
- This will help them grow longer and stronger.
- This is one of the best home remedies to get long eyelashes.
- To get the best results, apply olive oil at night before hitting the bed.
- For a smoother application, use an old mascara wand or spoolie.
- Dip the tip of your mascara wand in olive oil and gently wiggle it outwards and you are good to go.
3. A Mix of Olive and Castor Oil
- Mix olive oil and castor oil together.
- Now apply the resultant oil on your lashes.
- This will promote eyelash growth.
- Make sure that the concoction does not get inside your eyelids.
- Apply it every night before going to bed to get the best results.
- Use a q-tip for application, you can also dip the tip of your mascara wand in the concoction and use it on your eyelashes.
4. Petroleum Jelly
- Pure petroleum jelly (Vaseline) if applied to your lashes regularly at night helps your lashes grow faster and makes them thicker and stronger.
- You need to make sure that the petroleum jelly that you are using is free from sulfates, parabens and other harmful chemicals to get the best result.
- Be careful and make sure that you don’t apply too much of this product, just use a dollop of this product with the help of a mascara wand or spoolie to apply it properly.
- Make sure that you sleep straight on your back after using petroleum jelly on your eyelashes to avoid any mess.
5. Green Tea
- Add Green tea leaves to warm water and then apply it to your eyelashes.
- This promotes healthy lash growth and makes them longer, thicker and stronger.
- Besides that, green tea is loaded with antioxidants and helps to keep the early signs of aging at bay.
- Use a cotton ball to apply it on your eyelashes as it has a liquidy texture, repeat the process twice or thrice to make sure that the product gets transferred on your eyelashes.
- Wash it off in the next morning with plain water to get the best results.
6. Lemon peels soaked in olive or castor oil
- Soak some lemon peels for a few days in olive oil or castor oil.
- Apply this to your lashes for growth.
- However, we would strongly recommend a patch test as some people are allergic to lemons.
- While rubbing it on your eyelashes, make sure that you do not accidentally end up squeezing it inside your eyes.
- In case of such a situation, rinse off with tap water immediately.
- If the problem persists, immediately get in touch with a medical practitioner.
7. Trim Your Eyelashes once in a while
- This really helps.
- You can trim your lashes once every two to three months.
- Just trim a small part (1/4th).
- Trimming your lashes will stimulate the follicle of your eyelashes and makes them grow faster.
- If you want to steer clear of cosmetics and other artificial ingredients and also do not trust home remedies then this is the go-to solution for you.
- I am sure you are aware of the fact that you literally become what you eat.
- Along with home remedies for long lashes, you must have a balanced diet.
- A few foods that are great to boost the health of your eyes and eyelashes are apples, guavas, most fruits, green vegetables, eggs, meat, fish, and other sources of proteins.
- A good diet is a secret to good health, hence you must consume everything in moderation to stay healthy and beautiful.
Apart from following these home remedies, there are some precautions that you must take into consideration if you want your lashes to stay in good health.
A word of caution for all the lovely ladies out there:
- Use an eyelid shampoo to gently wear off the excess product build-up from your eyelashes. Well, this may sound a little strange, and I am sure most of you must not have heard about and eyelid shampoo, but the product exists and it gently cleanses your eyelashes. If it is not available at your place then you can just use your regular face wash to suit the same purpose. No matter what product you use, your eyelashes must get droopy or else it will lead to an excessive fall-off in no time.
- Always conduct a patch test before trying on any make-up. Especially if you have sensitive skin, then this thumb rule applies to all the products that you purchase in the long run. Even if the product is meant for your eyelashes and not for direct application on your skin, you need to bear in mind that your eyes are also very delicate and you need to be very careful and cautious while applying anything on your eyes or eyelashes for that matter.
- Use good-quality make-up, and do not apply make-up every day. Apply makeup once in a while stepping out of home or just keep it simple. Although a little on the pricier side, try to lay your hands on all the products that are cruelty-free, paraben and sulfate-free. Believe me, once you switch to these products, you will never, ever go back to your old products ever again, I swear. If you cannot give up the temptation of applying makeup and yet want naturally healthy and long eyelashes then make it a point to use cruelty-free products only.
- A lot of us have got eyelash extensions done in the past and instantly regretted the decision, right? It leads to fall-off, let’s admit it, ladies, it may look beautiful for a while and you may not touch any of your eye make-up for a while but eventually, you will notice that your natural eyelashes also come off. So it is better to refrain from such treatments that do more damage in the long-run.
- Do you like to finish your eye-makeup by topping your eyelashes with a coat of mascara? More often than not, if you are skipping the faux lashes, you tend to pick up your eyelash curling iron and curl up your eyelashes. It definitely rolls up your eyelashes a little more and gives a lifted look but it also breaks the eyelashes from its roots, it grows back after a certain point of time, but it is better to use it only when required.
No matter what you do, your eyelashes will thin out after a certain point in time, you will be surprised to know about the reasons. Let me elaborate them for your better understanding. Make sure you read between the lines carefully and then opt for a solution that suits your lifestyle.
Why do your eyelashes thin out and fall off suddenly, busting the myths:
- Hormones play an active role in determining our mood to our appearance and whatnot. A sudden hormonal change leads to a lot of changes in your body and hair fall happens to be one of them. When you notice a lot of hair fall in your comb, it is not just the hair from your head that is falling off, your eyelashes also shed to some extent but it is not easily visible to the naked eye until and unless you observe very closely.
- Are you upset or stressed out because of some reason? If it is so, then find a solution to your problem as soon as possible. Excessive stress affects your mind and body in the long run and not in a good manner. Excessive stress often triggers a lot of hormones and as I have mentioned earlier, the hormonal imbalance leads to hair fall and vice versa.
- Practice good hygiene, it will help you in ways more than one in the long run. Poor hygiene causes dust and allergins to affect your delicate eyelashes, ultimately leading them to fall off. As I have mentioned earlier, use an eyelash shampoo or your regular face wash to get the best results.
- If you want clear skin, then you must use a gentle, exfoliating scrub once in a while but that does not mean that you will scrub abrasively, that will only make matters worse for you. If you pull and tug your eyebrows while using your scrub then it will fall off very soon rendering your eyelids bald. If you do not want to come across an absurd situation like this, then refrain from using harsh, granulated scrubs.
- If you are suffering from certain health concerns like hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism, or skin conditions like eczema or psoriosis then talk to your doctor about this problem and take your decisions accordingly. Certain medications and chemotherapy drugs also lead to hair loss in the long-run and you may fall prey to your circumstances at times.
- Sometimes if you are allergic to a certain make-up it may not develop zits, bumps or scratch immediately. Rather it will lead to wear and tear of your natural eyelashes. Refrain from using such products as it will damage your natural eyelashes in the long-run.
You might find this article interesting Olive Oil For Hair