We generally think a good shampoo and conditioner are the only things that we need for healthy hair but that’s not true. Your comb also plays a major role here.
Most of us use plastic combs for hair but experts suggest that a wide-toothed wooden comb is usually much better than plastic comb if you want a healthy hair. Wooden combs have got certain salient features in them like
1. They are anti-static.
2. They are made of the best Indian Rosewood.
3. They are completely non-toxic in their nature.
Due to its property wooden comb helps one’s hair and scalp in multiple ways. Some benefits of wooden combs are listed below
1. It speed ups the circulation of the blood of the hair follicles present on the scalp which helps in rejuvenation of the scalp.
2. These combs help in preventing the tangling of the hair to a great extent.
3. These also help in preventing split ends of the hair up to an extent.
4. It is a great tool to comb the hard curly hair which is otherwise very difficult to deal with.
5. It does not pull the hair too much so there are fewer breakages and hair fall.
6. It also does not scratch the scalp too harshly.
7. It makes your hair more bouncy and shiny.
8. As you comb, wooden combs naturally massage the scalp and help to get rid of dandruff.
9. Boosts blood circulation in your scalp.
10. It is a great option to go for if you feel tired or fatigued at the end of the day. Gently comb through your hair at the end of the day and you will be surprised how relaxed it makes you feel. Wooden combs naturally massage the scalp and soothe the nerve endings to provide instant relief from fatigue.
11. If you have an oily scalp, then this is your holy grail. Wooden combs help to distribute sebum evenly on your scalp, making it less greasy with regular use.
12. You must buy a wooden com if you use hair styling products like a blow drier, hair straighteners or curlers often. These products can be used in tandem with a wooden comb because wood is a poor conductor of heat. This will prevent your comb from getting heated up fast and you can easily hold your comb firmly while using the hair-styling tools.
13. It is not only economical but also eco-friendly in nature. If you discard using a wooden comb, it will be easily disposed of without harming the environment.
14. Wooden combs are usually made up of Indian rosewood or natural bark of neem. If you are allergic to foreign particles then switch to natural, wooden combs as these are naturally anti-biotic in nature and helps to prevent scalp infections to a great extent.
15. In order to use wooden combs and reap maximum benefits, you need to keep it clean. Refrain from using water, detergent or any harsh chemicals to clean wooden combs. Use a dollop of petroleum jelly to clean it and keep it under direct sunlight for a while and wait for it to dry out completely.
16. These wooden combs are highly durable and hardy too. These types of combs are much less likely to break and stay in good shape for much longer than the plastic ones. Plastic one regularly loses their teeth etc. Thus, you won’t have to keep buying new combs as one wooden one will last you much longer than its plastic counterpart.
17. Wooden combs work great on any and all types of hair. You do not need to look for a specific one for your specific typed of hair, just go out and get one.
18. Wooden combs will actually improve your overall health, believe it or not. The massage from the wooden combs is very soothing and relaxing and it also promotes the circulation of blood to the head. All this improves the mood and mental peace significantly. Mental stress often manifests itself as diseases and has been linked conclusively with inflammations in the body thus if you want to stay healthy you also need to take care of your self, mentally, which, fortunately, wooden combs do help in.
Why Plastic combs are bad for hair care?
Now, plastic does harm the environment a lot just by being there for thousands of years and basically clogging up our ecosystem. But as far as you hair care is concerned, a plastic comb will also fare worse than a wooden counterpart. The reason behind that is:
- Plastic combs generate a lot of static when combing the hair which could result in hair damage and cause hair to frizz out.
- Consequently, a plastic comb also makes it a hassle to comb smoothly as the chances and occurrences of snagging and pulling of hair. This results in undue breakage and damage to hair which is totally avoidable if you just invest in the right tool.
- Plastic combs have jagged edges and imperfections and pointed ends all over the place which not only damage the hair but can easily lead to issues like split ends rather than helping to manage your hair which is why you must be combing.
How to clean your Wooden comb?
- Rub flaxseed or linseed oil to treat the wood well. Just use a few drops and let them soak in after spreading. Wipe it off after a while.
- Use petroleum jelly to clean the teeth and make them softer. Wipe it off after a while using a dry cloth or towel or such.
- You can utilize sandpaper to clean between the teeth of the comb effectively and efficiently.
Tips and Tricks
Follow the upcoming tips and tricks closely, to get some extra help and knowledge regarding the usage of wooden combs.
- Do not wash your wooden comb as most wood is susceptible to water damage.
- Do not pre-soak your wooden comb as that will make it lose its strength and texture.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals like dish soaps, detergents or excessive and elongated heat on your wooden combs as this will lower their life span a lot and damage them.
You might find this article interesting How To Curl Your Hair Without A Curling Iron?