Oil pulling is a natural remedy to clean and detoxify teeth and gums. The basic idea behind this remedy is to put some organic vegetable oil (generally organic coconut oil ) in the mouth for a short time each day. It will improve your oral health as oil is able to cut through plaque and remove toxins without disturbing the teeth or gums.
The most important advantage of this remedy is that it has no side effects. Experts say you can do oil pulling before any meal but the best time to do this exercise is before breakfast
How to do oil pulling
1. Put 1-2 teaspoons of organic coconut oil into the mouth. You can also pour a few drops of Brushing Blend (naturally antibacterial) into the mix.
2. Swish for 20 minutes. Apparently, the timing is key, according to Dr. Bruce Fife, author of Oil Pulling Therapy, as this is long enough to break through plaque and bacteria but not long enough that the body starts re-absorbing the toxins and bacteria. The oil will get thicker and milky as it mixed with saliva during this time and it should be creamy-white when spit out.
3. Spit oil into the trash can. Do not swallow the oil as it is hopefully full of bacteria, toxins, and pus that are now not in the mouth!
4. Rinse well with warm water to get any remaining oil out of my mouth.
5. Brush well
Benefits of oil pulling
- Reduces Bad Breath
- Prevents Diseases of the Gums & Mouth
- Whitens Teeth
- Improves Skin Conditions
- Alleviates Headaches & Migraines
- Full-Body Detox
- Improves Hormone Imbalances
Oil pulling traces its roots to ancient Indian Ayurveda and it has been practiced over the ages. I am sure when you visit your general physician you are asked to open your mouth for a while, and your doctor examines your tongue thoroughly. Have you ever wondered what is the rationale behind it? The logic is very simple, your tongue is the reflection of your internal health. It is connected with your intestines. If you have a slow metabolism, then your body is unable to eliminate toxins on its own and as a result of it toxins are transferred through your bloodstream and it is the root cause behind a lot of diseases. If you also come across this problem, then try out oil pulling at the comfort of your home. You can either use extra virgin coconut oil white sesame oil or sunflower oil. Take a spoonful of oil early in the morning and rinse your mouth with it. However, it is not a complete replacement for your regular dental care. Practicing oil pulling every day can reduce cavities and prevent tooth staining to a great extent. Do not swallow the oil, spit it out after rinsing your mouth the oil. Kindly keep in mind that this is a completely natural process to eliminate toxins from your body, hence you need to be persistent to get satisfactory results.
Herbal Oil Pulling Recipe
You don’t have to use a simple oil to perform oil pulling too. Here is a recipe for a herb-based solution, using which you can perform oil pulling and supply many benefits to your oral health and hygiene. You are going to need a few different oils and ingredients for this one so without further ado let us learn about this one.
- Black cumin seed oil: 1/3 cup
- Sesame oil: 1/3 cup
- Coconut oil: 1/3 cup
- Dried licorice root: 1/8 cup
- Dried tulsi (holy basil): 1/8 cup
- Neem oil: 8 drops
- Myrrh essential oil: 5 drops
- Tea tree essential oil: 2 drops
- First of all, take a mixing bowl and add coconut oil, sesame oil, dried licorice root, and dried tulsi to it and combine all of them together thoroughly.
- After that, place the oil over low heat and let it stay there for about 4-6 hours so that the herbs get infused in the oils. Stire occasionally and be mindful of the temperature.
- Then, turn off the heat and let the mixture cool back down to room temperature.
- After that, cover the container with a clean cloth and let the mixture sit out in counter for a night.
- Then, strain the mixture using a cheesecloth.
- Lastly, add the leftover ingredients to the solution and then it is ready for usage.
You can use the resultant solution to oil pull every day and improve your oral health significantly. The herbs are really health and infuse a lot of health benefits to the oils to enhance there already present benefits.
Alright, that one was a little complicated and takes a little effort to prepare. But it is all worth it in pursuit of good health be it oral or otherwise. However, there are other methods and recipes you can try your hand on. You can also prepare the following solution to use in oil pulling. This one is much simpler top prepare but still is very healthy and cleansing towards oral health and hygiene. Try it out:
Oil Pulling Mouth Melts
- Sesame oil/ coconut oil: 1/2 cup
- Clove essential oil: 10 drops
- Spearmint essential oil: 15 drops
- First of all, you need the carrier oil to be in liquid form so achieve that first if it is not the case already by warming it up in the microwave for a couple of minutes.
- After that, add in the other essential oils to the carrier and mix them well by stirring.
- Then, transfer the solution to molds which are going to be frozen in the refrigerator for a few hours to solidify them. 1 tsp per mold is a good quantity to aim for.
- After it has frozen completely, store the pieces in a container like a mason jar and keep that refrigerated for future usage.
- To use the product for oil pulling, take a piece in your mouth and let it sit there to melt.
- Once it is in liquid form, swish and gargle with it all around your mouth.
- Lastly, keep performing that step for about 10 to 20 minutes and then spit it out. (Do not spit in your drain as the oils can clog it up and cause some extra issues)
Prepare these melts for convenient and simple usage every morning to improve your oral health significantly over time and avoid a variety of oral diseases and issues.
You might find this article interesting Tan Skin – Causes, Home Remedies, And Precautions