BENEFITS OF ONION JUICE FOR HAIR
Onions, people say have a variety of flavours from sweet to sour, mild to strong, salty to spicy and from flavourful to tear inducing. But one thing that people don’t tell you is that these onions benefit our hair in more ways than you can think of. Onions are a rich source of essential vitamins and minerals which have been used for treating hair loss by people around the globe for ages. It rejuvenates and revitalizes hair from the roots and gives them a new found softness and lustre. Here are a few benefits of onion juice:
- Their antifungal characteristics revive hair follicles and hence provide nourishment to the hair and scalp.
- They are rich in sulphur which boosts blood circulation to the scalp and provide with the necessary nutrients and moisture too.
- Since onions have antibacterial properties, they can be of great help for fighting infections and dandruff. This also prevents hair fall to a great extent.
- Applying onion juice on hair also enhances volume and provides the much needed shine.
- Onions are also a very effective way of getting rid of hair lice
- They also contain antioxidants which prevent hair from greying
TOP 20 HOME REMEDIES TO USE ONION JUICE
Onion juice has a high sulphur content which is responsible for its pungent smell. This is why we should make sure we apply it appropriately with other ingredients so as to minimize the smell and bring out the maximum possible use of all the ingredients.
First we learn how exactly onion juice is made: cut the onion in pieces and blend them in a juicer or grinder. To avoid any onion flakes, make sure you filter the juice as those flakes are hard to remove once they get stuck in your hair.
Given below are a few of the top 20 home remedies using onion juice which are beneficial for the hair and hair loss:
- Onion juice as a hair mask for hair growth
- Onion juice after wash to strengthen roots
- Onion juice with honey hair pack for lustrous hair
- Massage with onion juice and olive oil to remove dandruff
- Yogurt and onion for extra nourishment
- Curry leaves with onion juice: forget grey hair
- Some fun with rum and onion juice for hair growth
- Make a coconut oil based pack for strong hair
- Onions, nettle and vodka for thick hair
- Onions and lemon for dandruff free hair
- Garlic juice will do the trick for you for increase in growth
- Our favourite: almond oil for thicker stronger hair
- Castor oil can help too for reviving hair follicles
- Try onions and beer for dandruff free hair
- Rosemary oil- takes care of the smell!
- Apple cider vinegar and onion juice to get rid off dandruff
- Onion juice and egg hair mask provides nutrition to hair
- Onion juice and henna: restores colour
- Peppermint oil and onion juice for blood circulation
- Add it to your diet to prevent hair loss
Onion juice as a hair mask for hair growth
Using only onion juice leaves a pungent smell on your hair, so we add a few drops of lavender oil to it. Massage your hair with this mixture using your fingertips and let it be for about half an hour. Wash your hair with a mild shampoo to get rid of any remaining odour. Using onion juice for hair massage, will help your hair grow well.
Add onion juice to lukewarm water and use it to rinse your hair after shampooing it. This strengthens hair from the roots and prevents hair fall effectively.
Onion juice with honey hair pack for lustrous hairMix the juice with honey in the ratio 3:1 and apply on the scalp using your fingertips. Wait for 15-20 minutes and wash it off with a mild shampoo to get rid of the smell.
Massage with onion juice and olive oil to remove dandruffThis pack will effectively remove dandruff as both onion juice and olive oil have antibacterial properties. Mix onion juice and olive oil in the ratio 2:1 and apply evenly on your scalp. Let it seep in for about an hour or so according to your hair type and wash off.
Yogurt and onion for extra nourishmentApply a mask using yogurt and onion juice on the scalp and shampoo your hair after 1 hour.Yogurt is beneficial for hair loss and thus adds to the advantages of using onion juice, this mixture of yogurt and onion juice for hair will give your extra nourishment.
Curry leaves are known for their anti greying characteristics and when added to onion juice gives a beautiful shine and lustre to your hair
Some fun with rum and onion juice for hair growth
Rum is a very beneficial tool to fulfil your dream of getting hair back on your head. Add to it some onion slices, soak it overnight, apply on your scalp and see the magic it does to your hair.
Make a coconut oil based pack for strong hairMix onion juice and coconut oil in the ratio 1:2 and massage your scalp with it. Leave it for about an hour or so and wash your hair with a mild shampoo to eliminate the smell
Onions, nettle and vodka for thick hair
This might not look like the best remedy as it has the pungent smell of onions and the unbearable irritation of the medicinal nettle leaves but trust me it’s for the greater good. Just chop one onion, take dried nettle leaves and soak both of them in a cup of vodka for 2-3 days. Filter the contents and apply the liquid on your scalp before washing your hair.
Onions and lemon for dandruff free hair
A great source of vitamin C and antioxidants, mixing equal amounts of lemon juice and onion juice not only help with hair fall but also make dandruff go away with regular use. Just apply the mixture on your scalp, wait for 30-40 minutes and wash your hair
Garlic juice will do the trick for you for increase in growth
Garlic is known to increase blood circulation and hence increase growth of hair. Apply garlic paste mixed with onion juice on your scalp and leave it for about half an hour. Shampoo your hair with a mild shampoo later.
Our favourite: almond oil for thicker stronger hair
We have been using almond oil for hair growth for long as it has all the minerals required for perfect strong hair. Adding onion juice to it brings out that strength and shine to your hair.
Castor oil can help too for reviving hair follicles
Castor oil balances the pH level of the scalp and brings back the damaged hair follicles to life. Just mix a little castor oil with onion juice and massage using fingertips. Leave it for an hour and rinse with a mild shampoo
Try onions and beer for dandruff free hair
Vitamins present in beer are known to replenish hair with all the lost nutrients and aid in hair growth. It also removes dandruff effectively. Grind an onion and mix it with beer to make a paste. Apply evenly on the scalp and leave until dry. Wash off with a mild shampoo
Rosemary oil- takes care of the smell!
If you cannot tolerate the pungent smell of onions, rosemary oil is the solution for you. This essential oil not only removes the smell but also aids in hair growth. Add a few drops of oil in onion juice and apply on your scalp. Wait for an hour and rinse with a mild shampoo.
Apple cider vinegar and onion juice to get rid off dandruff
Apple cider vinegar is acidic and maintains the pH level of the scalp. Vinegar, along with onion juice works wonders in reducing hair fall. Just add a few drops of apple cider vinegar in onion juice and apply on the scalp. Leave for half an hour and wash off.
Onion juice and egg hair mask provides nutrition to hair
Eggs are rich in vitamin A, D and B12 which help in hair growth and adding egg to onion juice also masks its smell quite well. Simply add one egg and 1 tablespoon of onion juice and whip them. Apply on your head and leave it for half an hour before rinsing to get the required shine and strength for your hair
Onion juice and henna: restores colour
Mix onion juice and henna in the ratio 1:5, add optional ingredients like olive oil or yogurt and apply the paste on your hair. Leave it for about an hour and wash it off with a mild shampoo later.
Peppermint oil and onion juice for blood circulation
Peppermint has properties which increase blood circulation, thus preventing hair loss to a great extent. Just add a few drops of peppermint oil to onion juice and apply on the scalp before washing your hair.
Add it to your diet to prevent hair loss
If applying onion juice on your head sounds like a bad idea, you can always go for taking onion juice with your diet and it will help in preventing hair loss to a great extent.
REASONS FOR HAIR THINNING AND HAIR LOSS
You might have heard that a woman loses 100 strands a day on an average. But losing out on more than 100 strands is a sign of danger. We need to find the ‘root’ cause of this problem, literally. Here are a few reasons you might be losing on your precious strands day by day:
- Inefficient diet: You won’t be able to avoid hair loss if you keep avoiding healthy foods which give you the necessary vitamins and minerals for nourishment of hair. Just like your body needs certain nutrients to stay fit and strong, your hair also needs them to be healthy and nourished.
- Medical condition: there are several medical conditions which can lead to hair loss the most prominent being menstruation, menopause or pregnancy. Other causes include vitamin deficiencies, anaemia, skin disorders, diabetes, thyroid etc.
- Overuse of hair styling products and accessories: hair styling products generally subject hair to heat and pressure which makes them weak
- Medication: You might even suffer from hair fall due to allergic reactions from certain medicines you are taking for some other health problem. Immediately consult your doctor for the same. Stress is also a major factor which leads to hair thinning and hair loss
PRECAUTIONS TO TAKE TO AVOID HAIR THINNING AND HAIR LOSS
Now that we know the causes of hair thinning and hair loss, we can easily take the necessary precautions to avoid it. Also, taking simple precautions will keep you away from the hassles of trying and testing home remedies for falling hair.
Here are some of the easiest and important precautions to take to avoid hair loss:
- Balanced diet is the key
Your diet should contain optimum level of calories, vitamins and minerals. Omega- 3 fatty acids, vitamin B12, C, A all are essential for the growth of hair. Also, since our hair strands are made of keratin, a protein, our diet should be rich in protein too. Do include yogurt, onions, ginger, carrots and eggs in your daily diet. Women generally lack iron in their bodies causing hormonal changes which further contribute to hair fall. So make add iron rich food in your diet.
- Say no to excessive hair styling
We are well aware that you like to style your tresses every now and then to give the perfect look to your hair. But for your hair to look perfect you need your hair to be there on your head too. Use hair styling products in a controlled manner so as to keep them from falling and to maintain their strength.
- Don’t change your mind and shampoo frequently
Your hair gets adapted to a particular shampoo or related products and if you keep changing it your hair might get weak or even start falling off. If a certain shampoo doesn’t suit you, feel free to change to a better one but keep in mind the fact that you do not repeat this more often
- Take a chill pill
Avoid taking too much stress as it causes hair thinning and hair loss. Even if you feel stressed out, massage your scalp for about 10-15 minutes and give some rest to your body and mind
- Visit your doctor regularly
Hair loss is triggered by any kind of hormonal imbalance in your body. Get all your hormone levels tested at least once in 6 month or a year to ensure there is balance of hormones and to eliminate one possibility of causes of hair fall.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Ques. Can pregnant or breastfeeding women use onion juice?
Ans: Since onion has a very repelling smell, you might want to avoid its use during pregnancy or consult your doctor for the same before using.
Ques. Can a diabetic person consume onion juice or use it for hair?
Ans: Onions are known to reduce blood sugar levels so you might have to monitor it while using onions or onion juice for hair
Ques. I have been warned not to use onions before or after surgery. Is it true?
Ans: yes. Avoid use of onions at that time as it slows down the clotting of blood which may cause problems before or after surgery.
Ques. Can I use red onion as a substitute for white onion for hair loss?
Ans: red onions have the same properties as white onions in terms of hair growth but they give a slight copper shade to the hair which might be unfavourable for some.
Ques. how often can I use onion juice on my hair?
Ans: onion juice if used excessively can cause irritation on the scalp and therefore it should be used in limit. It should be used maximum twice or sometimes thrice a week.
Reference : Wikipedia page on Red Onions