Achieving long, luscious hair is a desire shared by many women. The Yao tribe girls, residing in a Chinese village often referred to as the land of Rapunzel, are living this dream. Their secret to maintaining beautiful and resilient hair lies in the use of rice water. These women have been incorporating fermented rice water into their hair care routine, and not only does it work wonders for hair growth, but it also imparts a radiant shine. Instead of investing in costly products, consider giving this remedy a try. The simplicity of making rice water adds to its appeal, and its widespread use extends to addressing various hair-related issues. Let’s explore how to prepare rice water and its associated benefits.
- Rice (any variety) – 150 g
- Water – 6 cups
- Spray bottle
Methods for Making Rice Water (3 options):
- Soaking Method:
- Gently wash 150g of rice to remove impurities.
- Place the rice in a bowl with 6 cups of water.
- Soak the rice for about an hour.
- Stir the soaked rice gently and strain the rice water.
- Transfer the rice water into a bottle and refrigerate.
- Fermentation Method:
- Thoroughly wash a cup of rice.
- Combine the rice with 6 cups of water in a bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a thin cotton cloth and let it soak for two days.
- After two days, stir the rice gently and strain the rice water.
- Store the rice water in a glass bottle and refrigerate.
- Boiling Method:
- Wash 150g of rice.
- Boil 6 cups of water and add the rice.
- Simmer for 5-8 minutes, then turn off the flame.
- Strain the starchy rice water and let it cool for an hour.
- Pour the rice water into a bottle and store it in the refrigerator.
The refrigerated rice water, prepared using any of the methods, can be used for a week.
How to Apply Rice Water for Hair:
- Wash and condition your hair with shampoo.
- Spray the rice water onto your hair or pour it directly if a spray bottle is unavailable.
- Allow it to sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with water.
- Repeat this process twice a week.