Let us first get to know the importance of pubic hair. Pubic hair exists to protect the vagina from abrasions and friction. It is also intended to keep the vagina safe and clean. It is functional in preventing any bacterial infections and irritation during sex. Further, it is a shield against STD. Now let’s get down to the ways of managing pubic hair.
Pubic hair could be managed in four ways and each has its own method of grooming. You can choose to:
- Keep or grow the pubic hair.
- Trim it.
- Shave it.
- Wax it. Now let us have a look at each method in a detailed manner:
When you choose to grow the hair, it doesn’t require any special grooming like oil and shampoo treatment or any spas. Just clean the hair with soap and water daily. Since the vagina takes care of itself and maintains its own pH, any other treatment is not essential. There are certain do’s and don’ts when you grow the hair down there, however.
- Use warm water to clean the area. Do not use shampoos or even certain soaps that are adverse to the pH of the vaginal area. They can cause dryness, irritation, and itching when used.
- Avoid using wipes that come with fragrance, talcum powders and deodorants in that area.
- Clean with water and pat dry the pubic area after using the toilet. You can use wet but non-fragrant tissues.
- You can use any pH balanced washes to keep the area clean but just using clean water would be cheap and best.
- Always wear cotton undergarments to prevent sweating during hot weather. Stay away from nylon or synthetic ones.
I would say trimming is the best way of managing the pubic hair. But care should be taken while doing that.
- Use small sized trimming scissors. Clean the blades with alcohol.
- Using a magnifier or holding a small mirror in front of the pubic area will give you a clearer view of the region so that you can trim the hair down properly.
- A small and fine toothed comb can be used to keep the hair in place as you trim.
- Suppose you happen to cut the area apply just coconut oil and let the area breathe for a while before you resume.
- After trimming clean the blades of the scissors with water to get rid off hairs and wipe it dry.
- Then apply a little bit of coconut oil to keep it disinfected.
If you prefer to shave the area which is a less cumbersome option than waxing. Follow these steps to shave the area perfectly.
- First, trim the hair if its long.
- Moisten the area so that the hair gets soft or take a shower to open up the pores.
- Lather the area well with a shaving cream; don’t shave dry as it may cause cuts and injuries.
- Use a razor that is specifically designed to shave the pubic area.
- After shaving apply aloe vera gel that is natural and harmless. Never use moisturizer or any fragrant lotion as it may imbalance the pH of the area.
- If you happen to cut or injure then apply hydrogen peroxide to clean the area and apply coconut oil to heal the wound.
Waxing is a bit painful option. But if you prefer waxing then be extremely careful with hot waxes as you are prone to burn the skin and the pain may be excruciating. Allow the hair to measure at least 1 cm in length. So that the wax can hold onto the hair properly. Waxing can be done by a professional or you can do it at home with assistance. When using DIY waxing kit, follow the instructions religiously. While using hot wax apply a little bit of it in your wrists before applying it to the pubic area to check the temperature. After waxing wear cotton undergarments to let the area breathe.
Proper hygiene is very essential when it comes to the genital parts of the human body. When ignored it may cost health and money severely.