There are some people who are naturally blessed with clear skin but then are some of us who aren’t that fortunate. Many of us are cursed with acne, pimples, blemishes and what not! And most of these skin problems leave a scar behind that can either be mild or severe. When such infections reach the skin’s dermis layer, they destroy the skin tissue, which in turn leads to a scar. These scars can be very stubborn and often take a quite long time to completely fade away. Though there are a lot of medical treatments for the removal of these acne scars, they can also be very expensive. Not everyone has the budget to afford it. However, there are many natural remedies that are cheap and most importantly, effective.
Though most home remedies take time to lighten the scars, you will be able to observe the difference in a few weeks. Lemon, aloe vera, coconut oil and honey are some of the most used ingredients of home remedies for lightening of acne scars. In this article, we will be focusing on using lemon to treat acne scars.
Is lemon good for treating acne scars?
- Lemons have Vitamin C which activates collagen which keeps skin firm and smooth.
- Vitamin C clears impurities and advocates the growth of new skin cells.
- Lemon is a natural bleaching agent and hence, lightens acne and other dark marks.
- Citric acid present in lemon juice helps in the exfoliation of surplus oil and dead skin cells.
- Lemon acts as a natural astringent and tightens the skin to keep it healthy and shiny.
- Lemon juice has antibacterial properties which help in the killing of bacteria that causes the acne breakout.
How to use lemon for acne scars?
Lemon juice can be used alone or with other natural ingredients for the reducing of acne scars. You can choose any of the below-given home remedies regularly to lighten your acne scars. Keep in mind that lemon juice tends to dry out the skin, so make sure to use a moisturizer right after.
Here are some of the best lemon-based home remedy for reducing the appearance of acne scars:
- Juice some fresh lemons.
- Using a cotton ball, apply the juice to your acne scars.
- Leave it on for 5-10 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Do this daily to get rid of your scars.
Note: If you experience extreme itching or redness, stop using the lemon juice. Also, if you have sensitive skin, make sure to dilute the lemon juice with some water.
2. Lemon juice and yoghurt
- Mix some lemon juice and yoghurt.
- After mixing it well, take a cotton ball and use it to apply this mixture on your face, especially areas with your acne scars.
- Let your skin absorb it for about 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water and pat dry.
- Repeat this process day to day to get the desired results of removing the scars.
As stated above, the lemon juice will help to lighten your skin, while the yoghurt will soothe your skin in case of any inflammation.
3. Honey and lemon mask
- Mix two teaspoons of raw honey with one teaspoon of fresh lemon juice.
- Use your fingertips to apply this face mask on your acne scars. Gently massage.
- Leave it on until it dries and then, rinse with water.
- Repeat this process two times a day.
Honey has moisturizing properties which help in keeping your skin hydrated.
4. Lemon juice and egg whites
- Take equal quantities of lemon juice and egg whites.
- Whisk the mixture properly to ensure that the two ingredients blend well.
- Apply this mixture to your face, concentrating on the affecting areas. Leave it on overnight.
- Rinse it off the next morning with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this regularly to clear your acne scars.
5. Lemon juice, sugar and sea salt
- Combine 1 teaspoon of warm water with 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon each of sea salt and sugar.
- Use your fingertips to massage this mixture on your acne scars and other affected areas. Rub lightly in circular motions.
- After 10-15 minutes, rinse with cold water and gently pat dry.
- Repeat this treatment 3 times in a week to get the desired result.
Sea salt and sugar have properties which help in the removal of dead skin cells and other impurities, encouraging the growth of healthy skin.
6. Lemon juice, cucumber juice and rose water
- Mix equal quantities of lemon juice, cucumber juice and rose water.
- Apply this natural solution on your face; concentrate more on the acne-affected areas.
- Leave it on for about 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse the solution off with cool water and pat dry.
- Repeat this daily to lighten your acne scars and get radiant, fresh skin.
Cucumber juice soothes your skin whereas rose water protects your skin from getting it too dry and also gives your skin a glow.
7. Lemon juice, honey and aloe vera
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice with 1 teaspoon of raw honey and 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel.
- Use your fingertips to apply this mixture to washed skin. Massage gently in circular motions.
- Leave it on for at least 15 minutes or until it dries.
- Rinse it off with cold water and lightly, pat dry.
- Repeat this process 2 times a week.
Aloe vera has amino acids which help to nourish your skin, soothe any irritation and also hydrates the skin.
Precautions to be taken before using lemon juice for acne scars
- Do not apply lemon juice straight away on the affected acne scars if you are a first-timer. Initially, dilute it right and do a skin before directly applying to your scars.
- Always take extra care to keep away lemon juice from around your eyes as your eyes will burn otherwise. If anything as such happens, immediately rinse your eyes.
- Lemon juice can make your skin oversensitive to direct sunlight. In order to avoid sunburn, prevent from going out in the sunlight with any of these mixtures on your face.
- If you have any allergic reaction from the lemon juice which causes redness or inflammation then instantly wash it with cold water.
- Excess use of lemon juice can disrupt your skin’s pH balance as it helps in the removal of natural oils from your skin.
- Never apply lemon juice to open cuts or bruises.
- The above mixtures should be used regularly for at least 8 weeks to yield detectable results.