All of us know about Listerine mouth wash. These days it is used by most of us as mouth wash but when it was invented in 1879 by a doctor in Missouri, one of is purpose was to fight with dandruff. One of the most common causes of dandruff is fungus and Listerine can fight with them.
What you need
Mix 2 parts water with 1 part Listerine. After you shampoo, spray or pour the solution onto your scalp, massage in well, and let sit for 30 minutes before rinsing with water.
These home remedies may not be suitable for everyone, so we strongly recommend all our readers to conduct a patch test before proceeding forward with any of these home remedies with Listerine mouthwash.
Listerine mouthwash-baby oil concoction to get rid of dandruff
- Listerine mouthwash: 2 tablespoons
- Baby oil with a pH of 5.5: 2 tablespoons
- Cotton balls: 5-6
- Mix equal proportions of baby oil and a Listerine mouthwash in a clean container.
- Keep it aside for a while to set.
- Wash your hair with a mild paraben and sulfate free shampoo, skip using a hair conditioner or hair serum.
- Air-dry your hair.
- Dip a cotton ball in the concoction.
- Apply it all over your scalp.
- Wait for about a minute.
- Gently massage your scalp.
- After that, wash your hair with an oxygen boost shampoo.
- Follow up with a nourishing hair conditioner and a regular hair serum.
- Try this home remedy twice or thrice a week to get the best results.
Listerine mouthwash-vinegar solution to treat scalp inflammation
- Apple cider vinegar: half a cup
- Purified water: 2 cups
- Listerine mouthwash: 10 ml
- Spray can: 1
- Take at least 2 cups of water and 5 ml of Listerine mouthwash and quarter cup apple cider vinegar in a container.
- Mix it well, and keep aside.
- Take another container and mix the remaining halves of apple cider vinegar and listerine mouthwash, mix it well and set it aside for a while.
- Transfer the contents in an empty spray can.
- Spritz this solution all over your scalp.
- Massage it for some time.
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
- After that, rinse your scalp with apple cider vinegar and listerine mouthwash solution before applying conditioner.
- Use a hair serum afterwards.
- Use this scalp massage solution and hair rinse once in a week for a month to see the changes coming.
Listerine mouthwash-witch hazel hair rinse to treat an itchy scalp
- Listerine mouthwash: 9-10 tablespoons
- Witch hazel water: 1 cup
- Purified water: 1 cup
- Mix all the ingredients in the specified proportions.
- Keep it aside for a while.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Use the hair rinse right after using shampoo.
- Follow up with a hair conditioner and a hair serum.
- Blow dry your hair.
- Use this hair rinse once in a week to get the best results.
Plain Listerine for Dandruff
- Listerine: 1 tbsp
- First of all, take a clean cotton ball or pad and soak it in some Listerine.
- After that, use the cotton to apply the Listerine all over your scalp by dabbing gently.
- Then, let the Listerine sit in your scalp for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Lastly, rinse it off using a mild shampoo and conditioner and you are done!
- Follow this technique 2 to 3 times every week to get rid of your dandruff quickly.
This is a straightforward and simple method which will take the least amount of effort and ingredients from you. But if you follow it diligently it will work and help you get rid of dandruff.
How Does Listerine Help Get Rid of Dandruff
Now, we are versed in some methods, techniques, and remedies in which we can utilize Listerine to help treat our scalp issues and dandruff. So now we are going to look at the specific properties of Listerine which make it so effective in getting rid of dandruff from your scalp for good.
- Obviously, Listerine helps eradicate unwanted microbes and also possess potent anti-fungal properties as a consequence. Thus, it has a direct line of attack to one of the most common reasons behind the dandruff of the masses.
- Listerine contains multiple ingredients like eucalyptol, thymol, methyl salicylate, and menthol, all of which possess strong anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antifungal properties. Thus, Listerine also inherits these qualities and consequently is highly effective in getting rid of dandruff too.
- It helps calm down the scalp due to its potent cooling and soothing characteristics. Thus, it will suppress any irritation in the scalp and will provide you with a relaxed state.
Tips and Tricks
In this section, we are going to look at a bunch of tips which are going to help you to utilize the Listerine more effectively and more efficiently in getting rid of dandruff. So, without further ado, let us get into it.
- Listerine can irritate your skin if it gets into the skin through a cut or something. Its potency and strong nature can result in some irritation and stinging so make sure that your scalp is free from any such bruises or cuts or anything like that.
- The components and qualities of Listerine make it so that it is quite drying towards the hair. Thus, its application onto the hair is not recommended. You should do your best to restrict its access to only your scalp especially if your hair and scalp are already suffering from dryness and brittleness. To avoid this while applying Listerine to the scalp, you can cover the base of your hair strands with some moisturizer.
- Since Listerine is so strong and aggressive, it is in your best interest to perform a patch test first of all before proceeding with any remedies. To do a patch test, just apply a tiny amount of it on your wrist and observe the effects it has on your skin.
That is about it for this post, Listerine was actually first designed and marketed as a remedy for scalp issues so all this does make sense.
You might find this article interesting How To Get Rid Of Cold Sores – Remedies, Causes, Precautions
You might find this article interesting Natural Remedies for canker sore relief