What is Vizylac?
Vizylac is the name of a brand of medicine manufactured by Unichem Laboratories Ltd .It is available as oral capsules in the packaging of 10 capsules per strip.It has vitamin B substance and complex factors producing lactic acid spores. Folic acid is also produced by them, which is a probiotic (non-digestible fiber compounds, which help in the colonization of the large bowel).
- What are the Generic Name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take If I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to Children and Infants ?
- Is it available as over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What are the Generic Name(s)?
It is composed of the following generics in the respective strengths per capsule as being mentioned below:
- Thiamine hydrochloride – 2.5 mg
- Riboflavin – 2.5 mg
- Pyridoxine hydrochloride – 0.75 mg
- Nicotinamide – 22.5 mg
- Folic acid – 500 mcg
- D-panthenol – 2.5 mg
- Lactobacillus sporogenes – 40 million cells
How does it work ?
Vizylac is given in case of diarrhea or with antibiotics to achieve proper gut flora balance. It helps in increasing the local immunity thereby keeping the balance of yeast and bacteria in gastrointestinal (GI) tract as normal. It boosts the activity of friendly bacteria which fast track the process of restoration of normalcy. It actually boosts the conversion of sucrose and other types of sugar in to lactic acid. It helps in improving the absorption of nutrients by boosting the breaking down of food.
What are it’s uses ?
Vizylac finds its use in cases of loose stools (or diarrhea) and excess gas in the stomach. It helps in the formation of good bacteria which fight the harmful bacteria, thereby balancing the overall bacterial and yeast level in the gastrointestinal tract. It is mainly useful in antibiotics induced bacteria.
How effective is this medicine ?
Vizylac is specifically effective in antibiotics induced diarrhea or AADs. Also, this is very effective in cases of too much gas in the stomach. It is considered as one of the best mild probiotic.
What are the Side Effects ?
Below listed are some of the commonly reported side-effects of this capsule :
- weakened immunity
Any undesired effects like rashes, cough, irritation in throat, itching, swellings on mouth, lips , face etc. should be reported to the doctor immediately.
Things to consider:
- Storage : Store it at a cool place, with temperature under 25 degree Celsius, preferrably a refrigerator.
- Protection : Keep it protected from light and moisture
- Interactions : Do discuss with the doctor your current medications just to ensure that the prescribed medicine don’t react with your regular ones, as this may yield bad results. Especially in case of antibiotics as they react with lactobacillus, and medications which lower the immunity , like tacrolimus (FK506, Prograf), azathioprine (Imuran), basiliximab (Simulect), cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune), corticosteroids (glucocorticoids), daclizumab (Zenapax), muromonab-CD3 (OKT3, Orthoclone OKT3), sirolimus (Rapamune), prednisone (Deltasone, Orasone), mycophenolate (CellCept), and others.
- History : There can be a risk if you have a history of weakened immune system and/or short bowel syndrome.
- Timing : It should be taken with a time gap of at least two hours pre or post antibiotic intake.
What is the Dosage ?
Oral dosage of Vizylac: For adults and children above three years of age , 2 capsules can be taken with or without food 2 to 4 times in a day.
Unless they are chewable ones, the capsules should be neither crushed/broken nor chewed , but only swallowed. The fillings of the capsule can be sprinkled over liquid or soft food, only to be swallowed.
The chewable tablet must not be swallowed, but crushed and mixed with food.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
Precaution must be exercised while taking Vizylac in case the patient has any of the below mentioned medical conditions:
- Infection or damage in the intestines
- Allergic to any part of this drug
- If signs of allergy are noticed like itching, rashes, swelling of any part of face, tongue or throat, cough, breathlessness etc
- If the patient has an impaired immune system in the body
Apart from the above one must discuss the current ongoing medication with the doctor as this medicine if taken with certain other medicines can cause bad effects for the health of the patient.
Is it safe to take If I am pregnant ?
If you are pregnant it is safe to take vizylac, unless your allergic to any of its components. It is advised to consult with your doctor before administering this drug.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
There are no reports of any adverse effects of taking vizylac while breastfeeding. Still one must have it prescribed it by a qualified doctor.
Can this medicine be given to Children and Infants ?
Yes, under Doctor’s prescription this medicine can be safely given to children.
But it is not advised to give this medicine to infants as it comes in the form of capsules/tablets. There is in no way an infant can take it easily and safely.
Is Vizylac available as over the counter (OTC) product?
Yes, Vizylac is available as an over the counter or an OTC product. It is advised to consult with a qualified doctor before administering this medicine to avoid any bad effects on the patient’s health.
Frequently asked questions
Is it helpful in managing problems of digestive system?
Yes, it is helpful in managing problems of digestive system. Please consult your doctor before using the medicine for this.
Is it safe to consume alcohol while on this medicine?
No, alcohol should be avoided while taking this medicine.
How to store this medicine?
This medicine has to be stored in a cool and dry place at room temperature, away from the reach of children. Use of an air-tight container is advised for the storage. Always discard the medicines post its expiry date.
You might find this article interesting How To Get Rid Of Gas – HOME REMEDIES FOR WOMEN