What is Brazilian wax
Brazilian waxing involves the removal of hair right from the belly button to the buttocks. It is somewhat different from Bikini wax. Brazilian wax involves a clean waxing on, around and beyond the bikini zone. That is why Brazilian wax is also known as ‘bare wax’ because it leaves you bare and hairless from your belly button to the buttocks.
How to get ready for a Brazilian wax
- Select a reputed salon and the job should be entrusted to someone who has experience and expertise.
- Get your appointment a week after your monthly cycle. It hurts the most a week before periods.
- During periods, it is inconvenient to get your intimate area waxed.
- So, keep your monthly cycle dates in mind while choosing the date for an appointment.
- If your skin type is ‘sensitive’, bring it to the knowledge of your beauty expert.
- Do not shave for at least three weeks before the waxing.
- A patch test should be done to make sure that your skin is not prone to overreactions.
- Take a shower and refrain from using any lotions around the bikini zone before you get a Brazilian wax.
- You may like to have a painkiller before the appointment.
Difference between a bikini and Brazilian wax
- Basically, there are two types of bikini waxes.
- The first is what I call the “Classic” bikini.
- Which means that I wax from where the leg creases, where the hip and leg join, to the upper mid-thigh (if needed), and the inner thigh.
- I do not go beyond the crease (meaning going towards the vagina), but I may take a little off of the top if requested.
- The second type of bikini wax is the “Extended” bikini.
- The amount of hair taken off for an “Extended” bikini is a lot vaguer compared to the “Classic”.
- The amount taken off is based on the client’s preference.
- It could range from just taking a little hair off from the sides and top to almost a Brazilian where there is a little landing strip, but still hair on the inner lips of the vagina.
- I just have one disclaimer and that is I do not know who invented the Brazilian wax, but I will explain to you what I do.
- The major difference between a Brazilian and a bikini wax is that with Brazilians the inner lips of the vagina are waxed, as well as the “back end” aka in between the butt cheeks.
- Some women will prefer to either leave a landing strip (which is rectangular in shape), an upside-down triangle or have EVERYTHING taken off (some call it the pre-pubescent look).
Precautions to take before going for a Brazillian wax
- Stick to regular waxing appointments, try to get your private part waxed every 3-4 weeks to get accustomed to the procedure.
- Do not scrub abrasively immediately after the waxing session gets over, wait for at least 24 hours.
- Avoid hitting the gym the day you get your waxing done, too much of pulling and tugging may attract germs and lead to infections.
- Let the beautician take care of ingrown hair, do not tweeze or shave in between two waxing sessions.
- Try not to get it done when it is too hot outside.
- You can take a pain killer prior to your session or use a numbing cream if it is too painful for you.
- Consider taking a hot shower and exfoliating gently before hitting the salon for a bikini wax.
- If you feel an itching or burning sensation down there, then apply an oil or aloe vera gel to calm your nerves and soothe your skin.
- Book an appointment in the salon, a week after your chums get over.
- Never, ever go for a bikini wax while you are chumming or a week before your due date as your skin is most sensitive during that time of the year and you will go through more pain.
- Try to visit a salon that has expertise in this regard.
- Make sure that your beautician sanitizes her hands before using anything on your body.
- Even the applicator should either be sterilized or a new applicator should be used in place of the old one.
- Just like the rest of your body, your intimate area needs moisturization.
- Use a moisturizer that neutralizes the pH to keep infections at bay.
- Don’t wear body-hugging outfits for at least 24 hours after getting waxed, it will lead to more pulling and tugging to make things worse for you.
- Make it a point to conduct a patch test beforehand if you have sensitive skin.
- Drink enough water to keep your body hydrated all day long.
You may feel uncomfortable to visit a salon and open up in front of a stranger and rather do it yourself at home, so I am listing down a Brazillian wax recipe that you can easily try at home at your leisure.
DIY Brazillian wax recipe
- Castor sugar: 2 cups
- Lemon juice: quarter cup
- Purified water: quarter cup
- Add all the ingredients in the specified quantities in a pan.
- Bring it to boil.
- Start stirring the mixture once it starts to bubble up.
- Let it solidify, but not harden completely.
- It should have a runny consistency.
- Apply a little bit of this concoction on your wrist to check the temperature.
- Ideally, it should be hot but not hot enough to burn down your delicate skin.
- Apply it on the areas that you want to wax with the help of a spatula.
- Apply some talcum powder prior to this step so that your hair sticks to the wax.
- Grab a waxing strip.
- Stick it on your skin and rub gently for a while.
- Pull it off.
- You will feel the pain but slowly and steadily you will get accustomed to it.
- You must cleanse and exfoliate your skin before waxing it.
- Moisturize with aloe vera gel after waxing to soothe the irritated skin and avoid tiny bumps from coming.
- Try to wax after 3 weeks to get the best results.
You might find this article interesting How To Remove Upper Lip Hair Permanently At Home?