WISDOM TOOTH PAIN
Wisdom teeth, also known as the third molars are a set of four teeth which appear on the upper and the lower jaw, behind the molars. They appear on both the sides (left and right). These teeth are the last ones to appear.
Wisdom teeth can emerge during the late teens or when the person is in the twenties.
Why is it important to remove the painful wisdom tooth?
When there is not enough space in your mouth for the wisdom tooth, it can disturb the natural alignment of the teeth and lead to infections. Thus, it is sometimes important to get rid of the wisdom tooth.
Causes of wisdom tooth pain
This tooth ache could be a result of a variety of reasons. One of the most common reasons which result in a painful wisdom tooth is that it has outgrown the space and cannot fit comfortably in your gum. Sometimes, one may experience intense pain and swelling due to the occurrence of an infection over the bruised and sore skin.
HOME REMEDIES FOR PAIN IN WISDOM TOOTH
The appearance of a wisdom tooth can be quite painful and hinder normal activities such as eating or talking. While you will probably have to go to the doctor to get it extracted, here are a few simple home remedies to help you get some pain relief:
Using salt water to rinse your mouth can be very helpful while dealing with the pain of wisdom tooth.
- Take some warm water. The water should be neither too hot nor too cold.
- To 1 cup of warm water add 1 tablespoon of salt and mix.
- After the salt has dissolved, add half a teaspoon of turmeric to it and mix.
- Rinse your mouth with this solution and gargle as well.
- Swish it around the sore area within your mouth and repeat this a few times. You can do this right in the morning or before going to bed so that you do not have to use your teeth for something immediately.
This is one of the most common remedies for reducing swelling and inflammation.
- All you need to do is prepare an ice pack and place it gently on the affected area of the mouth.
- Do not apply too much pressure as it might aggravate the pain symptoms.
- Use the ice pack for about 15 minutes or till you feel the pain subsiding. You will experience a feeling of numbness in the treated area for a few minutes but that is normal.
Ginger works as a great remedy for pain relief as it has anti-inflammatory properties. It can provide instant and long lasting relief from inflammation or swelling and prevent the pain from coming back. To prepare the ginger tea,
- Cut 5-6 slices of ginger with the skin removed.
- Make sure the ginger is fresh and juicy.
- Heat up 2 cups of plain water and add the ginger slices to it.
- Allow the water to come to a boil and then let the water simmer till the amount has been reduced to almost half. This will take about 10 minutes.
- By this time your tea will turn quite yellow and the aroma will be quite strong.
- Turn off the heat and strain this tea.
- Have it once it has cooled down a little. Do not add any sweetener to it.
Cloves contain large amounts of antioxidants and are also packed with anti-bacterial properties. It can heal infections quickly and help in reducing painful swellings. To use cloves for the purpose of pain relief,
- Take a cotton swab or Q-tip.
- Try to loosen the threads so that the cotton can absorb more oil.
- Now mix a few drops of clove oil with a tablespoon of olive or coconut oil. It is better not to use clove oil directly as its taste may seem too strong to some.
- After diluting the clove oil, dip the cotton into it and apply on the wisdom tooth.
- Reapply after a few hours to prolong the effects.
Not many people know that guava leaves have been used by Ayurveda to provide relief from pain. They also work very well to ease this tooth pain. Guava leaves have bioflavonoids which help to soothe the sore nerves. Its analgesic properties are long lasting as well.
- Collect around 4 to 5 fresh guava leaves and clean them thoroughly under running water.
- Heat up some water in a pan.
- Add the guava leaves to this water and cover with a plate. This step is important because guava leaves can be difficult to chew. They are a little hard. Since the wisdom tooth pain will not allow you to chew very nicely, it is better to use guava leaves after they have turned soft. The hot water and the steam will turn the leaves soft enough to be chewed.
- Break these leaves into smaller pieces and chew on them making sure that its juices go over your wisdom tooth.
- You can repeat this remedy as many times as required.
- Do not ingest the guava leaves.
Peppermint oil has tremendous bacteria-fighting properties. It proves to be very helpful while dealing with infections. It also has analgesic properties which make it excellent for pain relief.
- Use some cotton to apply a few drops of peppermint oil over the painful area.
- Let it stay for about 10 minutes. You may experience a slight tingling sensation but this is normal after effect.
- Rinse your mouth using lukewarm water.
You can also prepare peppermint tea.
- Add some peppermint leaves to freshly boiled water.
- Allow the leaves to brew for about 10 minutes.
- Consume this tea while it is still hot.
Garlic and salt remedy
Garlic is antibiotic and anti-inflammatory in nature. Using crushed garlic as a pain relief remedy is very effective.
- Peel around 3-4 cloves of fresh garlic and add 2 pinches of salt and 1 pinch of turmeric to it.
- Now crush all the ingredients together so that the garlic juice is well combined with the salt and turmeric.
- Now apply this over your wisdom tooth and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Then you can rinse your mouth with lukewarm water.
- To remove the smell of garlic from your mouth, you can use some peppermint oil later on.
Coconut oil rinse
Coconut oil is widely known for its healing properties. It has immense anti-microbial properties. When experiencing discomfort due to the wisdom tooth, one has to make sure that the oral hygiene is not neglected. If you notice any bleeding or release of pus, the coconut oil will be an excellent remedy. It can not only help with the bleeding but will also provide protection against infections. You can repeat this process at least 2 times a day to get relief and achieve overall oral health.
Mustard oil treatment
Mustard oil was used during earlier times to reduce swelling due to any kind of injury. Mustard oil is very good at healing the affected area and provides protection against infections. It also helps to relieve pain and soothe the inflamed area. To do this remedy,
- Take a few tablespoons of mustard oil.
- Add a ¼th teaspoon of turmeric powder to it. Turmeric is also a natural analgesic compound which reduces sore nerves.
- Mix the two ingredients well and then proceed to heat up the oil.
- Make sure the oil is not too hot. Dip your finger into it to see if you can tolerate the temperature.
- Using a cotton ball apply the oil on the affected area.
- Do not use this oil mixture to rinse your mouth as mustard oil is very thick and the turmeric could stain your teeth. Although this is not harmful, you must avoid unnecessary build up in your mouth.
Turmeric milk has been a trusted remedy for overall health since ages. Turmeric is packed with anti-oxidants. Consuming turmeric on a daily basis not only helps to strengthen immunity but also promotes digestive health. It helps to detoxify the body from within by removing the unwanted bacteria. It reduces the inflammation inside the body which is the root cause of most health problems. Turmeric milk will also work well to reduce the pain of wisdom tooth as it will soothe the area from within. To prepare this milk,
- Take 1 cup of raw milk and let it boil.
- After it has boiled, add ½ a teaspoon of turmeric powder to it.
- Try getting your hands on the organic powder which would have no adulterations.
- Mix it into the milk and have it before it gets cold.
- The preferred time of having this is right before you go to sleep as turmeric milk helps to promote good and sound sleep.
- Avoid adding any sugar or sweetening agent into the milk. Sugar causes inflammation in the body and lowers the immunity. It may prolong the healing process.
Using onions to relieve tooth ache is a common practice. The sulfur compounds present in onions helps to fight bacteria present in the mouth. To do this remedy,
- Take a slice of onion and lightly grind it to release the juices.
- Now take some of the paste and put it on the aching wisdom tooth.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes before you rinse your mouth.
- It is advised to this remedy only once a day as the strong smell of onion may linger and seem unpleasant. To avoid this, follow up with a mint mouthwash.
PRECAUTIONS FOR WISDOM TOOTH PAIN
- When experiencing tooth ache, it is very important to make sure that you are maintaining oral hygiene. This can be achieved by using mouth washes. Using mouthwashes can also help with the pain for some time.
- While using painkillers is very common, do not take more than 1 pill in 24 hours. Pain killers have several side effects. You can use natural remedies mentioned above to keep the pain and inflammation at bay.
- If you have to go through with a surgery then get tested for allergies to the anesthetics. This will usually be advised to you by the doctor.
- Do not consume anything too cold or too hot. Avoid using straws for drinking fluids as they create pressure in the mouth cavity. Instead, sip on them slowly.
MYTHS AND FACTS
|Everyone grows wisdom teeth at some point.||The fact is that some people may never have wisdom teeth. Most people get one wisdom tooth while a few may see all 4 to appear.|
|Removing the wisdom tooth is not necessary.||For most people, the arrival of a wisdom tooth comes with pain and soreness. These symptoms can quickly escalate to infections and bleeding if not attended to. There in many cases, removal of the wisdom tooth is the best option.|
|Wisdom tooth removal is a painful procedure.||People do not visit their dentists on time for the fear of painful procedures. However, removing the wisdom tooth is very safe and relatively painless because you will be given anesthetics during the procedure.|
|You can predict the occurrence of a wisdom tooth.||You can feel it emerging but there is no way of pre determining whether you will have wisdom teeth, how many will you have and when they will appear.|
Frequently asked questions
What is the recommended time for doing these remedies?
Do not eat or chew any hard food. The best time to have long lasting relief is doing these is before you go to bed.
What will happen if the wisdom tooth is not removed?
If your tooth is causing you pain and discomfort then you must have it removed eventually. Not removing it timely could result in further problems such as infections, bleeding, cyst formation and cavities.
Is a wisdom tooth always painful?
In most cases, a wisdom tooth will be painful. This is because these set of teeth are quite big and there is not enough space in the jaw to fit them properly. Hence they may cause discomfort and result in pain.
You might find this article interesting Earache Remedies, Causes, Precautions & More…