Food Rich In Iodine
For starters, Iodine is a chemical element. It is very important for the human body as it provides functioning of a lot of parts however, the body in itself cannot produce it. That is when food rich in iodine comes in picture. Before getting ahead of ourselves, let’s understand why does our body need this nutrient?
It is the thyroid gland that needs iodine to make hormones. Lack of it can cause an enlarged thyroid gland also known as goitre, which is an evident swollen neck. Iodine deficiency can also be caused due to lack of iodine which can cause problems like infertility, prostate, breast and ovarian cancer.
However, before looking at everything dark, first, let us understand the benefits that iodine has on our body and how consuming it in moderation can help keep the body healthy and fit.
Benefits Of Iodine For Body
There is a reason why iodine is a must and very important for the human body. Iodine contains mineral and an essential component of the thyroid hormones, triiodothyronine and thyroxine.
Let us look at the benefit and importance of iodine for the human body and increase its consumption for our betterment.
- Iodine regulates thyroid function.
- Reduce birth effects.
- Regulates body temperature.
- Triiodothyronine and thyroxine regulate the metabolic activities of cells.
- It also plays a vital role in the process of early growth and development of most organs, especially the brain.
- Iodine helps in controlling metabolism.
- It helps in maintaining a high energy level.
- Also known to prevent cancer.
- Consumption of iodine removes toxins from the human body.
- Moderate consumption of it boosts immunity.
- Forms healthy and shiny skin.
- Prevent enlarged thyroid gland.
- Most important for a child’s brain and its growth.
Food Rich In Iodine
There are a lot of options for vegetarian, non-vegetarian and vegan when it comes to iodine. A lot of food is highly rich in iodine and a little consumption of it is enough to fulfil the human body needs.
Inculcate one of them or an amalgamation of a few to include in your diet for a healthy body.
- 1 g of seaweed=16 to 2,984 mcg of iodine.
Seaweed is one amongst the best ingredients to cure thyroid because of its iodine content.
It has a naturally good taste and the dried form of it is the go-to remedy in case of iodine deficiency. Seaweeds come in a variety and the one rich in iodine are Nori, Kombu, Kelp and Wakame.
- 1 cup of yoghurt=154 micrograms of iodine.
- 1 cup of milk = 56 micrograms of iodine.
The dairy product such as milk, yoghurt and cheese are a rich source of iodine. The grass fed to the cows is the source of iodine in the milk. It is the non-organic milk that contains 40% more iodine than the organic one.
Milk products also get their iodine from the antiseptics used on dairy equipment.
The amount of iodine in cheese varies based on its type. For example, an oz of cheddar cheese contains 12 mcg of iodine. Making a plain sandwich with cheddar will easily contribute to the 8% of iodine that the body needs.
- 1 large egg = 24 mcg of iodine.
They are a great source of iodine during the deficiency.
The egg gets its iodine from the chicken feed. It is the yolk part that contains the maximum iodine. Eating a boiled egg gives the body enough iodine that it needs to convert food to energy.
It provides the body with 11% of iodine that the body needs on a daily basis.
- 3 oz of tuna = 17 micrograms of iodine.
Canned tuna in oil is a better source of iodine than canned tuna in water. Tuna is a fattier fish hence contains lower iodine content when compared to fishes like cod.
However, it is still enough to provide the body with 16% of daily iodine intake.
- ½ cup of boiled Lima beans=8 mcg of iodine.
Lima beans are the most versatile and healthiest ingredients.
Lima beans contain goitrogens that help in disrupting the production of any excess iodine to the body which can cause thyroid gland inflammation and issues as severe as thyroid cancer.
The perfect ingredient for people with iodine deficiency and for people with vegan choices, lima beans contributes 10% iodine that a body requires on a daily basis.
- One gram of salt = 77 micrograms of iodine.
It is the most common way of providing the body with iodine.
It covers 73% of iodine intake that the body requires on a daily basis. Iodized salt is the cheapest way of treating iodine deficiency and thyroid problems.
- A 3-ounce = 35 micrograms of iodine.
Seafood is great sources of iodine and so is shrimp.
Consuming shrimp with the shell provides the body with additional iodine than consuming it without it. Shrimps absorb iodine from the sea and hence all seafood including it is rich in natural iodine.
It provides the body with 23% of iodine that the body needs on a daily basis.
- 100 grams serving =100 micrograms of iodine.
Lobsters can help cure iodine deficiency problem whilst tasting really good.
However, limit its consumption as overdoing has shown varied allergies from it.
Baked Turkey Breast
- 3 ounces of turkey breast = 34 micrograms of iodine.
Baked turkey is a rich source of iodine.
It provides the body with 23% of iodine that the body requires on a daily basis. However, stay clear of turkey in case of pregnancy as it can create flu-like symptoms which is harmful to both the mother and the baby.
- 1/2 cup = 4 mcg of iodine.White rice has high nutritional values.
If consumed without added salt, it falls under a low-iodine diet.
A low iodine diet helps control the excess iodine in the body and is also a perfect diet before any thyroid related surgeries.
- A medium-sized baked potato = 60 micrograms of iodine.
Considering it is consumed on a daily basis, it is the easiest source of iodine after salt.
It naturally contains iodine in it, however, its actual quantity differs based on the soil. The recommended daily consumption of potato is 150 mcg per day.
Potatoes iodine gets absorbed faster than other ingredients in the form of iodide. This helps to cure thyroid related issue faster.
- 4 ounces of cranberries = 400 micrograms of iodine.
They are the perfect ingredients to help with hypothyroidism or efficient thyroid functioning and one amongst the best fruits for iodine intake.
Stay clear of packed cranberry juices as they come with added sugar. Opt for fresh juices as it is known to prevent the growth of cancer in the thyroid.
- 1 cup= 3.6o mcg of iodine.
Rich source of iodine and vitamin K, spinach belongs to the family of beets.
It helps cure thyroid related problems like hypothyroidism.
- Half-cup green beans = 2% of the daily value of iodine.
Beans in general, such as Lima Beans, Navy Beans, and Green Beans are a heavy dose of iodine in life.
It falls under the low-iodine diet which aims to reduce the iodine intake before any thyroid related treatment. It is also a perfect ingredient to regulate the iodine intake in the body.
- 3 oz of codfish= 63–99 mcg.
Cod is a moist, low-calorie fish that comes with several essential nutrients. Iodine being one.
It gets its iodine from the sea water. Codfish provides the body with 66% of the daily iodine intake.
Himalaya Crystal Salt
- A half gram of Himalaya salt = 250 micrograms of iodine.
Himalaya salt or grey salt is the purest form of a salt which is not stripped of its nutrients.
It is from the Himalayas and can be used just like any other salt. It contains iodine that is less than iodine salt and hence wouldn’t lead to over consumption. However, it is enough for the daily intake of iodine that is required by the body.
- 5 dried prunes = 13mcg of iodine.
Prunes are dried plums and a great source of iodine for vegans or vegetarians.
Prunes provide the body with 9% of iodine intake that is required on a daily basis.
- Two fish sticks = 54micrograms of iodine.
It is a good source of iodine till the time it isn’t fried. It can however be consumed baked to grasp all possible nutrients of it.
- 1 gram=2,984 mcg of iodine.
Kombu kelp can be obtained either in a dry or in a powdery form.
It is used in the famous dish of Japan named Dashi which is also known to be one amongst the most iodine-rich dishes. Kelp is known to have the highest amount of iodine in it. It provides the body with 2000% of the daily iodine intake.
However don’t overdo it as it can cause thyroid dysfunction as well.
- 1 gm = 66mcg of iodine.
This is seaweed but it tastes sweeter. Commonly used to make the famous miso soup.
Wakame from Asia has higher amounts of iodine than wakame from Australia. However, on average, it provides the body with 44% of daily iodine requirement.
- 1gm = 16-43 mcg of iodine.
Nori is the seaweed that is commonly used in sushi rolls. It is a red seaweed.
Compared to other seaweed, it contains less iodine and can be used without worrying about overconsumption. It fills up near about 11-29% of daily required iodine intake.
- 1-gram = 72 micrograms of iodine.
It is a perfect home remedy for thyroid dysfunction.
Dulse seeds because of its iodine presence help in making thyroid-stimulating hormones that keep thyroid problems at bay.
It’s also known to reduce the presence of goitre.
- 100 gm= 60 mcg of iodine.
Salmon comes loaded with Selenium which decreases the thyroid antibodies.
Being part of the water bodies, it comes packed with natural iodine from the sea hence is the best source for it.
- 40gm= 2.47 mcg of iodine.
Oat is a rich source of iodine and helps with an underactive thyroid.
Mix it with milk and pine nuts, peanuts or soybeans as they all work well when it comes to thyroid related issue.
- 100gm of mussels=140mcg.
It contains Selenium that is rich iodine that cures thyroid problems.
It plays an important role in selenoproteins which is responsible for the metabolism of thyroid hormones.
- 60gm= 4.40 mcg of iodine.
Barley is a rich source of selenium that specifically targets thyroid related problem naturally.
Barley falls under a low iodine diet and is hence perfect for thyroid and for pre-meals before any major thyroid surgeries.
- 1 ounce = 774% DV.
It contains an abundance of Selenium which fight against thyroid problems.
The thyroid gland produces essential hormones for the body and the abundance of selenium present in brazil nut helps keep it functioning.
- A can = 35 micrograms of iodine.
Considering that they are from the sea, they are the most natural source of iodine.
Adding it to the diet will keep all the thyroid related problems at bay and would save you a trip to the doctor.
- 6 ounces = 25-130 microgram of iodine.
It contains Selenium which is the best sources for fighting against thyroid problems.
Considering it falls under the low iodine diet, it works well for thyroid problems and also acts as a prep meal before getting your thyroid treated.
While pork consumption is good, processed pork is very high on iodine and can hamper the health if consumed regularly.
- 100gm of peanuts= 20 micrograms of iodine
Peanuts are a good source of iodine and a healthy snack when mixed with the right ingredient.
They also have Goitrogenic compounds that regulate the iodine content required by the body and restrain excessive iodine to reach the thyroid gland and in turn prevent the formation of thyroid hormones.
- 100gm of apple=<0.5 micrograms of iodine
Consuming a freshly juiced apple juice can provide a high level of iodine to the body.
Stay away from the processed version as it contains a lot of sugar which is not good for the body. Instead, eat a fresh apple, that would provide the body with enough iodine.
They are a great source of iodine. When consumed on a timely basis, it also helps cure thyroid conditions.
It also contains selenium which works towards curing thyroid problems. However, one should not consume it if suffering from hyperthyroidism as it increases the thyroid output.
Pineapple is a great source of iodine and comes in abundance in it.
It works as a great agent for the proper functioning of thyroid glands and preventing one from hypothyroidism or goitre.
It is a rich source of iodine.
Artichokes belong to the sunflower family and is a very good source for treating Hashimoto disease which is a thyroid disease that slowly destroys the gland itself.
It also contains Selenium, a compound that helps with thyroid problems.
Whole Wheat Pasta
Whole wheat pasta is also a good source of iodine to the body.
You can double the effect by adding cod or other seafood while preparing this. Pasta comes with B vitamins are which when cooked, acts as a great source of iodine.
This is yet again a very important source of iodine for people who are vegetarians or mainly who are vegans. However, moderate consumption is expected which is a maximum of 1100 mcg. Always consult a doctor before adding this onto your diet as it can have some side effects. Whilst providing iodine, it will help you with thyroid problems as well.
Symptoms Of Iodine Deficiency
The lack of iodine in the body can cause iodine deficiency. Lack of iodine can also cause goitre as well as cretinism which results in developmental delays and other health problems. Iodine is used by the thyroid gland to make thyroid hormones, which controls growth, repair damaged cells.
It also supports a healthy metabolism in the human body. Lack of iodine is the riskiest for pregnant women, people staying in less iodine soil city, people who consume less iodized salt and people who follow a strict vegetarian and vegan diet.
Let’s look at the iodine deficiency symptoms so that one can avoid them and prevent them for a healthier life.
- Goitre, or enlargement of the thyroid gland.
- Swollen neck.
- Weight gain
- High cholesterol
- Rapid heartbeat
- Appetite fluctuations
- Hair loss
- Dry skin
- Issues with learning or memory
- Complications during pregnancy
Health Issues Due to Iodine Deficiency
While iodine deficiency in itself is risky for the human body, it can further increase the problems and cause health issues that sometimes directly need medical attention.
- Heart-related disorders, such as an enlarged heart and heart failure can be caused due to lack of iodine deficiency.
- Mental health issues such as depression and cognitive impairment are also possible due to it.
- Damage to the body’s peripheral nerves, known as peripheral neuropathy is quite risky and quite possible with deficiency.
- It can also cause impaired ovulation, which may cause infertility in women.
- Childs miscarriages are quite possible with low iodine in the body.
- Stillbirth is also a possibility.
- Preterm delivery which complicates things for both the mother and the child is also possible.
- Congenital abnormalities in newborns.
- Lack of iodine is also known to slow down brain development in a child.
Iodine Requirement For Human Body
Considering that iodine is a strong substance for the body, moderate consumption of it is vital. There is a certain amount of iodine that the body needs every day as per the age or the age group you fall in.
Look at yours and make sure to add at least a minimum of that on your meals to keep away from health problems like iron deficiency.
Recommended consumption/per day
|Birth- 6 months||110 mcg|
|7-12 months||130 mcg|
|1-8 years||90 mcg|
|9-13 years||120 mcg|
|14-18 years||150 mcg|
|Pregnant women||220 mcg|
|Breastfeeding women||290 mcg|
Iodine Oozing Recipes
Easy Seaweed Salad
|Brown seaweed||1/2 cup|
|Cold water||5 cups|
|Brown rice vinegar||1 tbsp|
|Soya sauce||3 tbsp|
|Agave nectar||1 tbsp|
- Take a bowl and add 1/2 cup seaweed to it.
- Add water and soak it for 20 minutes.
- Once it turns green, keep it aside.
- Make the sauce by mixing together 1 tbsp of vinegar, 3 tbsp of soya sauce, and 1 tbsp agave nectar.
- Adjust the proportions according to your preference.
- Boil the seaweed in water for 30 seconds.
- Let it cool.
- Drain it to get rid of water.
- Mix it with the thinly sliced 1/4th piece of onion in a bowl.
- Toss in the dressing. Enjoy the salad cold.
Brown seaweed contains Iodine and Tyrosine that Support Thyroid Functions.
|Vegetable (cabbage/onion/carrot/cauliflower)||A small bowl each|
|Coconut oil||1 tbsp|
|Peanut butter||3 parts|
|seasoned rice vinegar||Splash|
- Take a saucepan or a deep vessel and fill it up with water.
- Add kelp noodles into it a semi boil it.
- Take a pan and add 1 tbsp of coconut oil into it.
- Heat it over medium flame.
- Add the small bowl of cabbage, onion, carrot and cauliflower into it and saute till it cooks.
- Take the boiled kelp noodles and add it to the sauteed vegetables.
- Cover it up with a lid.
- Let it sit till the noodles cook completely.
For the sauce:
- Take a seperate saucepan and add miso, peanut butter, rice vinegar and sugar to make the sauce.
- Mix them all well.
- Add a little water to it to balance the consistency.
- Toss the noodles into the sauce and stir fry.
- Your iodine-rich kelp noodles is ready.
Kelp noodles are a great source of iodine and is preferred as the top dishes for its nutrients. It is also low on calories and is hence healthy for the human body.
Marinated Zucchini and Seaweed Salad
|White vinegar||2 tbsp|
|Olive oil||2 tbsp|
|Algae (Nori, lettuce sea, fight)||1 tbsp|
- Take 2 zucchini and wash-cut them into thin slices.
- Add a little parsley and chop them into fine pieces.
- Take a dish and place the thinly sliced zucchini in it.
- Fill that dish with 1/2 ltr of water and 2 tbsp of white vinegar.
- Leave it overnight.
- Leave the seaweed in abundant water.
- Drain the water the next day when the seaweeds would have hydrated enough.
- Finely chop the seaweed, 2 cloves of garlic and add 1 tbsp of chopped parsley to it.
- Let it breathe for 1 hour before serving it fresh.
Seaweed is the most preferred source of iodine.
|Seaweed||3 1/2 oz|
|Sea lettuce||3 1/2 oz|
|Nori seaweed||3 1/2 oz|
|Flaxseed||1 1/2 tbsp|
|Chickpea flour||1 1/2 tbsp|
|Baking powder||1/4 Tsp|
|Salt and Pepper||As required|
- Take a cup, soak the seeds with water worth of a finger on the seeds.
- Take a seperate bowl and add 3 and a half seaweed, 1/4th Tsp of baking soda, 1 and a half tbsp of chickpea flour, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir it using a ladle.
- Chop 1 onion, 1 carrot, 1 red pepper and a handful of cilantro and soak it in water.
- Mix all the ingredients including the chopped veggies and the chickpea batter to form a paste.
- Cover and keep for half an hour to the refrigerator.
- In a pan add enough oil to fry the burgers.
- Heat it up for a few minutes.
- Make small balls out of this mixture and press them from hand to give it a pattie shape.
- Fry and brown the hamburgers on both sides.
- Once fried enough, remove and leave them on absorbent paper.
- Throw it in a bun and your burger is good to go.
- If you have problems with the fried foods you can also do it in the oven.
- Preheat it and then add a pinch of oil in it.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes.
Seaweed is an excellent source of iodine. It is perfect on days when you are looking to eat something that taste delicious and is yet healthy.
The Ultimate Thyroid Drink
- This works like a detoxifying drink however it is perfect for thyroid related problems.
- Take a glass or probably a bottle.
- Fill it up with purified water.
- Now, take 1/2 cup cranberry and chop them into pieces.
- Take 1/2 organic peach and dice them into pieces too.
- Do the same with 1/2 an orange.
- Add all of them into the water and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- The more you let it sit, the better it will be in terms of providing the body with iodine.
- You can keep refilling the water to it till the fruits lose its flavours.
Cranberry is known to have an abundance of iodine that jelps the thyroid glands to produce thyroid hormones and stay clear of health issue like hypothyroidism.
Spicy Seeded Herb Bread
|Almonds||2 2/3rd cup|
|Pumpkin seeds||3 cups|
|Sunflower seeds||1 cup|
|Brown rice flour||2 1/2 cup|
|Psyllium husk powder||6 tbsp|
|Bread Topping||1 tbsp|
|Garlic powder||1 tbsp|
|Fennel seeds||1 tbsp|
|Himalayan salt||2 Tsp|
|Chia seeds||4 tbsp|
- Take your food processor and add sunflower seeds and almonds.
- Blend them well.
- Take a large mixing bowl and add almond-sunflower mix to 3 cups of pumpkin seeds, 2 and half cup of brown rice flour, 6 tbsp of psyllium husk powder, 1 tbsp of bread topping like sesame seeds, 1 tbsp of garlic powder 1 tbsp of fennel seeds, 2 Tsp of Himalayan salt, 2 Tsp of flaxseed, 4 Tbsp of chia seeds and 5 whole cups of water.
- Stir all the ingredients well.
- Let the chia absorb all the water for at least one hour.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and spray your bread pans with coconut oil.
- Divide the dough equally into two pans.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden.
- Remove and let it cool before slicing and serving.
The amalgamation of all the seeds with almonds and rice flour is enough to give body the amount of iodine that it needs. This is a quick fix for vegetarian for breakfast. It will taste delicious and will also be healthy.
Chia Pudding With Blueberries
|Chia seeds||1/2 cup|
|Almond milk||1 1/2 cup|
|Agave nectar||1 Tsp|
|Vanilla essence||1 Tsp|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Tsp|
|Frozen berries||1/4th cup|
- Take a bowl and add 1/2 cup chia seeds, 1 and a half cup almond milk, 1 Tsp of agave nectar, 1 Tsp of vanilla essence and 1 Tsp of ground cinnamons in it.
- Mix all the ingredients really well.
- Leave it in the fridge overnight to soak.
- Let it stay till the chia seeds become gel-like.
- Divide them into bowls.
- Garnish with berries, and serve.
Chia seeds is the perfect ingredient for iodine in the body. As it is not fried and made fresh, it is even healthy for the body.
Mung Bean Burger With Mushroom and Kale
|Sunflower seeds||2 1/2|
|Mung beans||7 ounce|
|Tomato Puree||1 tbsp|
|Virgin olive oil||1 tbsp|
|Salt and pepper||As required|
- Using a food processor, turn the sunflower seeds into bread crumbs consistency.
- Chop half an onion and toss it in a saucepan.
- Saute till it becomes golden-brown.
- Slice the mushrooms and cook for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the kale and let it become a little slimy.
- Place the mushroom mix in a food processor and add 7 ounces of mung beans, 2 tbsp of capers, a pinch of paprika, 1 tbsp of tomato puree and 1 tbsp of virgin olive oil.
- Season and process it but make sure it is not very smooth or watery.
- Once out of the food processor, use your hands to make small burger patties.
- Take an oven and place it inside the oven.
- Bake at 355°F for 15 minutes, flip and bake for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Serve this with a sourdough bun or some fresh vegetables.
Sunflower seeds are a great source of iodine for the body. This way, you can have a dish that tastes great and is extremely healthy for the body as it is baked.
Minted Quinoa, Corn, and Mung Bean Salad
|Mung beans||1/2 cup|
|Pink salt||1/4th Tsp|
- Take a bowl and add 1/2 cup mung beans, 1 cup quinoa, 10 tomato cherries, 1 shaved sweet corn, 1/4th cup mint and 1/4th cup chopped parsley.
- Mix them all well and toss.
- Add 1/2 lemon to it and toss again.
For the Herbed Yogurt Dressing:
- In a small bowl, combine the yoghurt, citrus, herbs and spices. Whisk together.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Cover it and refrigerate till it is ready to use.
The parsley and mint when combined togther provide the freshness to the corn as well as to the sprouted Mung beans. It is a great source of iodine to the body as well. And is also a great option for vegetarian.
Blueberry Açaí Super Smoothie
|Almond milk||1 cup|
|Orange juice||1 cup|
|Frozen blueberries||1/2 cup|
|Frozen acai||1 oz|
- Take a blender and add 1 cup almond milk, 1 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1/2 cup pineapple, 1/2 cup apple, frozen acai- 1 oz and a handful of baby spinach.
- Blend it till it forms a smooth texture.
- Serve it in glasses and serve fresh.
- You can also add beetroot to this.
This is a great healthy snack which is enriched with a lot of iodine and nutrients that will benefit your body whilst tasting yum.
Garlic and Onion Cashew Cheese and Lima Bean Toast
|Frozen lima beans||1 3/4th cup|
|Apple cider vinegar||1 tbsp|
|Onion powder||1/4 Tsp|
|Salt and pepper||As required|
- Take a medium bowl and add 1 cup full worth cashew and fill it up with water.
- Allow it to sit for a minimum of 60 minutes.
- Drain water and rinse cashews.
- In another bowl, gently toss 1 and 3/4th cup of frozen lima, 1 cup of parsley, olive oil, and juice of 1/4 lemon.
- Combine well.
- Season to taste.
- Set aside.
- Add the soaked cashews in a blender with 1/4th lemon juice, 1/4th cup yeast, 1 tbsp worth apple cider vinegar, 1/4th Tsp onion powder and a pinch of garlic powder in it and blend fast.
- Make a smooth paste of it.
- Season to taste.
- Transfer into an airtight container.
You can use a slice of toast and spread a layer of lima beans mixture and a layer of cashew-cheese mixture. You healthy snack to treat everyone is ready.
Edamame Seaweed Salad
|Dried seaweed||1/2 cup|
|Onion powder||2 green|
|Rice vinegar||2 tbsp|
|Maple syrup||2 tbsp|
|Soya sauce||2 tbsp|
|Sesame seeds||1 tbsp|
- Take a saucepan and fill it with water.
- Add 3 cups of edamame to it and boil it for 3 minutes.
- Drain it once the boiling is done.
- Soak the 1/2 cup seaweed in cold water and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Drain this as well.
- For the dressing, combine 2 chopped green onion, 1 tbsp of chopped ginger, 2 tbsp of rice vinegar, 2 tbsp of maple syrup, and 2 tbsp of soy sauce.
- Give it a good mix.
- Add the boiled edamame and soaked seaweed to a bowl.
- Pour on the freshly made dressing to it.
- Mix it well.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds all over the dish.
Edemame contains healthy fiber, iodine, antioxidants and vitamin K. They help with heart diseases and improve cholestrol as well.
Wild Garlic and Seaweed Pesto
|Wild garlic||7 oz|
|Wakame seaweed||3 oz|
|Nori seaweed||Half sheet|
|Sesame seeds||1-2 tbsp|
|Olive oil||As required|
|Umeboshi Vinegar||To taste|
|Sea salt||To taste|
|Black pepper||To taste|
- Take a bowl and add wakame seaweed into it. Soak it in water for 2 hours minimum.
- Take cloves of garlic and keep it into salt water for 2 minutes.
- Drain it and then mash it. Transfer this to ice water quickly.
- Take a saucepan and roast the sesame seeds over medium heat.
- Stir till it goes golden-brown.
- Toast the nori sheet in a skillet.
- Take a blender and add 1-2 tbsp of sesame seeds into a paste. Add the wakame, the nori, and the garlic into it.
- Add a small drizzle of olive oil or water as needed.
- Use a little umeboshi, black pepper and salt to taste.
Seaweed are excellent souce of iodine and adding it to the meal will ensure that you never suffer from iodine deficiency.
Seaweed and Tofu Poke
|Soy sauce||3 tbsp|
|Sesame seeds||2 tbsp|
|Lemon juice||2 Tsp|
- Take a bowl and add 2 tbsp of dried wakame to 2 cups of water. Let it sit.
- Rinse the tofu with water and squeeze firmly to extract as much juice possible out of it.
- Meanwhile, take a large mixing bowl and add 3 tbsp of soy sauce, 2 tbsp of sesame seeds, 2 Tsp of lime juice, 2 finely chopped garlic, 1/2 cup chopped red onion, 1/2 Tsp of ginger, and 2 finely chopped green onion into it.
- Take the tofu and cut into small cubes.
- Add them to the mixing bowl.
- Drain the water from the seaweed, rinse it with water and add it to the bowl.
- Gently stir all the ingredients until they are all combined.
- Eat right away or chill in the fridge.
- Serve cold.
Tofu and seaweed both are excellent sources of iodine and are a go to in case of deficiency. This hawaiian dish will cure your iodine needs as well as satisfy your taste palate.
Chinese Seaweed Salad
|Spice Broth||1/4th cup|
|Sesame oil||1 Tsp|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tsp|
|Cumin seed||1 Tsp|
|Sichuan peppercorn||1 Tsp|
|Fennel seeds||1 Tsp|
|Cinnamon stick||1 piece|
|Water||1 1/2 cup|
To Make The Dressing:
- Take a bowl and add 1/4 cup spice broth, 1 Tsp of sesame oil and 1 tbsp tahini.
- Mix them well.
- Set aside.
To Make the Main Dish
- Take a large bowl and soak 2 oz worth kelp seaweed in warm water for 10 minutes.
- Allow it to swell.
- Rinse and drain and cut the seaweed into thin slices.
- Take a saucepan and bring 1 and half cup water to a boil.
- Add the sliced and soaked seaweed to the boiling water and let it boil for 1 minute.
- Rinse the seaweed with cold water using a strainer and drain well.
- Place the seaweed in the mixing bowl with the shredded carrot and cilantro.
- Pour the prepared dressing into the mixing bowl and gently toss.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve cold.
To Make the Broth:
- Place 1 1/2 cups water and add 1 tsp of cumin seeds, 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorn, 1 tsp fennel seeds, 1-star anise, 1 clove, 1/2 piece tsaoko fruit, 2 bay leaf, 4 pieces ginger, 1 piece cinnamon stick to it.
- Bring the water to boil and keep the heat to medium.
- Boil it for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool down.
- Strain the broth through a very fine mesh strainer to remove spices.
A broth with fresh veggies is the best way to a healthy meal. Kelp seaweed is the perfect and preferred souce of iodine to this dish. Consuming it will help you better your health from within whilst curing you off all health problems.
Seaweed Green Smoothie
- Take kelp and chop them into fine pieces.
- Chop 1 apple into small pieces as well.
- Scoop out half an avocado.
- Take a blender and toss all these ingredients into it.
- Add 1 cup worth coconut water into it.
- Give it a good blend.
- Strain it get rid of any residues and chunky pieces.
- Drink it up to fill your body with an abundance of iodine.
Kelp is a seaweed and hence get its iodine content from the sea itself. This makes it one amongst the other ingredient to provide natural iodine.
Seaweed Salad With Toasted Sesame Dressing
|Cold water||2 tbsp|
|Soy sauce||2 tbsp|
|Agave Nectar||2 tbsp|
|Sesame oil||1 tbsp|
|Fresh ginger||1/2 Tsp|
|Toasted sesame seeds||Handful|
|Rice vinegar||2 tbsp|
- Take a bowl and add 1 oz of preferred seaweed into it.
- Add cold water to it and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Drain the water and squeeze out any excess liquid. Set aside.
- Take another bowl and combine 2 tbsp of rice vinegar, 2 tbsp of soy sauce, 2 tbsp of agave, 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1/2 Tsp ginger and 1 garlic.
- Mix well and taste to adjust the seasoning.
- Add the seaweed with part of the dressing.
- Take a plate and use the cucumber and carrots first.
- Top them both with the seaweed salad.
- Add more dressing as desired.
- Garnish with scallions and toasted sesame seeds.
This salad is a healthy munchy and can be consumed for a healthy dose of iodine in the body.
Mediterranean Baked Lima Beans
|Lima beans||1 cup|
|Bouillon cube||1 vegetable|
|Olive oil||2-3 tbsp|
|Wine vinegar||1 Tsp|
|Tomato paste||1 tbsp|
|Maple Syrup||1-2 tbsp|
|Salt and pepper||To taste|
|Fresh mint||3 tbsp|
- Soak 1 cup of lima beans into the water for at least 8 hours.
- Place them in a large pot with cold water and 1 bay leaf.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium heat.
- Simmer the beans for 30 minutes and drain it after that reserving one cup worth water and bay leaf.
- Mix a bouillon cube in the reserved cup of hot bean liquid and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Lightly grease an oven dish. Heat olive oil and add the garlic and onion till onion turns translucent.
- Add 1 carrot to it and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Next, add the tomatoes, reserved bean water, red wine vinegar, tomato paste, maple syrup, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Mix all of them and boil in a lower heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Transfer the beans, parsley, and mint to the baking dish and cover it with foil.
- Bake the beans for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Remove from the oven, remove the bay leaf, and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
Carrots, tomatoes and parsley all are rich sources of iodine and when added to the menu, can add a tinge of healthy to it.
Baked Lentils And Vegetable
|Lemon juice||1 tbsp|
|Vegetable stock||6 tbsp|
- The first step would be pre-heating the oven to a 350 F.
- Take an onion and poke it with 3 cloves from different directions.
- Take the lentils and keep it in a casserole dish along with the onion and vegetable stock.
- Cover and bake it for one hour.
- Take 2 potatoes, 1 pepper, 3 zucchini, 2 carrots and 1 celery stalk and cut and chop them into pieces.
- After 1 hour, take the onion out, pluck out the cloves, chop it and put it in a casserole with other chopped veggies.
- Mix it well and season it as per your liking.
- Cover it again and leave it to bake for an hour.
- Take it out after an hour and finish it by squeezing some lemon on it.
Fresh vegetables are known to have iodine way more than any cooked or processed food. They get it from the soil and the antiseptics that are used on them during the cultivation period.
Now that you are well aware of the benefits that iodine has on your body, the ways to prevent it and mainly the ingredients and recipes that can help you with an iodine intake, implement them in your life to live a better and healthier life. However, keep in mind that excess of anything is dangerous and consumption of iodine beyond its average consumption can also cause a severe health problem.
Maintain the amount of iodine consumption and you will never have to face problems like a goitre. And if consumption of all this seems too much of a task, there are a lot of ways that you can prevent iron deficiency. There are supplements available which will be an easier way to get iodine into the body, but they come with excess iodine that as mentioned can cause health problems.
So bring iodine into your life and say goodbye forever to all your thyroid related problems. A small step can make a very huge and healthy difference!
You might find this article interesting Top 3 Homemade Natural Drinks To Get Healthy And Beautiful Skin
This article has been medically reviewed by Dr.Geeta Sundar on 29/3/2019
The story of my life- I hate writing, I love having written- Dorothy Parker
Latest posts by Vani Kambali (see all)
- How To Make A Natural Body Butter That’s Perfect For Your Skin Type - August 14, 2019
- Prepare Homemade Lip Balm For Pink Soft and Moisturized Lips - August 14, 2019
- Reasons for Painful Periods and Menstrual Cramps – Effective Home remedies - August 14, 2019