Garlic and Honey Natural Remedies you must Know
Garlic and honey combination is an excellent choice for people who are looking to benefit from these amazing natural ingredients. These are used widely in many ayurvedic treatments since they are both rich in healing properties. The wonderful combination of these natural ingredients can be used for treating infections and improving overall health.
This article brings to the many uses of garlic and honey. Different home remedies can be prepared for the treatment of various ailments.
GARLIC AND HONEY REMEDIES
Garlic and Honey Remedy for Cold
- Take 1 teaspoon of ginger powder,
- Add 1 teaspoon of raw and organic honey to it and mix well together to combine the powder with it.
- Now take 1 fresh clove of garlic and add it to this paste.
- Mortar and pestle it so that the garlic clove is completely crushed.
- Once you have a thick paste with well-combined ingredients, take ½ teaspoon of it and eat it with 1 glass of lukewarm water.
- Take another dose of this after 3-4 hours to get more relief.
Garlic and Honey Remedy for General Immunity
- Take 12 fresh and peeled cloves of garlic.
- Take 1 cup of raw and organic honey.
- Put all the garlic cloves in an airtight jar.
- Pour the honey over the garlic cloves making sure that all the cloves are well immersed into the honey.
- Seal the jar and let it stand for a few days to allow getting the honey infused.
- After 3-4 days, place the mixture in the refrigerator.
- Whenever you begin to feel sick or can feel the flu coming on, take one clove of garlic from the jar and eat it with a little bit of lukewarm water.
- The garlic will taste sweet and palatable and hence, you will be able to consume it without worrying about the strong taste.
- Have 3-4 cloves a day.
- If you have consumed all the garlic cloves then the leftover honey syrup can also be taken for reducing cough and treating nausea
Garlic and Honey Remedy for Weight Loss
- Take 1 cup of lukewarm water.
- Add ½ teaspoon of garlic powder to it and 1 teaspoon of organic honey to it.
- Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar as per your choice.
- Mix well.
- Strain this water once and then consume it before or after the morning meal.
- This remedy must be done once a day.
Garlic and Honey Remedy for Reducing Acne
- Take 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and add 1 teaspoon of honey to it.
- Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder to it and mix well to get a paste.
- Apply this paste to the affected areas and let it stay for a few minutes.
- Wipe it off with a wet tissue.
- Do this remedy once a day before going to bed.
Garlic and Honey Remedy for Nausea
- Take 6-7 garlic cloves and crush them roughly. Do not make a paste.
- Dry roast them on a pan until they are slightly brown and crisp on the surface.
- Dip them in raw honey and chew on them gently.
- Start doing this remedy at least 1 hour before you begin to travel.
- Eat one roasted clove with honey before travelling and one roasted clove while travelling to avoid nausea and motion sickness.
- This remedy can be used generally as well for getting rid of nausea.
Precautions and Side Effects
- If you are a beginner in consuming garlic then start with the minimum dose mentioned in the remedies. This is because garlic can create heat in the stomach and if consumed excessively, it may cause an upset stomach or diarrhoea.
- Do not use these remedies for children at all.
- Do not apply garlic paste to the broken skin as it can lead to irritation.
- Pregnant women must use these remedies only after consultation from the doctor.
- People suffering from hypertension and those who have undergone a surgery must not consume excessive garlic as it may increase the risk of bleeding.
- Honey is available in many varieties but organic and raw honey must be used for these remedies. Avoid honey from the nectar of Rhododendrons as it can be toxic for people with heart ailments.
While selecting the cloves for remedy:
- Make sure the garlic cloves are fresh.
- Avoid the cloves which have brown spots on them.
- Pick the garlic bulbs with big and thick cloves since the ones with thin cloves shrivel easily and turn dry.
- Make sure the garlic is not mouldy.
- The cloves should be firm and pale white in colour.
- Do not use cloves which have started sprouting. If you notice any green stem growing at one end of the clove then discard it since it will taste bitter due to the sprouting.
- To see if the clove is fresh, simply slice one of it from the centre to see if it has enough juice in it. Pick the cloves from the same bulb of garlic.
While picking honey for the remedy:
- Make sure the honey is organic and raw. Generally, honey which is good in quality has a deep amber and golden colour which appears to have a string like consistency when heated.
Health Benefits of Garlic
Garlic is often times considered as a superfood by many people including the practitioners of Ayurveda. It comes from the plant family of onions which is why it bears similarity to the plant. Garlic is characterized by a pungent and strong odour which one has to acquire a taste too. With a history of thousands of years of use, garlic has been used by several civilizations across the world for flavouring as well as its medicinal properties.
Other parts of the garlic plant are also useful. Its leaves, as well as flowers, are used in cooking while in some countries, people consume the tender green garlic to have a milder yet garlic-like flavour.
It has plenty of proven health benefits which make it an excellent food choice for the health conscious. Here are a few of those health benefits:
- Garlic is nutritious in nature
Garlic is a source of manganese, vitamin B6, vitamin C, Selenium and even fibre. It also contains small amounts of other minerals such as calcium, potassium and phosphorus. While garlic is high in its nutrition content, it also contains trace minerals like iodine, chlorine and sulphur. It contains a wide variety of nutrition but at the same time, has very few calories. Every 3 grams of garlic contains only 4 calories.
- Prevents acne
Acne is a common problem worldwide and is mostly caused due to the deposition of dirt in our pores. The clogged pores then harbour bacteria which lead to acne. But garlic paste can be used as a topical treatment for reducing acne. This is because it has antibacterial and antifungal properties. The sulphur present in the garlic helps in eradicating any bacteria present on the skin and shrinks the pimples. Garlic also helps in cleansing the skin and getting rid of rashes and inflammation.
- Helps in curing infections
Another great use of garlic as a topical treatment is curing any skin infection. This is gain due to its antimicrobial properties which help in removing germs from the infected area and aiding in the healing process. It not only reduces swelling or inflammation in the infected area but also prevents the infection from getting worse.
- Improves digestion
Garlic is an excellent ingredient for those who suffer from frequent indigestion. This is because garlic soothes inflammation in the gut and also helps in the breakdown of food. It helps in maintaining the digestive system and also reduces bowel problems. It has to be consumed only in a limited quantity to keep the digestive tract healthy.
- Controls cholesterol levels
Garlic contains a compound known as allicin which helps in preventing the harmful LDL cholesterol from getting oxidized. Thus, it also prevents the accumulation of fat and toxins in the body.
- Prevents diabetes
Diabetes is one of the silent killers which affects millions across the world. If not brought under control, diabetes can have serious complications such as kidney failure and reduced immunity. Garlic is generally considered as an excellent food ingredient for those suffering from diabetes as it helps in controlling the blood sugar levels.
- Flushes out the toxins from the body
Garlic can help in improving the immunity level since it eliminates the free radicals in the body. These free radicals are unstable molecules which can damage the immune system and the cellular DNA. Garlic has high levels of antioxidants and also helps in removing the free radicals. This way it not only protects the body internally but also provides a degree of protection against cancer.
- Helps in reducing hypertension
While many may find the smell of garlic a bit strong for the first few times, studies prove that garlic odour can be useful in reducing stress level. Due to the presence of Allicin, a major component in garlic, the blood vessels are relaxed. This not only brings the blood pressure under control but also reduces stress.
- Treats cold and cough
Garlic helps greatly in controlling the symptoms of cold because it has antiviral properties. Garlic consumed in combination with other healing ingredients not only helps in reducing symptoms like the blocked nose, cough and body pain but also helps in reducing the duration of sickness.
Health benefits of honey
- Has healing properties
Studies state that honey can be used in the treatment of burns since it has healing properties. Hence, applying good quality of pure honey can help in the treatment of wounds as well. The only caution to be followed is that honey must never be given to infants as it can lead to food poisoning in infants.
- Natural sugar
Honey is naturally sweet in nature and therefore serves as a healthier substitute for white castor sugar which may be adulterated. Unlike processed white sugar, honey can help in providing benefits to the body along with adding a sweet flavour to many recipes. In fact, replacing sugar with honey can prevent in gaining those extra calories. Consumption of raw honey is also known to activate the release of hormones which suppress appetite. Hence, it can be a great aid for people struggling with weight loss.
- Reduces the risk of allergies
Consumption of raw and organic honey on a daily basis is known to help with suppressing allergic reactions. This is especially true in the case of pollen allergies. Bees pollinate flowers and in doing so, add some harmless amount of pollen to the honey they produce. When an individual consumes this honey regularly, their body begins to develop some degree of immunity towards such pollen.
- Provides energy
The main component of honey is natural sugar. Hence, honey is also referred to as the perfect running fuel since the sugar it provides is fairly easy to digest and provides immediate energy to carry out various activities. This is why having honey with water early in the morning is considered a good ritual.
- Packed with antioxidants
Raw honey is an excellent source of antioxidants which help in removing the free radicals from the body. By eliminating these harmful molecules from our body, honey helps in improving our immunity and enhancing the functioning of the body. It contains disease-fighting antioxidant flavonoids such as pinocembrin and chrysin which can help in fighting cancer cells.
- Heals dry skin
Honey is intensely hydrating and moistening in nature which is why it has a thick consistency. Honey is an amazing skin moisturizer which is why it is claimed to be used in several skin care products for the hydrated and glowing skin. However, no cosmetic works better than raw honey applied directly on the face for a few minutes. Honey makes the skin soft and supple.
- Fights acne and pigmentation
Honey has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Hence, it helps in acne control when applied to the affected area. Another benefit of honey is that it helps in removing pigmentation and suntan. It helps in getting rid of externally dark skin since it contains very small and safe amounts of hydrogen peroxide which helps in removing pigmentation gradually.
- Helps in treating insomnia
Consuming raw honey before going to bed can be very helpful in promoting a restful sleep by promoting the release of melatonin which in turn regulates the sleep-wake cycle. By enhancing the quality of sleep, it helps the body to get adequate rest to repair the damaged tissues in the body.
- Helps in treating cough
Consuming honey when suffering from an itchy throat or a cough due to cold, can help in reducing mucus secretion. It also helps in reducing the itching and irritation in the throat due to the coughing or any other infection.
You might find this article interesting