Here’s how you can turn gray hair back to its natural color with potato skins
It is far better to treat gray hair with natural remedies as the dyes consist of chemical substances which can leech into the skin, damage them and could even result in cancer. The potatoes which are used by us regularly are also known as White potatoes due to its flesh color. These regular potatoes are rich in vitamins and minerals which are used in the strengthening of hair growth. Moreover, their skin can also be used to convert gray hair back to its original color.
- Six medium or large sized potatoes
- A Large cooking pot
- A clean mesh strainer
- A large bowl
- Essential oil (of your choice)
- Cotton ball/s
How to prepare?
- Take five or six potatoes and thoroughly rinse them. Peel off the skin of the potatoes and keep it aside.
- Take a cooking pot with water and boil the water. After some time, add the skin of the potatoes into the boiling water and further boil it for about 30 minutes. Then turn off the flame and keep the cooking pot aside until it cools down.
- Filter the solution using a mesh strainer (or a cheesecloth) in a clean bowl and remove the peel of the potatoes from the solution. Allow the solution to hibernate for a few minutes.
- If you find this solution too thick for your hair, then you can dilute this solution by adding some water. Then add a few drops of your choice of essential oil into this potato solution, to increase the nutrient content of the solution.
How to use?
- Wash your hair thoroughly as usual with your regular shampoo (it is best if you use a mild one).
- After conditioning your hair, wash your hair again.
- Then detangle your hair from tresses with your fingers (It is not advisable to use a comb as the breakage of hair is high when your hair is in wet condition).
- Apply the prepared potato solution in the hair using a cotton ball.
- Massage your hair for a few minutes and allow it to dry for 30 minutes.
- Later, wash your hair with cold water and dry your hair.
Using this method for a few weeks can work wonders for both men and women. Potatoes consist of minerals like iron, phosphorous., calcium, fibre and potassium along with vitamins such as Vitamin A, B and C. The presence of starch in the skin of these potatoes are considered to act as the natural hair dye. Though it is not a permanent solution for colouring your hair, it shows high benefits to the hair growth.
Grey hair and its causes:
As your age increases, your hair would obviously change its original colour to white or gray colour. The hair follicles present in our body are made as small sacs which line the cells of the skin. These hair follicles consist of Melanin which is responsible for the appearance of the original color of your hair. As you get older, hair follicles may lose melanin pigments (or reduce its production) which would lead to the appearance of gray hair.