How to Stop a Toothache Fast at Home
Your teeth’s health and oral hygiene are very important for your well being. Your smile plays a huge part in your first impression. Hence, if you are dealing with pains or aches in your teeth, you won’t be able to perform at the top of your game. Moreover, teeth have many nerve endings. So if they are paining for whatever reason, it can be very crippling and debilitating. The pain’s intensity in teeth gets very high usually and then you are not able to concentrate on anything else or go about your daily life comfortably.
That is why it is essential to have a regular dental doctor and regular checkups. However, that can be quite expensive and you can never be sure of a doctor’s diagnosis unless you research more and get more opinions. That is why sometimes it can be quite handy to have a few home remedies around which can aid you to alleviate your toothache quickly and efficiently. We have compiled and brought to you this extensive post which will provide you with many home ingredients and remedies which will help treat your toothaches naturally and without any side-effects.
How To Get Rid Of Toothache Pain Fast
Toothaches can be pretty crippling as the pain and discomfort might get too much to bear. We have compiled this extensive list of home remedies which you can utilize to get rid of your toothache fast. Most of these remedies use all natural ingredients to help you cure any pain and aches in your teeth and gums. Moreover, you will be able to find many of these in your kitchen already.
You won’t run up a big bill while using these remedies. Moreover, you will be able to treat your toothache by yourself. Furthermore, these remedies will help you enhance and maintain your dental health and the state inside your mouth. So, do not worry and use these remedies to figure out the best one for yourself to get rid of toothache quickly.
Clove and its oil have been used to relieve pain and discomfort caused due to tooth decay, oral infections, or throat inflammations for centuries. This is because clove has potent antiseptic and analgesic properties. Clove oil is even used in modern dentistry to provide relief from pain and killing harmful microbes in the mouth during extractions, fillings and root canals. Cloves contain a compound in ample quantities called eugenol. Eugenol is the main active compound in clove oil and it has strong anesthetic and analgesic (pain-relieving) properties.
The eugenol in the cloves blocks certain pain receptors to relieve you from toothache. Scientific studies have found that clove oil is more effective at alleviating toothaches than other analgesics. One study even found that it is as effective in numbing pain as the synthetic anesthetic benzocaine. Results from a scientific study that was published in the Avicenna Journal of Phytomedicine summarized that oral administration of clove extract displayed significant pain relieving effects on mice.
How to use it?:
You can use any one of the following remedies which utilize clove to treat your toothaches and improve your oral health.
You can use a clove directly to get relief from tooth pain. Chew on a clove near the affected areas in your mouth to release its oils inside your mouth and teeth. You will feel a tingling and numbing sensation in your mouth which means it is performing its job. This numbing effect will help curb any pain in your teeth.
Or, you can also use clove essential oil as a remedy to treat toothaches.
To use clove oil, take a tiny amount of it, about 2 drops. Then, apply the drops on the affected area in your mouth. Clove essential oil is quite strong so exercise caution while using it.
Following is a home remedy which involves clove oil to relieve toothaches.
|Clove essential oil||5 drops|
|Olive oil||1/2 tablespoon|
|Cotton ball or swab||as needed|
- Firstly, cleanse your mouth by swishing and gargling with warm salt water.
- After that, take a mixing bowl and add half a tbsp of olive oil to it along with 5 drops of clove essential oil.
- Then, mix the oils together well by stirring to form a blend.
- After that, dip a cotton ball or swab in the blend.
- Lastly, press the soaked cotton into your sore tooth or gums for about a minute and you are done!
You can also use the following remedy with garlic, clove oil, and rock salt to alleviate any pain in your teeth or gums.
|Clove oil||5 drops|
|Garlic||1 clove of it|
|Rock salt||a pinch|
- Firstly, take a garlic clove and then chop and crush it to form a paste.
- After that, take the crushed garlic in a mixing bowl and add 5 drops of clove oil to it along with a pinch or rock salt.
- Then, mix all the ingredients together thoroughly to form a smooth paste.
- After that, liberally apply the hence-obtained paste onto your paining teeth or gums.
- Then, leave the paste on your hurting teeth and gums for about 10 minutes.
- Lastly, gargle using warm water to wash off the mixture. You are done! Repeat this remedy twice a day to get rid of toothache rapidly.
Garlic is a popular ingredient in kitchens all over the world. It is also one of the most effective natural remedies for treating toothaches around. Garlic will kill off any harmful bacteria in your mouth and relieve aches from your teeth or gums. That is because it holds strong anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties which aids in keeping dental issues at bay. Garlic contains a compound called allicin in it. Allicin is what provides potent antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and antiseptic properties to the garlic. Hence, Garlic acts as a natural antibiotic and can curb the growth of bacteria in your teeth and mouth.
Garlic has strong analgesic and anesthetizing characteristics which can help you defeat the pain in your teeth. Scientific studies have shown conclusively that garlic inhibits the growth and spread of oral bacteria such as Streptococcus mutans and Porphyromonas ginigvalis. Hence, it can protect your mouth from various dental or oral diseases. Consequently, garlic will help relieve any pain and inflammation in your mouth while also improving your overall oral health.
How to use it?:
You can easily use garlic to relieve your toothaches. Just take a clove of garlic, cut it into half and then rub it on the affected areas in your mouth.
Or, you can even just take a clove of garlic in your mouth and chew it for a few minutes. This process may be unappetizing but it will relieve you from toothaches and promote better oral health. Do this in the morning to get the best results. You can repeat this remedy any time you are experiencing tooth pain.
You can also utilize a paste made from garlic to alleviate the pain and aches in your teeth.
|Garlic Cloves||a couple of them|
|Table/Rock/Black salt||as needed|
- Firstly, take a couple of cloves of garlic and crush them into a paste using a mortar and pestle or whatever else you got.
- After that, sprinkle a bit of salt on the paste and mix the two together well.
- Lastly, apply this paste directly over the paining areas in your mouth to get rid of the pain soon. You are done!
You can also prepare the following garlic mouth wash to care for your oral health while also helping you to relieve any tooth pain and curbing infections.
|Garlic Juice||1 teaspoon|
|Table salt||1 teaspoon|
|Warm distilled water||1/2 cup|
- Firstly, take half a cup of warm distilled water in a clean disinfected airtight container bottle.
- After that, add in 1 tsp each of garlic juice and table salt to the water.
- Then, combine the ingredients together thoroughly by stirring them for a few minutes. You have got the mouthwash. Leave it be for a few minutes so that it cools down to normal temperatures.
- Lastly, to use it, just take a mouthful of it and swish and gargle it in and around your mouth for a few minutes to promote better oral hygiene and alleviate any pain. Then, spit it out and wash your mouth with plain water and you are done! Repeat this remedy 3 or 4 times in a day to treat your toothaches quickly.
You can also use the following, highly effective spice paste to remedy your toothaches.
|Ginger root||a small piece|
|Cayenne pepper||1 teaspoon|
- Firstly, take a small piece of ginger root and crush it to obtain a powder.
- After that, mix the ginger powder with a tsp of cayenne pepper and a little bit of water. Make sure you get a smooth and consistent paste.
- Then, take a cotton ball a dip it into the paste to soak it. Then apply the cotton ball onto your hurting teeth or gums.
- Lastly, leave it on for a few minutes and then take it out and rinse your mouth. You are done! Repeat this remedy whenever you are experiencing debilitating pain in your mouth.
Wheatgrass is the young grass of the wheat plant, Triticum aestivum. It and its juice can be very effective in alleviating toothaches and enhancing oral health and hygiene. Wheatgrass has a high concentration of chlorophyll which imbues it with fantastic medical benefits for the body. That is why it has become a target for various scientific studies to assess its true potential. Scientific evidence has shown conclusively that wheatgrass is a strong anti-bacterial. Hence, it can eradicate various harmful microbes which may cause damage and pain to your health. Moreover, it also has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. Hence, it is a great remedy to alleviate toothaches and curb any swelling or inflammation in your mouth.
How to use it?:
You can use wheatgrass directly or its juice to reap its benefits to your oral health and hygiene.
Just chew on a wheatgrass blade directly, nearby your aching teeth to mitigate the pain and aches.
You can also utilize wheatgrass juice in a variety of ways to remedy tooth or gum problems and aches. You can regularly drink a glass of wheatgrass juice every day to enhance your oral health from within. Or you can use a tablespoon of the juice to swish and gargle around in your mouth to treat it. Furthermore, you can also take a little bit and use cotton to dab it on the affected parts in your mouth to alleviate any pain in no time.
#4. Guava Leaf
Guava is a great and readily available fruit all over the world and it has tons of useful nutrients and health benefits too. Even the leaves of guava tree pack in antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties along with its fruit. They contain tons of anti-oxidants like tannins to relieve pain and protect your health and wellness from any harm. Guava leaves contain a lot of flavonoids too. These provide powerful analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties to the leaves. Hence, it is a terrific and effective natural home remedy to alleviate toothaches and pains. Moreover, it will not only relieve you from toothaches but also help treat mouth ulcers and swollen gums.
How to use it?:
You can cure your toothache simply by chewing on a guava leaf or two. Place the leaf nearby the problem area and chew on it for a while to get its juices in your teeth and gums to relieve the pain.
Conversely, you can also use the following remedy to employ guava leaves for curing the pain in your teeth and mouth.
|Guava leaves||5 of them|
- Firstly, take a cup of water in a pan and then place it over a burner.
- After that, place 5 guava leaves in the water and then bring the water to a boil.
- After that, strain the water to remove the guava leaves from it and then let the solution cool back down to room temperature.
- Lastly, use the hence-obtained solution to gargle and swish around in your mouth to relieve pain in your teeth. You are done! Repeat this remedy twice a day regularly until you cure the pain in your tooth.
#5. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil was used in Greece since ancient times as a topical anti-bacterial remedy for healing and treating the skin and any wounds or cuts on it. It has many beneficial characteristics like it is anti-microbial, anti-oxidative, anti-inflammatory and more. A primary compound in it is called carvacrol which provides analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties to this oil to curb pains and inflammations. A team of scientists from Brazil studied the healing capacity of carvacrol and found that it was highly effective at reducing the rate of inflammation by up to 46 percent.
Oregano oil’s strong antibacterial and antiseptic properties inhibit damaging microbes from causing an infection in your mouth. Moreover, it will also prevent the growth fungi as it is anti-fungal too. Oregano oil contains another compound called thymol in it. It is the active ingredient used in over the counter mouthwashes available in your local shops to fight bad breath, bacteria, and plaque. Thymol is an antiseptic and acts as a robust antibacterial and antifungal agent to combat bad breath and even gingivitis. Oregano oil even stimulates the immune system to enhance and promote your immunity levels to defend your body against infections and issues.
How to use it?:
Since oregano oil is quite strong, some care is needed while handling it. Use it diluted for best results. You can use the following simple and straightforward recipe to utilize oregano to relieve your toothaches.
|Oregano oil||1 drop|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 teaspoon|
- Firstly, take a teaspoon on extra virgin olive oil in a small bowl.
- After that, add a drop of oregano oil to the olive oil and combine the two oils together well to form a consistent blend.
- Lastly, gently rub the blend onto your aching tooth. Use your fingers for this purpose but make sure to clean them well prior. You are done! Repeat this remedy one or two times a day until you get rid of your toothache for good.
You can also use oregano oil to brush your teeth. Simply add a single drop of oregano oil to your toothbrush and use it to brush your teeth. You can also add the drop to your paste on your brush if you wish. Oregano oil can also act as a natural anesthetic to curb any pain or swelling in your mouth. You can also use the following mouth wash to utilize oregano oil’s pain relieving properties.
|Oregano oil||5 drops|
|Peppermint oil||5 drops|
- Firstly, take a clean bottle or container (glass container or bottle is recommended) and add all the ingredients in it in the required quantities. Use pure distilled water for this.
- After that, shake the container vigorously to combine the ingredients together well.
- Lastly, take a couple of teaspoons of the mouthwash or about 10 ml and swish it and gargle it in and around your mouth for about 30 seconds to a minute and then spit it out. You are done! Repeat this remedy daily to get rid of your toothaches in no time while also improving your oral health and hygiene.
#6. Vanilla Extract
Vanilla beans have a naturally sweet and unique flavor. Its extract is made up of both simple and complex sugars, along with a bunch of vitamins and minerals. It has many beneficial properties which include balancing hormones, reducing inflammation and preventing cancer. Moreover, It has strong calming and soothing effects that is why it has been used as a remedy to relieve pain and toothaches for a long time. Hence, it numbs any pain in your teeth or gums. That’s because vanilla has antiseptic and analgesic properties that will help alleviate a toothache promptly. Furthermore, the vanilla extract contains slight levels of alcohol and contains tons of antioxidants that aid in numbing and soothing the pain in teeth and mouth.
Furthermore, vanilla’s scent is quite soothing and relaxing for many people. It is believed that when you’re more relaxed, your body releases hormones which serve as natural painkillers to numb pains and aches in your body.
How to use it?:
First of all, you can use try using vanilla extract directly on your mouth. This remedy has helped many people to relieve any pain and aches in their teeth quickly.
|Vanilla extract||1 teaspoon|
|Cotton balls||as needed|
- Firstly, take a teaspoon of vanilla extract in a bowl.
- After that, take a cotton ball and dip it in the vanilla extract to soak it.
- Then, place the cotton ball in your mouth where the tooth is aching. Rub your gums and teeth gently where it is paining.
- Lastly, just leave the cotton in your mouth for 3 to 5 minutes and then remove it. You are done! Repeat this remedy twice in one day to alleviate your toothache in a hurry.
Or, you can also use the following vanilla extract blend with almond extract to help curb tooth decay and relieve any pain and aches.
|Vanilla extract||1 teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1 teaspoon|
- Firstly, take equal parts of vanilla and almond extract and then mix them together well.
- After that, apply the blend onto your affected tooth and gums.
- Lastly, reapply the mixture onto your aching tooth and gums two times a day. You are done!
You can also utilize vanilla extract directly to alleviate your toothache. To do that, take half or a teaspoon of vanilla extract in your mouth. Then take some water in your mouth and swish and gargle for a bit and then rinse. Conversely, you can add 3-4 drops of the extract directly to the toothpaste on your brush and use it to brush your teeth.
Onion is one of the oldest cultivated plants in the world. Aside from adding flavors, onion also has many medicinal and beneficial application for the body and health. A 2012 study in African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology reported conclusively that onion held significant and potent analgesic, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. Hence, it is terrific for soothing pain and inflammation. Moreover, it can easily kill off any germs or other harmful microbes which may cause infections in your mouth.
Consequently, onion is known to provide pain relief, curb swelling and prevent infection, whether consumed or used topically. It has quite a strong and pungent aroma but you will get used to it and there are ways to alleviate that too. Onion holds phytochemicals that target the germs responsible for the infection and soothes your pain.
How to use it?:
You can use onions in any way you see fit. You can cut the onion into thin slices and place a slice over the area which is paining to alleviate the pain. Or, you can also mash the onion to obtain a pulpy juice and then apply that onto the aching teeth and gums. Chewing of a slice of onion, if you can, will also help you in treating the pain. Chew on it for about 10 minutes to get rid of the pain. You can also use the following recipe to utilize onions along with honey or other natural flavors to mask the taste if you can’t stand it.
|Raw onion||1 slice|
- Firstly, cut a slice of onion from a fresh one and then mince and mash it to form a sort of a paste.
- Then, mix the minced onion with a tsp of raw organic honey well.
- Lastly, apply the mixture onto the affected tooth and gum and you are done! Repeat this remedy twice a day until you get rid of your toothache for good.
Peppermint is an aromatic and terrific herb in the mint family. It is quite popular as a flavoring agent and it is used to flavor breath mints, candies, etc. Furthermore, many people consume peppermint as a refreshing and healthy tea. Peppermint leaves contain many essential oils which include menthol, menthone, and limonene. Menthol is what provides peppermint with its cooling properties and unique minty scent. Moreover, it has antibacterial, antiseptic and analgesic characteristics. Peppermint contains Phenolic compounds in it which grant it the ability to curb any pain and swelling in your mouth. It will provide a cooling and soothing sensation in your mouth as soon as you apply it. Moreover, its antibacterial properties will help inhibit the growth of oral pathogenic bacteria.
How to use it?:
Directly consuming peppermint essential oil is not recommended as it can be quite strong. The best way to extract its beneficial properties would be to use the leaves of the herb or in tea form.
You can take a few peppermint leaves and chew on them around the aching tooth. This will release its juice nearby the problem areas to soothe and alleviate the pain. You can also use dried peppermint leaves. Just place them on the aching tooth and hold them there for a while.
Tannic acid is also brilliant for relieving any pains or aches. Teas contain it in ample amounts. Hence, peppermint tea can be very beneficial in eradicating your toothaches. Use the following method to use peppermint leaves to alleviate tooth pain.
|Peppermint leaves||2 teaspoons|
- Firstly, take 1 cup of water in a pot and place it over medium heat to bring it to a boil. Boil the water for a few minutes.
- After that, remove the pot from the heat and add the peppermint leaves to it.
- Then, let the leaves steep in the water for about 20 minutes.
- After that, let the solution cool down.
- Then, take a mouthful of the water and swish it around your mouth for 30 to 40 seconds before spitting it out.
- Lastly, keep doing it until you run of water and you are done! Repeat this remedy every day to soothe your toothaches quickly.
Conversely, you can use peppermint oil to alleviate your toothache too. Just add 2-3 drops of peppermint oil into a ½ cup of water and then swish and gargle in your mouth with it 3 to 4 times a day to quickly get rid of your toothaches.
Cabbage is a great leafy and succulent vegetable. It contains phytochemicals in it which provide it with potent anti-inflammatory properties. Moreover, it supplies strong anti-oxidants too. Furthermore, it contains tons of essential nutrients and minerals for the body. Consequently, it helps to keep your body in great shape and health. Cabbage contains nutrients like B vitamins, potassium, manganese, copper, choline, magnesium, calcium, selenium, iron, phosphorus and protein. It also contains lactic acid in it. Lactic acid is a proven anti-bacterial hence it will eradicate harmful microbes from your mouth to prevent infections. People also believe it to be pain-relieving for the body. Warm compresses made with cabbage leaves have been used extensively by people to treat headaches. Consequently, cabbage leaves can also be effective in eliminating pain and suffering from your teeth.
How to use it?:
Using cabbage leaves to treat toothaches is quite simple and straightforward to do. You won’t need much at all too other than a fresh cabbage leaf.
|Cabbage leaf||1 of it|
- Firstly, take a fresh leaf from cabbage and then roll a rolling pin over it to smooth out its veins.
- After that, roll up the leaf and place it in front of the painful tooth.
- Lastly, leave it on for as long as is feasible and then remove it. You are done! Repeat this remedy once every day to alleviate your toothaches promptly.
#10. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil  is an amazing medicinal and curative oil with tons of benefits for the body and health. Its medicinal uses are nigh endless and Aborigines of Australia have been using it as a folk medicine to treat wounds, oral thrush, cold sores, skin lesions, acne, athlete’s foot, dandruff, and much more.
Evidence has shown conclusively that tea tree oil has potent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory characteristics. Hence, it fights against and prevents oral infections and other problems. This oil also has mild anesthetic effects. Hence, it is capable of providing quick relief from toothaches. Although, you should be careful not to ingest it as it is quite strong can have some detrimental effects on your body that way.
How to use it?:
You should take extra care when dealing with tea tree oil around your mouth. Ensure that you do not consume it orally. There have been cases of drowsiness, disorientation, and loss of muscle control in the people who ingested pure tea tree oil.
|Tea tree oil||2 drops|
|Olive oil||1/2 teaspoon|
- Firstly, take a small bowl and half a teaspoon of olive oil to it.
- After that, add in a couple of drops of tea tree oil to the bowl and mix the two oils together well to form a serum.
- Then, take a cotton ball and soak it in the serum and then apply it onto your aching tooth and gum. Keep it there for a few minutes for tea tree oil to work.
- Lastly, spit out the cotton ball and rinse and gargle with some water in your mouth. You are done! Repeat this procedure once every day until you get rid of your toothache.
Or, you can directly use tea tree oil on your aching tooth. Just take a couple of drops of the oil in a cotton ball and then keep it on the aching tooth. Conversely, you can add a few drops of it in a glass of warm water and then use the solution to swish around and gargle in your mouth. The, rinse your mouth and you will be able to soothe your toothaches rapidly.
The beneficial effects of salt on oral hygiene have become quite well known nowadays. Salt is one of the most common ingredients to be found in kitchens around the world. No one would not know where to obtain this remedy as it is practically essential for survival. Salt holds potent anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Hence, it will help soothe your toothaches and curb any inflammation or swelling or irritation in your mouth. Moreover, it will kill off harmful microbes in your mouth which can lead to many oral issues and infections. Saltwater stimulates and increases the blood flow and circulation to the affected part.
How to use it?:
Using salt for soothing pain in your teeth and gums is quite easy and does not takes much effort at all. You can use a classic warm water rinse to alleviate and soothe your toothaches.
|Warm water||a glass|
- Firstly, take a glass of water in a pot and then bring it to a boil.
- After that, let the water cool down until it is lukewarm and then pout it back into a glass.
- Then, add in a pinch of salt in the glass and dissolve it in by stirring the glass with a spoon.
- Lastly, take the warm salt water in your mouth and swish it around and gargle with it for a bit before spitting it out. You are done! You can use this remedy many times per day when your pain is becoming unbearable to soothe it.
Pepper also hold similar anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties like salt. Hence, it also provides many of the same effects in curbing the pain and aches in your teeth and gums.
- Firstly, combine equal amounts of salt and pepper together.
- After that, add in a few drops of pure water so that you can obtain a paste.
- Lastly, apply the salt and pepper paste directly onto your aching teeth. Let it stay on for a few minutes before you rinse your mouth. Repeating this remedy two times every day will get rid of your pain rapidly and for good.
You can also use just simple ice to alleviate and soothe your toothache. A cold compress will help you ease pretty much any pain on your body. Cold compression is the process of holding and pressing a cold packet onto your skin to soothe any pain under the surface of the skin. Coldness numbs the nerve endings to relieve the pain. Hence, it is quite effective in this particular function.
How to use it?:
Using some ice as a cold compress is very simple and straightforward. Just take some ice cube and warp them up in a clean cotton cloth.
After that, press the cloth onto your cheek nearest to the aching and paining tooth and hold it there to soothe the pain inside. You can also utilize any other cold packet to use as a cold compress. A good example would be a package of frozen peas.
Vinegar is a fantastically versatile and useful ingredient from the kitchen. It is used in all things from food preparation to home remedies for a variety of ailments which include treating toothaches. Vinegar has strong anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It is acidic in nature and hence it helps to kill bacteria and harmful microbes in the mouth which can easily cause a toothache.
How to use it?:
You can use this in a similar way to other liquid ingredients on this list. Soak a cotton ball in vinegar and then keep it on the affected tooth directly for a while.
On the other hand, you can combine equal portions of vinegar and water. Then, use this solution as a mouth wash and swish it around your mouth and gargle with it before rinsing your mouth.
#14. Baking Soda
Baking soda is another one of these essential kitchen ingredients. You will also find this one most of the home remedies that you look for regarding a wide range of topics. It is extremely versatile that is why it is commonly found in most of the households all over the world. It is most commonly used to bake delicious goodies and desserts but you can also easily utilize this to alleviate your toothaches.
How to use it?:
The simplest way to use baking soda to relieve toothaches is to mix 1 tsp of it into a glass of water. Then, using the solution as a mouth wash to swish and gargle around in the mouth.
Turmeric is an amazing medicinal and curative herb. It has been used in Ayurveda and other holistic practices of medicine for thousands of years. It is one of the most anti-inflammatory ingredients around. Hence, it can easily soothe your toothaches and swelling in your mouth. It also has strong anti-bacterial and antiseptic characteristics. These properties will eliminate any harmful bacteria and microbes from your mouth which may be leading to your toothaches.
How to use it?:
The best way to utilize turmeric for relieving pain in the tooth would be through a paste.
|Turmeric powder||1 teaspoon|
|Distilled water||as needed|
- Firstly, take a tsp of turmeric powder in a mixing bowl.
- After that, add in a bit of pure distilled water to the turmeric so that you can obtain a paste-like consistency.
- Then, apply the hence-obtained paste onto the affected area inside your mouth.
- Lastly, leave it on the aching teeth and gum for about half an hour before rinsing it out with warm water. You are done! repeat this remedy every day to quickly be done with your toothache.
#16. Oil Pulling
This is practically a classic remedy to better your oral health and hygiene and treat any oral issue including toothache. It is an ancient technique in which one takes some oil in the mouth and then swishes it around in there for extended periods of time. This process enhances the oral health and promotes better condition in there to remedy and prevent a variety of oral hygiene and health issues.
How to perform this?:
You can use sesame oil or coconut oil for this purpose as they are highly effective for this procedure. Perform this remedy every morning before you brush your teeth.
- Firstly, take a tablespoon of sesame or coconut oil into your mouth.
- After that, swish it and move it around your teeth and mouth for about 20 minutes, without swallowing it.
- Then, spit the oil out and rinse the inside of your mouth using warm water.
- Lastly, brush your teeth to finish the process. You are done!
#17. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature which aids it in killing off harmful bacteria which could be the reason behind your toothaches. Moreover, it has strong anti-inflammatory characteristics along with being an antibacterial. Hence, its application can be highly beneficial in treating the aches and pain in your teeth.
How to use it?:
You can use this fluid directly on your teeth to help remedy your toothache. Just make sure that you use unpasteurized apple cider vinegar to treat your oral problems.
Using it is very easy and straightforward, just like one would imagine or guess. Just take a cotton ball or swab and then soak it in apple cider vinegar. Then, apply the cotton ball onto the aching parts of your teeth and gums directly.
You can also use apple cider vinegar as a mouth wash too. To do that, first, dilute apple cider vinegar by mixing it with an equal quantity of water. Finally, just use this solution as a mouth wash. Swish it around in your mouth and spit it out two times a day and you will feel your pain fading away soon.
#18. Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberry, known as Amla in India, is highly medicinal berry. It is packed to the brim with vitamin C which is a great anti-oxidant and can treat various issues like infections or any other factors which wish your body harm. This fantastic berry also rejuvenates the gums and its tissues and promotes their regeneration and health. It can also help treat bad breath to promote a fresher one.
How to use it?:
Using it is as simple as just eating it. Consume one medium-sized Indian gooseberry every day and you will see your health getting better with your own eyes pretty soon. You can also obtain dried gooseberry powder, which you can use more conveniently. To ingest it that way, just dissolve a teaspoon of its powder in a glass of water and then drink it up.
Tips and Tricks for Better Oral Health
Now, we have learned about many different home remedies which will help you in the treatment of aches and pains in your teeth. However, prevention is always better than the cure, we’re sure you would agree. That is why we have assembled a few tips and tricks which will help you keep your oral health and hygiene in top shape. Consequently, you will get lesser toothaches and avoid many oral health issues, diseases, infections, etc.
- Follow a daily oral hygiene routine. That means you have to brush properly and regularly. brush your teeth at least twice in a day.
- Make sure that you are brushing properly and effectively. Your brush should reach every part inside of your mouth. Ensure that you brush the insides and back parts of your teeth too.
- You do need to press too hard when brushing. Make sure you are not brushing too vigorously as it can erode your enamel and gums too. Use a good quality soft bristled brush too.
- Use a good quality toothpaste which is appropriate for your teeth and requirements. Make sure your paste also contains fluoride in it.
- Remember to floss regularly. It helps to get out the food particles from areas where your brush has a hard time reaching. For instance, in the narrow spaces between your teeth.
- Regularly use a mouthwash after your oral care routine to flush out and eliminate any harmful microbes and bacteria that may have been left behind.
- Make sure that you are following a healthy and well-rounded diet. You need to ensure that your diet has enough vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients that your body needs. If your body is getting all the nutrients it needs, it will also keep your mouth and teeth healthy. After all, they are also a part of your body.
- Drink less alcoholic beverages and lessen or stop your smoking too. Drinking alcohol and smoking are very detrimental to your oral health along with your overall health.
- Reduce your consumption of carbonated and sugary beverages as much as you can. These drinks are very harmful to oral health as they lead to cavities and promote the growth of harmful oral bacteria.
- Visit your dentist regularly for checkups and consultation. Your dentist will examine and assess your oral health and will help you with diagnosis and remedies to keep your teeth healthy and far from pain.
You might find this article interesting Beauty DIY: 2 Homemade Toothpaste Recipes
This article has been medically reviewed by Dr.Geeta Sundar on 18/4/2019