What is Allergex ?
Allergex is the brand name for a laminated tablet, manufactured and marketed by Adcock Ingram Limited. It is available in market in the packaging of 3 strip per packet with 10 tablets per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Allergex available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
Generic name for this tablet is Chlorpheniramine. Each tablet contains 4 mg of chlorpheniramine. It is a antihistamine and it is used in treatment of allergic and anaphylactic conditions.
How does it work ?
If you are exposed to something you are allergic to – body reacts by producing chemical called histamine. Histamine causes the symptoms that we associate with allergy like hives and irritations. Chlorpheniramine is an antihistamine. It counteracts the action of histamine and relieves you from the symptoms of allergy.
What are it’s uses ?
This medicine is used for the relief of symptoms associated with following conditions:
- Allergic rhinitis such as sneezing
- Hay fever
- Rhinorrhea (runny nose)
- Itching of the nose and throat.
- Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria (Hives)
- Allergic dermatoses (allergic skin reactions)
How effective is this medicine ?
Allergex is a antihistamine and anti-allergic medicine. It is very effective in treatment of allergic reactions such as hives, cough, skin irritations and itching.
What are the Side Effects ?
Below are the common side effects that can occur from Allergex medication. Please consult a doctor if you observe any of these side effects:
- Drowsiness including lassitude, dizziness and in-coordination
- Gastro-intestinal disturbances such as vomiting, nausea, diarrhea or constipation.
- Anorexia or increased appetite
- Blurred vision, dysuria, dryness of the mouth
- Tightness of the chest
- Hypo-tension, muscular weakness, tinnitus, euphoria and headache
- Insomnia, nervousness, tachycardia, tremors and convulsions
This list is not a comprehensive list of all the possible side effects of this drug.
Consult your doctor immediately if you develop any other medical conditions while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
The usual dosage of this medicine is 1 – 4 tablets daily in divided doses. Doctor may suggest dosage depending on your medical history and other medical conditions, physical health and current medications. For optimum benefit from this medicine, maintain a regular schedule for the medication. Make sure that you take this medicine at a fixed time every day.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
Before using this medicine, consult your doctor or a healthcare expert if you have following conditions:
- You have difficulty urinating
- You have Glaucoma
- You have an enlarged prostate
- You have Liver disease
- You have sleep apnoea
- You are taking othe medications
- You have epilepsy
- You are taking any herbal preparation, or dietary supplements
- You have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- If you have a fast, slow, or irregular heart beat
- If you have a history of asthma, lung problems, emphysema
- You have high blood pressure, heart problems, heart blood vessel problems
- You had a stroke
- Blockage of your stomach or intestines, a blockage of your bladder
- If you have trouble in urinating, seizures, or an overactive thyroid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your doctor if Allergex may interact with other medicines that you take.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
It can be advised to take this medicine while you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant. It can be used for all the potential benefits it has, but it is recommended to consult your doctor for prescribed dosage.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, this it is not safe to take this medicine if you are breastfeeding or planning to start breastfeeding. This medication is passed through breast milk and may affect your baby adversely. Consult your doctor before use
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
Yes, this medicine can be given to children above 3 years of age. This medication is safe to use at the recommended doses; caution is however advised, as children may be more sensitive to side effects
Is Allergex available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
Yes, This tablets are available as an over the counter product. But it is suggested that you consult your doctor before using this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
Can Allergex be given to elderly people ?
Yes, a regulated dose with cautions can be given to elderly people. Take precaution while administering this medication on elderly people because side-effects are more likely to occur.
Is allergex available in other forms than tablet ?
Yes allergex is also available in the form of syrup and ointment.
What to do if I overdose on this medicine ?
In case of overdose of this medicine, immediately seek for medical attention.
Over-dosage can be fatal specially in infants and children.
In adults, the usual symptoms are of CNS depression with drowsiness, coma and convulsions. Hypotension may occur.
Elderly patients are more susceptible to the Central nervous system depressant and hypotensive effects even at therapeutic levels.
Why it is not advised to drive if you are on a dose of Allergex ?
The use of this medicine leads to drowsiness. This drowsiness and dizziness can be aggravated by the intake of alcohol. Patients should be warned not to drive a motor vehicle or operate machinery, as impaired decision-making could lead to accidents.