What is Ampiclox?
Ampiclox is a branded suspension injection which is a Antibiotic medicine. It works by killing the bacteria that cause infection in the body. This injections are manufactured and marketed by Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Limited and is available in market in packaging of 10 vials per box. Each vial contains 500 mg of medicine.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I miss the dose of this medicine ?
- Can I drive after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach ?
- Can I take this medicine with alcohol ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Ampiclox available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
This injection contains a medicinal mix of following two components in listed composition per vial:
- Ampicillin — 250 mg
- Cloxacillin — 250 mg
How does it work ?
Ampicillin and Cloxacillin, both are penicillin derivative antibiotics.
Ampicillin is a wide spectrum antibiotic and it works against both gram +ve and gram -ve bacteria. It stops the synthesis of bacterial wall penetrates the bacterial cell wall and kills the infection causing bacteria. This chemical is also helpful in making blood clots and hemolytic anemia.
Cloxacillin works by stopping the reproduction and cell division of bacteria. It kills the bacteria by penetrating the cell wall and there by reduces the infection.
What are it’s uses ?
Ampiclox injection can be administered in prevention, control and treatment of following diseases and conditions:
- Urinary tract infection
- Bacterial infection of vagina
- Skin infections
- Bacterial infectionin the respiratory tract
- Oral and ear infections
- Lung infection
- Infection on wounds
- Post surgical infections
- Childbirth and associated fever
- Typhoid and enteritis
- Skin ulcerations
- Bone infections and Meningitis
How effective is this medicine ?
This injection is very effective for all the conditions mentioned above. It has to be taken in the correct dosage, frequency and for the right period/ duration of time. Please consult with a doctor or a qualified health expert for the correct diagnosis of the problem.
What are the Side Effects ?
Ampiclox injection may cause following side-effects:
- Skin itching or rash
- Swollen lips, tongue, and face
- Breathing difficulty
- Bruising of the skin.
- Inflammation of blood vessels
- Joint pain (in arthritis)
- Enlargement of the lymph nodes
- Erythema Multiforma
- Hives and itchiness in private parts
- Changes in skin color
- Bumps under the skin
- Skin peeling, redness, pain
- Blistering, Pustules
- Headaches and body aches
- high temperature fever, chills
- Sore throat
- inflammation of the colon
- Blood in stool
If you experience any of these side effects, Inform your doctor immediately. This list is not a comprehensive list of all the possible side effects of this drug.
Consult your doctor immediately if you develop any other medical conditions while using this medicine.
Is Ampiclox addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. Government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence to medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What if I miss the dose of Ampiclox?
Can I drive after taking Ampiclox?
It is not safe to drive after taking this medicine if you experience dizziness or headache as side effects. One should not drive a vehicle if using the medicine makes drowsy, dizzy or reduces your blood-pressure. Please check for these conditions on your body while using this medicine.
Can Ampiclox be taken on an empty stomach ?
Yes, you can take it on empty stomach. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you to use this medicine.
Can I take Ampiclox with alcohol ?
This medicine should not be taken while having alcohol. However alcohol intake with this medicine may intensify drowsiness.It is better to consult your doctor before consumption of this medicine. Pharmacists also suggest not to take alcohol while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
Doctor can suggest dosage depending on your medical history and other medical conditions, physical health and current medications. The dosage also depend on the patients response. The initial dose should be maintained or adjusted until a satisfactory response is observed. If a satisfactory clinical response does not occur after a reasonable period of time, treatment with this medicine should be discontinued.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
One should take following precaution before start taking this medicine:
- Should not take these medicine unless prescribed by a qualified doctor.
- Do not take if you are allergic to Penicillin or any any other component of this medicine.
- This medicine is not suitable for infants.
- Should not use this medicine for prolonged time.
- Keep the medicine in room temperature and avoid contact with direct sunlight.
- If you have Kidney or Liver ailments, dosage of this medicine should be lower.
- If you have allergic reactions to antibiotics
- Not suitable if you have glandular fever
- Not suitable if you have leukemia
- Don not take this medicine If you are on Sodium restrictive diet
- If you are nursing a baby
- If you are pregnant
- Not suitable for diabetic patients
- If you have Gout and taking allopurinol and probenecid, use ampiclox with extra precaution
- Take extra precaution for arthritis, psoriasis and cancer patients
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘B’ No risk in other studies: Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women OR Animal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in any trimester.
Please consult your doctor or a healthcare expert before starting this medicine during pregnancy.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
There is not any well established study or proof that if ampicillin and cloxacillin passes through the breast milk and affects the quality of milk; or if it could be harmful for the nursing infant.
If your breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding, consult a doctor before using this medicine.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
This medicine can be given to children which are more than 2 years of age. Consult a doctor for the information on correct dosage therapeutic requirements of the patient child.
This injections are not intended to be used in children.
Is Ampiclox available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Ampiclox is not available as an over the counter (OTC) product. It is a prescription medicine and it has to be prescribed a qualified specialist.
Frequently asked questions
Is Ampiclox a narcotic or steroidal drug?
No, Ampiclox is not a narcotic or steroidal drug. It a penicillin derivative antibiotic medicine.
Can I take this injection during my birth control medication?
No, Ampiclox can reduce the effects of Oral contraceptive pills. In case you are prescribed with this injection during your birth control medication, try to use secondary contraceptives to reduce the chances of getting pregnant.