What is Arimidex ?
Arimidex (Anastrozole) is a branded oral non-steroidal and reversible (Type 2) AROMATASE INHIBITORS useful in treatment of Early breast cancer and Palliation in post-menopausal women with hormone receptor-positive condition.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I miss the dose of this medicine ?
- Can I drive after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach?
- Can I take this medicine with alcohol ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is this available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
Arimidex tablet is composed of generic drug Anastrozole.
How does it work ?
ARIMIDEX works by hormonal treatment also called hormonal therapy Women with positive hormone receptor conditions are treated with this drug.
Estrogen is cause of breast cancer so Anastrozole works as Aromatase Inhibitor which block the aromatase enzyme as by this nearly total estrogen deprivation occurs.
Aromatase Inhibition occurs at final or key process where aromatase enzyme needed to testosterone and androstenedione conversion into Estrogen.As lower Estrogen levels lead to decrease or stops growth of tumour.
Aromatase, an enzyme found in liver, fat, muscle, and breast cancer cells, changes androgens into the hormone estrogen. Aromatase helps conversion of Some breast cancer tumors grow when estrogen is present.
What are it’s uses ?
ARIMIDEX is used in treatment breast cancer in women who passed into post-menopausal this works by lowering estrogen hormone level by aromatase inhibition. It is often given to women whose cancer has progressed even after taking tamoxifen (Nolvadex, Soltamox).
This may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
How effective is this medicine ?
Arimidex is a very effective for treatment breast cancers mentioned for post-menopausal women with hormone receptor-positive condition. It is one of the best drug available. For best results it should be taken under medical supervision in terms of dosage and duration of intake after due consultation with a doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
Below are the side effects that can occur from ARIMIDEX medication. Please consult a doctor if you observe any of these side effects:
- Hot flushes,
- vaginal dryness,
- vaginal bleeding,
- nausea, diarrhoea,
- thinning of hair.
- Acceleration of osteoporosis are prominent.
- However, it does not predispose to endometrial
- carcinoma or to venous thromboembolism.
- increase in cholesterol of body
- weakness, mood changes, pain, back pain, sore throat, nausea and vomiting, rash, depression, high blood pressure
Is Arimidex addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. Government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence to medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What if I miss the dose of Arimidex?
Can I drive after taking Arimidex?
It is not safe to drive after taking this medicine if you experience dizziness or headache as side effects. One should not drive a vehicle if using the medicine makes drowsy, dizzy or reduces your blood-pressure. Please check for these conditions on your body while using this medicine.
Can Arimidex be taken on an empty stomach ?
This medicine has to be taken after food. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you to use this medicine.
Can I take Arimidex with alcohol ?
This medicine should not be taken while having alcohol. It may cause nausea and vomiting. It is better to consult your doctor before consumption of this medicine. Pharmacists also suggest not to take alcohol while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
The dosage of Arimidex is available in 1mg which is common dosage of this drug but please consult with a doctor as it will vary on the condition for which it has to be administered.For best results take it for the duration suggested by the doctor.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
One should take following precaution before taking ARIMIDEX capsule:
- This is used only for post-menopausal conditioned women
- This should not be taken if you are pregnant as it will harmful for unborn child.
- Arimidex (Anastrozole) should be taken only taken under doctor consultancy and self medication should be avoided. Inform doctor if you are taking any over the counter medicines or any other prescribed medicines or ayurvedic or homeopathy medicines any persistant diseases like diabetes,kidney diseases. As other disease or medicines may cause drug interactions which change therapeutic effect of drug or may lead to toxicity or overdose of drug.
- Tablets should not chewed or breaked into pieces and swallowed. If done only under doctor advice/prescription
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
NO, this should not be taken if you are pregnant as it will harmful for unborn child. As this is works on hormonal treatment may lead to adverse effects to fetus this drug is not prescribed for pregnant women
Pregnancy Category X which is unsafe for pregnant women and may cause loss in pregnancy , delay in development of fetus.
It should not be taken if you are pregnant or are planning to be pregnant. Please share the actual status of your pregnancy with your doctor for the correct prescription of this medicine.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
NO, it is not safe to take if breast feeding and not prescribed for lactating women. The drug should taken under prescription of doctor and should be in consultation with doctor while under medication of this drug.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
No,this medicine should not given for children or infants this drug is only for women in post-menopausal condition. Please consult with your doctor to better understand about this capsule.
Is ARIMIDEX available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
NO , ARIMIDEX is not available as an over the counter or OTC product. Available only under Doctor prescription.
Frequently asked questions
Is It safe to take Anastrozole?
NO, This should only be taken on medical advice by Doctor.
Does Anastrozole cause increase of cholesterol level?
yes this can cause increase of cholesterol levels