What is Azee 500 ?
Azee 500 is an effective antibiotic medicine administered in the form of oral tablet. This medicine is manufactured and marketed by Cipla Ltd. The active ingredient of this medicine is Azithromycin, which is abbreviated to form the name Azee. This medicine is available in the packaging of 5 tablets per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I miss the dose of this medicine ?
- Can I drive after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach ?
- Can I take this medicine with alcohol ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Azee 500 available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The generic medicine for Azee 500 is Azithromycin. It is available in the strength of 500 mg per tablet. It is commonly used in the treatment of common bacterial infections of the body.
How does it work ?
It prevents the growth of bacteria in our body. The medicine stops bacteria from assembling the proteins that are vital to them. In lack of these proteins, the bacteria cannot grow, reproduce and replicate. Therefore, this medicine stops the spread of infection. Remaining bacteria are eventually killed by the body’s immune system.
What is it’s used?
Azithromycin is powerful medication in the management of below mentioned medical conditions:
- It is used to treat various infections caused by bacteria, such as skin infections, respiratory infections, ear infections, and sexually transmitted diseases.
- It is an antibiotic that fights bacteria in the body.
- It is also used to treat a middle ear infection in children.
- Also used for the treatment of pneumonia, tonsillitis, and strep throat.
- Also used in many ophthalmic solutions and ointments.
- Can also be prescribed in case infections of the digestive tract, as in diarrhoea and typhoid fever.
- It is also used in as a supporting drug in the treatments of malarial infections and few other non-bacterial diseases.
How effective is this medicine ?
Azithromycin one of the foundation medications used everywhere in the world to control bacterial infections and diseases. This medicine is used for for the treatment of patients with Acute bacterial exacerbation of COPD. Now-a-days, it is also used to treat infections in infants with weaker immune system.
What are the Side Effects ?
Many of the reported side effects of these tablets were moderate to mild in severity and were reversible upon stopping of the medication.
Some of the commonly reported side effects of this medicine include:
- Gastrointestinal problems with diarrhoea/ loose motions, abdominal pain.
- Allergic reaction including hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, tongue, lips or throat.
- Low fever, loss of appetite
- Chest pain, uneven heartbeats
- Diarrhoea that is watery or bloody
- Dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice like symptoms (yellowing of the skin or eyes)
- Burning in your eyes, skin pain
- Spreading skin rash that can cause blistering and peeling on the skin.
- Nervous feeling, insomnia
- vaginal itching or discharge
- Dizziness, tired feeling, or headache
- Ringing in your ears, problems with hearing
- Decreased sense of taste or smell
This list is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual side effect.
Is Azee 500 addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. The government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence on medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What if I miss the dose of Azee 500?
Can I drive after taking Azee 500?
It is not safe to drive after taking this medicine if you experience dizziness or a headache as side effects. One should not drive a vehicle if using the medicine makes drowsy, dizzy or reduces your blood pressure. Please check for these conditions on your body while using this medicine.
Can Azee 500 be taken on an empty stomach?
You can take this medicine with or without food. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you to use this medicine.
Can I take Azee 500 with alcohol?
Intake of this medicine with alcohol is not recommended. Alcohol intake with this medicine may intensify drowsiness. It is better to consult your doctor before consumption of this medicine. Pharmacists also suggest not to take alcohol while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
Typically the dosage of Azee 500 ranges between one tablet to two tablets per day for 2 to 4 days. The duration and daily dosage of medication varies from severity of the illness the medicine is administered for. Please consult with your doctor regarding the dosage and the duration of the course of this medicine, as it differs from one case to another.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Do not take Azee 500 if you are allergic to similar drugs like erythromycin, clarithromycin and telithromycin.
- Not suitable for women during pregnancy and if you are breastfeeding.
- Not advisable to use it if you had liver problems caused by taking azithromycin.
- Not suitable with patients with history of cystic fibrosis, irregular heartbeat, kidney diseases and HIV.
- Also do not take this medicine if you have had jaundice in the past.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
No, Azee 500 is not safe to take if you are pregnant or planing to get pregnant.
This medicine is classified under ‘B’ certificate by US FDA in pregnancy category of medicines. The active component of the medicine can be harmful for an unborn baby.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
There are no adequate and well-controlled studies to show that Azithromycin is excreted in breast milk. Do not take this medicine without consulting a doctor if you are breastfeeding or planning to start breastfeeding.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
It is not safe to be given to infants. In our body, azithromycin is processed by liver. The infant livers are not fully developed in the first 4-6 months of life. This increases the risk jaundice in infants.
This medicine can be prescribed to kids by qualified doctor. For kids, it is used in treatment of ear infections, throat infections, tonsillitis, bronchitis and skin infections.
Is Azee 500 available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Azee 500 is not available as an over the counter or OTC product. It is a prescription drug to be prescribed only by a qualified doctor. Please consult with your doctor to better understand about this tablet.
Frequently asked questions
How to store this tablet?
This tablet should be stored in a cool and dry place protected from direct sun light. Please keep this away from the reach of children and pets. Always discard it post expiry date.