What is Bandy Plus?
Bandy Plus is the brand name for laminated tablet, which is prescribed for the treatment of parasitic infections. This tablet can be administered orally. This medicine is manufactured and marketed by Mankind Pharmaceuticals Limited. It is available in the packaging of 10 tablets per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Bandy Plus available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The active ingredients and generic salts present in this tablets are listed below:
- Albendazole ———- 400 mg per tablet
- Ivermectin ———- 12 mg per tablet
How does it work ?
Albendazole is an anti-helminthic medicine. It works by killing the parasites and worms. It stops the worms from absorbing and feeding on glucose digested by the human intestine. Without glucose the worms loose energy and become weak, then eventually dies.
Ivermectin is also an anti-helminthic medicine. But it works by paralyzing the worms and stopping their movements. It also kills the parasitic worms.
What are it’s uses ?
Bandy Plus medication can be used in prevention, control and treatment of following diseases and conditions:
- Whipworm infection
- Hydatid disease
- Pinworms infections
- Tapeworm infections
- Roundworm infections
- Threadworm infections
- Infection of parasites on skin
- Infection of parasite on hair
- Inflammatory diseases
- Nematode infection in intestine
- Filaria worms parasitic infection
- Enlarged limb
How effective is this medicine ?
Bandy Plus is very effective in the management of all the pain, fever and inflammatory disorders as mentioned above. One should use it after discussing the condition and other symptoms with a qualified doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
The side-effects may occur during the Bandy plus medication are listed below:
- Symptoms like meningitis
- Hair loss
- Allergic reaction
- Raised intracrainal pressure
- Abdominal pain
- Kidney failure
- Inflammation of Liver
- Reduction in number of WBC’c in blood
- Dark urine
- Decreased hemoglobin and thrombocytes
- Dryness of mouth and throat
Seek emergency medical help or consult a doctor immediately if you observe any serious or persistent side effects.
What is the Dosage ?
The dosage of this medicine varies with the patient’s age, medical history and the health condition for which the medication is being administered.
Please consult with doctor to know about the correct dosage for the speedy recovery of the patient.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Take this medicine only if prescribed by the doctor
- Do not consume alcohol while taking this medicine
- Do not consume tobacco, do not smoke tobacco products.
- Take full course of treatment
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of this medicine or any of their excipient
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
Caution should be implied if the patient is :
- On any other prescribed or non-prescribed medication.
- An alcoholic or smoker
- Is elderly or children
- Is on any hormonal medication
- Is suffering from glaucoma, epilepsy and coronary artery diseases.
- Has any renal and hepatic impairments
- Is Pregnant or breastfeeding
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
No, it is not safe to take this medicine if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
Albendazole has been assigned to pregnancy category ‘D’ by the FDA, Positive evidence of risk: There is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience or studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
Please consult your gynecologists or a qualified doctor before administering this drug to a pregnant woman.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, Bandy plus is not safe to take if you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding. It can affect the production and quality of breast milk and harm the infant.
Please consult your doctor before using this medicine if your nursing a baby.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
This tablet is a combination medicine, and both the ingredients may effect young children differently.
So Bandy Plus tablet is not suitable to be given to children and infants.
However, If your children is suffering any parasitic infection then a different formulation Albendazole can be prescribed for children elder than 2 years of age.
Oral administration of Ivermectin in form of tablets, should not be prescribed for children less than 5 years of age.
Consult a pediatrician for the proper diagnosis and correct medication for children and infants.
Is Bandy Plus available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Bandy Plus is not available as an over the counter (OTC) product. It is a prescription medicine. It has to be prescribed by a qualified specialist. Please consult with the doctor regarding correct dosage, timing and duration of use of this medicine. Please do not self-medicate yourself with this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
Is Ivermectin a narcotic or steroidal drug ?
No, ivermectin is not a narcotic or steroidal drug.
What are the other uses of Ivermactin ?
Ivermactin is also used as an lotion for the treatment of head lice and other parasitic infections on skin and hair. Ivermactin lotion should not be used in children less than 6 month of age.
How long should I take this medicine?
For duration of taking Bandy plus medication, it is better to get it prescribed from your doctor, as it varies from case to case.