What is Banocide Forte?
Banocide Forte is the branded medicine available in the form of a laminated tablet and is prescribed for the treatment of parasitic infections. This medicine is manufactured and marketed by Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Limited and is available in the packaging of 30 tablets per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I miss the dose of this medicine ?
- Can I drive after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach ?
- Can I take this medicine with alcohol ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Banocide Forte available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The active ingredient and generic salt present in Banocide Forte tablet is Di Ethylecarbamazine Citrate. It is present in the strength of 100 mg in each tablet.
How does it work ?
Di Ethylecarbamazine Citrate is an anti-helminthic medicine. It works by killing the parasites and worms. It stops the worms from absorbing and feeding on glucose digested by the human intestine. Without glucose the worms loose energy and become weak, then eventually dies.
What are it’s uses ?
Banocide forte medication can be used in prevention, control and treatment of following diseases and conditions:
- Whipworm infection
- Pinworms infections
- Tapeworm infections
- Roundworm infections
- Threadworm infections
- Infection of parasites on skin
- Eosinophilic lung disorders
- Inflammatory diseases
- Filaria worms parasitic infection
- Enlarged limb
- African Eye worm
- River blindness
How effective is this medicine ?
Banocide Forte is very effective in the management of all the parasitic and eosinophilic disorders as mentioned above. One should use it after discussing the condition and other symptoms with a qualified doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
The side-effects may occur during the this medication are listed below:
- Symptoms like meningitis
- Hair loss
- Allergic reaction
- Raised intracrainal pressure
- Abdominal pain
- Kidney failure
- Inflammation of Liver
- Reduction in number of WBC’c in blood
- Dark urine
- Decreased hemoglobin and thrombocytes
- Dryness of mouth and throat
Seek emergency medical help or consult a doctor immediately if you observe any serious or persistent side effects.
What if I miss the dose of Banocide Forte?
Can I drive after taking Banocide Forte?
It is not safe to drive after taking this medicine if you experience dizziness or headache as side effects. One should not drive a vehicle if using the medicine makes drowsy, dizzy or reduces your blood-pressure. Please check for these conditions on your body while using this medicine.
Can Banocide Forte be taken on an empty stomach ?
This medicine has to be taken after food. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you to use this medicine.
Can I take Banocide Forte with alcohol ?
Intake of this medicine with alcohol is not reported. How ever alcohol intake with medicine may intensifies drowsiness.It is better to consult your doctor before consumption of this medicine. Pharmacists also suggest not to take alcohol while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
The dosage of this medicine varies with the patient’s age, medical history and the health condition for which the medication is being administered.
Please consult with doctor to know about the correct dosage for the speedy recovery of the patient.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Take this medicine only if prescribed by the doctor
- Do not consume alcohol while taking this medicine
- Do not consume tobacco, do not smoke tobacco products.
- Take full course of treatment
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of this medicine or any of their excipient
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
Caution should be implied if the patient is :
- On any other prescribed or non-prescribed medication.
- An alcoholic or smoker
- Is elder than 65 years of age
- Is on any hormonal medication
- Is suffering from covulsions, epilepsy and coronary artery diseases.
- Has any renal and hepatic impairments
- Is Pregnant or breastfeeding
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
No, it is not safe to take this medicine if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
Diethylcarbamazine citrate has been assigned to pregnancy category ‘D’ by the FDA, Positive evidence of risk: There is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience or studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
Please consult your gynecologists or a qualified doctor before administering this drug to a pregnant woman.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, Banocide Forte is not safe to take if you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding. It can affect the production and quality of breast milk and harm the infant.
Please consult your doctor before using this medicine if your nursing a baby.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
Banocide forte can be prescribed for children which are older than 2 years of age. For correct diagnosis, and proper dosage of this medicine for children, consult a pediatrician first.
This medicine is contraindicated to be used for infants and neonates. Consult a doctor to know more about this medicine.
Is Banocide Forte available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Banocide Forte is not available as an over the counter (OTC) product. It is a prescription medicine. It has to be prescribed by a qualified specialist. Please consult with the doctor regarding correct dosage, timing and duration of use of this medicine. Please do not self-medicate yourself with this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
How long should I take this medicine?
For duration of taking antihelmintic medication, it is better to get it prescribed from your doctor, as it varies from case to case. Do not self medicate, it can be dangerous for your health. Prolonged use of antihelmintic medicines by damage vision and cause night blindness.
Can I take Banocide forte syrup instead of tablets ?
The concentration and composition of active ingredients may vary in syrup and tablets. For the proper diagnosis and correct treatment and dosage of medicine, consult a healthcare expert first. In some cases you can take syrup instead of tablets if you are not able to find the prescribed medicine in the market.