What is Benadryl Cough Syrup?
Benadryl Cough Syrup is one of the most popular cough syrup available in the market. It is a product of Johnson & Johnson Ltd. It is available in various volume pack sizes of 50 ml, 150 ml and 450 ml.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I miss the dose of this medicine ?
- Can I drive after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach?
- Can I take this medicine with alcohol ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Benadryl Cough Syrup available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The generic ingredients of Benadryl cough syrup are:
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride I.P. 14.08 mg
- Ammonium Chloride I.P. 138 mg
- Ethanol (95%) I.P. 0.2625 ml
- (Expressed as ethanol I.P.) 5.0% v/v
How does it work ?
The working of this cough syrup can be understood as from the working of its generic ingredients:
Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride: It belongs to the family of medicines called as Antihistamines. These have sedative and anticholinergic (drying) effects. They seem to be competing with histamine for cell receptor sites on effector cells. It quickly gets absorbed into the body( approximately in one hour for a single oral dose) and is well distributed throughout the body(including the CNS).
Ammonium Chloride: It works by reducing the airway secretions’ stickiness and helps in removing these secretions from the airway.
What are it’s uses ?
Benadryl cough syrup has the following uses:
- For multi symptom relief
- Relief from cough
- Cough accompanied by runny nose
- Cough accompanied by sneezing
- Cough accompanied by watery eyes
- Relief from cold
- Soothes sore throat
- Acts within 15 minutes
How effective is this medicine ?
This medicine is a very powerful and effective medicine in treating cough, cold and sore throat. It is fast as it acts within 15 minutes. But, one should take it in prescribed dosage for the correct duration of time and frequency.
What are the Side Effects ?
This cough syrup has the following side-effects:
- Blurring Of Vision
- CNS Depression
- Paradoxical Stimulation In Children
- Dryness Of Mouth
- Thickened Respiratory Secretion
- Blood Dyscrasias
- Urinary Retention
- GI Disturbances
Is Benadryl Cough Syrup addictive ?
What if I miss the dose of Benadryl Cough Syrup ?
Can I drive after taking Benadryl Cough Syrup?
Can Benadryl Cough Syrup be taken on an empty stomach ?
This medicine can be taken on an empty stomach. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you to use this medicine.
Can I take Benadryl Cough Syrup with alcohol ?
Intake of this medicine with alcohol is not reported. How ever alcohol intake with medicine may intensifies drowsiness.It is better to consult your doctor before consumption of this medicine. Pharmacists also suggest not to take alcohol while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
- Not to be used for children below 2 years of age without medical advice
- Children between 2-5yrs – ½ teaspoonful (2.5 ml)
- Children between 6-12 yrs -1 teaspoonful (5ml)
- Over 12yrs and adults -2 teaspoonful (10ml)
Dose to be taken every 4 hours. Not to exceed 12 teaspoonfuls in 24 hours.
Consult physician in case coughing persists for more than 4 days or if you have any medical condition or pregnancy or are breast feeding or taking other medication.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
You should take following precautions while administering this medicine:
- If the patient is an elderly person.
- if the patient is associated with certain specific medical conditions such as respiratory disorders like asthma; increased intraocular pressure; hyperthyroidism;cardiovascular disease or hypertension.
- If one has to perform tasks which need focused mental concentration and alertness.
- Any allergies, pre-existing diseases to be shared with your doctor.
- if there is difficulty in passing urine.
- Hypersensitivity of any substituents in drug should be ruled out.
- Vitamin and mineral or other supplements can interact with certain other medications, tell the doctor if using any of these.
- If you also on other medication like antibiotics,antacids,NSAIDs,diuretics etc.,inform your doctor about the same.
- The expiry date printed on the pack has passed.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicines.
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
It can be taken if you are pregnant under doctor’s guidance. It falls under FDA pregnancy category ‘B’, thereby meaning- No risk in other studies: Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women OR Animal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in any trimester.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
If you are breast feeding then you should not take this cough syrup without doctor’s guidance.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
Yes, this medicine can be given to children above 2 years of age. For children of age less than 2 years and infants it can be given after consulting with doctor. But it should not be given to newborn babies and prematurely born infants.
Is Benadryl Cough Syrup available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
Yes, Benadryl cough syrup is available as an over the counter or OTC product.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is Benadryl COugh syrup freely available in India?
Ans: Yes, Benadryl Cough Syrup is freely available in India.
Q. Is this medicine an antibiotic?
Ans: No, it is not an antibiotic.
Q. Does this cough syrup makes one sleepy or drowsy? If yes, then why is it so?
Ans: Yes, this cough syrup can make one sleepy or drowsy. It happens so due to the presence of alcohol in the syrup as a constituent.
Q. What are the storage precautions for this medicine?
Ans: To store this medicine one should exercise the below mentioned precautions:
- Keep the bottle in cool and dry place , Avoid direct sunlight and Shake well before use.
- Do not store medicine in the bathroom or near a sink.
- Avoid direct contact with sunlight.
- Keep it away from the reach of children and pets.
- If the expiry date on the pack is passed, ask a pharmacist about ways of discarding it.