What is Betacap TR 40?
Betacap TR 40 is the brand name for a medicine available as capsules and is marketed by Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. It belongs to a family of medicines called Beta Blockers which generally work to restore he correct rhythm of the heart. It is available in the packaging of 10 capsules per strip. Each such strip is available at all medical stores at a mrp of Rs 45/- only.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Betacap TR 40 available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
Betacap TR 40 has the following generic ingredients, also being given is their respective strengths per capsule:
- Propanolol Hydrochloride (40 mg) – it is a sympatholytic non-selective beta blocker.
How does it work ?
This medicine works by relaxing the blood vessels. It hinders the effect of certain natural chemicals in the body (for example epinephrine) which affect the blood vessels and heart. This capsule belongs to a class of drugs called beta blockers. It’s effect results in the reduction/stabilization of blood pressure, strain on the heart and heart rate.
What are it’s uses ?
Betacap TR 40 is useful in the prevention and management of the following health conditions:
- increased blood pressure.
- angina or chest pain.
- heart attack.
- arrhythmias or abnormal heartbeat.
- migraine prophylaxis.
- shaking or essential tremors.
How effective is this medicine ?
This capsule is very effective for all the conditions mentioned above. It has to be taken in the correct dosage, frequency and for the right period/ duration of time. Please consult with a doctor or a qualified health expert for the correct diagnosis of the problem.
What are the Side Effects ?
Betacap TR 40 has the following side effects:
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Altered blood lipids.
- heart failure.
- conduction disorders.
- peripheral vascular constriction.
- exacerbation of intermittent claudication.
- Raynaud phenomenon.
- gastrointestinal disturbances.
- sleep disturbances including nightmares.
- rash dry eyes (reversible).
- exacerbation of psoriasis.
What is the Dosage ?
Take as directed by your doctor. The usual dose of this drug is one to two tablets per day.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
One should take precautions while administering this medicine during any of the below listed medical conditions:
- if the patient is undergoing pregnancy.
- if the patient has renal impairment.
- if the patient has a history of liver disease.
- if there is First-degree atrioventricular block.
- if the patient is a lactating woman.
- if the patient has a history of hypersensitivity (increased reaction to allergens).
- if the patient is suffering from diabetes.
- if there is myasthenia gravis.
- if there is portal hypertension.
- if there is reduced response to epinephrine (adrenaline).
- if the patient is of old age , more than 65 years.
Also, there are some general precautions given below:
- The packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering.
- The expiry date printed on the pack has passed.
- Take this medicine only if you are prescribed by a doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease.
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘C’.
Risk not ruled out: Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, this medicine is not considered safe if one is breast feeding. Please consult with your doctor to discuss and weigh the risks and benefits for your particular case.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
This medicine should not be given to infants under any circumstances. But, under Doctor’s guidance and with due caution this drug can be administered to children. Please do not self medicate your child with this capsule under any situation.
Is Betacap TR 40 available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Betacap TR 40 is not available as an over the counter or OTC product. It is a prescription only medicine. It must be prescribed by a qualified doctor.
Frequently asked questions
Q. When should this capsule be taken, before meal or after meal?
Ans: This medicine is to be taken on empty stomach. So it is best advised to take this either one hour before having food , or after two hours of having food.
Q. What are the storage precautions for this medicine?
Ans: You should take following precautions for storing this tablets:
- Do not crush or chew capsules.
- Keep the capsules in the original pack until it is time to take them.
- Keep the pack in a cool dry place.
- Do not store medicine in the bathroom or near a sink.
- Avoid direct contact with sunlight.
- Keep it away from the reach of children and pets.
- If the expiry date on the pack is passed, ask a pharmacist about ways of discarding it.
Q. Is Betacap TR 40 addictive?
Ans: No. Betacap TR 40 doesn’t seem to have habit forming potential.
Q. What is the duration of action of this medicine?
Ans: The duration of action of this medicine is upto 12 hours.
Q. What should one do if a dose is missed?
Ans: One should take the missed dose as soon as noticed, unless it’s already about time for next dose. In such situation don’t double the dose and skip the missed dose. Henceforth, continue with the regular schedule.