What is Betnovate C?
Betnovate C is a branded skin cream, which is used in the management of various skin problems including fungal infections. It is manufactured by Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd. It is available in the packaging of 30 grams cream per tube.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What happens if it over-applied and how to manage? ?
- What to do in case there is an allergic reaction with it? ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to use if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to use if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be used for children and infants ?
- Is Betnovate C available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The generic components of Betnovate C along with their composition in % w/w is being described below:
How does it work ?
The working of Betnovate C cream can be understood as that of a combination of its both generic components. Below given is a brief description of the same:
- Betamethasone Topical : It reduces the chemicals which cause allergy in the skin and help in the prevention of allergic reactions which might happen in the later stages. As it is from the corticosteroids class of medicines, it possess anti-inflammatory and immune system suppressing activity.
- Clioquinol (Iodochlorhydroxyquin) : It eliminates the infection causing fungi by getting involved in the DNA formation. When it is combined with an antibacterial agent it decreases bacterial infection and when it is combined with a steroid it decreases inflammation.It is a member of hydroxyquinoline anti-fungal agents family of drugs.
What are it’s uses ?
Betnovate C is useful in the management of the following medical conditions:
- inflammation of skin(atopic dermatitis)
- jock itch (fungal infection of the groin area)
- athlete’s foot (ringworm infection, a fungal infection of the foot)
- psoriasis of the scalp, hands and feet
- inflammation or infection of the external ear (otitis externa)
- itchy skin(eczema)
How effective is this medicine ?
Betnovate C is a very effective cream in the management of all the skin related disorders as mentioned above. One should use it after discussing the condition and other symptoms with a dermatologist.
What are the Side Effects ?
Betnovate C has the following commonly reported side-effects:
- Redness of skin
- Easy bruising of skin
- Skin irritation
- Skin dryness
Is Betnovate C addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. Government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence to medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What happens if Betnovate C over-applied and how to manage?
It is not recommended to use more than the prescribed dose. Taking more than the prescribed dose will not improve your symptoms, it may cause serious side-effects. If you suspect that you or anyone else who may have overdose, please go to the emergency department of the closest hospital. Do not give your used medicines to others. Please consult your physician or pharmacist or product package for more information.
What to do in case there is an allergic reaction with Betnovate C?
Some of the side effects of this medicine are bruising and bleeding and body fat deposits.If you observe any of the above side effects, gently clean the affected area with cold water and have a cold compress on the affected area. Consult your doctor as soon as possible and take necessary remedies.
What is the Dosage ?
The quantity of Betnovate C cream to be applied for the particular skin condition and also the frequency of application per day has to be as per Dermatologist’s prescription. Also, one must not exceed the duration (in terms of number of days) of the use of this cream.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
While using Betnovate C cream precaution should be exercised:
- This is cream for external use only
- Avoid inhaling and swallowing
- Avoid contact with mouth and eyes
- Be sure that the patient is not allergic to any of the component of this cream
- Avoid covering the affected are with bandage etc. to prevent internal absorption in the skin
- Monitor actively if being used for long-term
- Avoid if the patient has acute and/or systemic fungal infection
- Usage has to be withdrawn slowly
- Use with caution if the patient is an elderly person
- Use with caution with patients(especially women), who have recently undergone a thyroid test
Is it safe to use if I am pregnant ?
No, it is not safe to use when you are pregnant. Please consult with your gynecologist along with your dermatologist if a need arises to use this cream.
This medicine is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘C’ Risk not ruled out: Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
Please do not self-medicate with this cream.
Is it safe to use if I am breast feeding ?
No, it is not safe to use if you are breastfeeding, as there is a chance of it being inhaled or swallowed by the baby. This can not only be harmful but also dangerous for the baby. Please consult with your dermatologist if a need arises to use this cream.
Can this medicine be used for children and infants ?
Yes, if prescribed by a qualified dermatologist, this medicine can be used for children of age more than 2 years only. Please consult with the dermatologist regarding the quantity, frequency and duration of application of this cream.
But, it is strictly not to be used for children below the age of 2 years and infants.
Is Betnovate C available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, it is not available as an over the counter or an OTC product. It is a prescription cream and it has to be prescribed by a qualified dermatologist only.
Frequently asked questions
Can this cream be used on face?
Yes this cream can be used on face. But it is advised that the continuous usage should not be more than 5 days.
Can this cream cause skin-pigmentation or change in skin color?
Yes, this cream can cause skin-pigmentation in some patients. It can both lighten or darken the color of skin.
Can I apply this cream on open wounds ?
No, this cream is for External use only. Applying this cream on open wound can worsen the injury and may also generate infections.
How one should store this cream ?
This cream should be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature, protected from heat. Please keep it away from the reach of children and pets.Also, discard the remaining medicine after its expiry date has passed.
Can I apply it as many times I want in a day?
No, that will be harmful for the skin. Generally it is advised to be used twice or thrice in a day. Please follow your dermatologist’s instructions on this.
How long this cream can be used continuously?
This cream should not be used for more than 4 weeks straight in a row. Please follow your dermatologist’s instruction on this.