What is Budecort ?
Budecort is the brand name for a glucocorticoid steroid drug, used in the treatment of Asthma and other breathing related disorders. It is available as an aqueous suspension in inhaler respules. The respules come in 0.5 mg and 1 mg strength. This medicine is manufactured and marketed by Cipla Limited. It is available in the packaging of 10 respules per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Budecort available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The generic salt and active ingredient in this inhaler is Budesonide. It is a corticosteroid and it helps in reducing inflammation.
How does it work ?
Budesonide is an anti-inflammatory corticosteroid, it demonstrates powerful glucocorticoid activity. Corticosteroids stops the action of histamines in the body and decrease the production of inflammatory chemicals. It helps in reducing the inflammation in lungs and relieves Asthma and other breathing related ailments.
What are it’s uses ?
This medicine can be administered in prevention, control and treatment of following symptoms and diseases:
- Swelling in the airways
- Inflammation of lungs
- Pain and swelling in nose and throat
- Inflammatory bowel diseases
- In children and infants, it can also be used for the treatment of Croup
Please consult a doctor before administering this medicine.
How effective is this medicine ?
This medicine is very effective in treatment of all inflammatory diseases discussed above.
What are the Side Effects ?
Some of the common reported side-effects while on Budecort inhaler medication are listed below:
- Pimple and blemishes on skin
- Acidity, indigestion, Heartburn
- Restlessness, anxiety
- Bruising of skin
- Clouding in eyes
- Blurred vision
- Stomach pain
- Fungal infection and white patches in mouth and lips
- Sore throat, hoarse voice
This list is not a comprehensive list of all the possible side effects of this drug.
Consult your doctor immediately if you develop any other medical conditions while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
Consult with a doctor for the correct dosage of budesonide for the patient. It varies with patient’s age, indication and other prevailing medical factors.
Generally prescribed dose of these medicine is:
- for children above 12 years of age and adults, the dosage can be upto 2 mg – 2 times a day.
- for children below 12 years of age, the dosage can be 0.5 – 1 mg – 2 times a day.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Take this medicine only if prescribed by a doctor.
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to budesonide or any other ingridient of the medicine.
- Do not take this medicine if are on interleukins or mifepristone
- Tell your doctor if you are on other medications
- Tell your doctor if you are consuming any herbal preparation and nutritional supplement
- Take precaution and seek doctors advise in you are suffering from stomach ulcers, liver problems, high blood pressure.
- Do not take this medicine if you have weak bones, Osteoporosis and any untreated infection.
- If you have or had measles and chicken pox in the past.
- Inform your doctor if you have allergy from any other substance, food or medication
- If you or someone in your family has Glaucoma, Cataract or diabetes.
- Medicine is not recommended if you have or had Tuberculosis in past.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your doctor if Budecort may interact with other medicines that you take.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
Yes, this Budecort inhalers are safe to take if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
It is classified as Pregnancy category ‘B’ by FDA, No risk in other studies: Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women OR Animal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in any trimester.
Consult a gynecologists or a healthcare expert before using this medicine.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
Budesonide is a corticosteroid and it is reported secret in the breast milk. Corticosteroid affects the quality of the breast milk, and it can also harm the growth in children. So, it is suggested that this drug may administered to nursing mothers only when clearly necessary and the potential benefits from administering this drug outweighs the potential risks to the infant.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
Yes, if prescribed by a qualified doctor, Budecort can be given to children and infants. For proper diagnosis of the ailment and correct dosage of the medicine, please consult a doctor first.
Is Budecort available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Budecort is not available as an over the counter (OTC) product. It is a prescription medicine. So it is advised that you should only take this medicine if it prescribed by a doctor or a healthcare expert.
Frequently asked questions
Is Pulmicort same as Budecort ?
Pulmicort and Budecort are two different brand names for the same medicine. The generic drug in both of them is budesonide. So, yes they both are same.
Can I take Budesonide for cough ?
Yes, you can take budesonide for the treatment of cough which is induced by asthma attacks and alleric diseases of nose. It can also be used to treat cough cause by throat or chest infections.