What is Celestamine ?
Celestamine is the brand name of a film coated oral tablets. It is a corticosteroid medicine and it works by decreasing the amount of pain and inflammation causing compound in body. This tablets are manufactured and marketed by Schering Plough Limited (Under – Merck Sharp and Dohme LLC). It is available in market in packaging of 15 strip per box. Each strip contains 10 tablets.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I miss the dose of this medicine ?
- Can I drive after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach ?
- Can I take this medicine with alcohol ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Celestamine available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
Betamethasone – 250 mcg per tablet
Dexchlorphenamine maleate – 2 mg per tablet
How does it work ?
Celestamine is the combination of anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic drugs. Betamethasone is a corticosteroid while dexchlorphenamine maleate has antihistaminic properties..
This combination works by suppressing the reaction of immune system and inhibiting the indications of histamines. It also relaxes immune system by controlling the antibodies and regulates the allergic response of histamines.
What are it’s uses ?
This medicine is administered for treatment and control of many health conditions such as allergies, respiratory issues, skin problems, eye allergies, and dermatological conditions.
How effective is this medicine ?
Celestamine tablet is classified as an Antihistamine and Antiallergic medicine. It is also a corticosteroid.
This medicine is very effective for all the conditions mentioned above. It has to be taken in the correct dosage, frequency and for the right period/ duration of time. Please consult with a doctor or a qualified health expert for the correct diagnosis of the problem.
What are the Side Effects ?
Below are the reported side effects that can occur from use of Celestamine medication :
- Sedation and drowsiness
- Fluid and electrolyte disturbance in body
- Congestive heart failure in susceptible patients
- Muscle weakness, loss of muscle mass, tendon rupture
- Osteoporosis, pathological fractures
- Peptic ulcers, irregular bowels, nausea, vomiting
- Impaired healing of wounds
- Skin discoloration
- Thin and fragile skin
- Abdominal distention
- Increased sweating, urticaria
- Vertigo, headaches
- Menstrual irregularities
- Euphoria, mood swings, depression
If you experience any of these side effects, Inform your doctor immediately . This list is not a comprehensive list of all the possible side effects of this drug.
Consult your doctor immediately if you develop any other medical conditions while using this medicine.
Is Celestamine addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. The government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence on medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What if I miss the dose of Celestamine?
Can I drive after taking Celestamine?
It is not safe to drive after taking this medicine if you experience dizziness or headache as side effects. One should not drive a vehicle if using the medicine makes drowsy, dizzy or reduces your blood-pressure. Please check for these conditions on your body while using this medicine.
Can Celestamine be taken on an empty stomach ?
Yes, you can take it on empty stomach. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you to use this medicine.
Can I take Celestamine with alcohol ?
Intake of this medicine with alcohol is not reported. How ever alcohol intake with medicine may intensifies drowsiness.It is better to consult your doctor before consumption of this medicine. Pharmacists also suggest not to take alcohol while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
Doctor can suggest dosage depending on your medical history and other medical conditions, physical health and current medications. For optimum benefit from this medicine, maintain a regular schedule for the medication. Make sure that you take this medicine at a fixed time every day.
The generally prescribed dose of celestamine for adults is 2-6 tablets each day. As per the improvement of the patient, dosage should be reduced gradually to the minimum required level. Medication should be stopped where possible.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
One should take following precaution before start taking this medicine:
- Should not take these medicine if you have any fungal infections.
- Do not take if you are allergic to Betamethasone or any any other component of this medicine.
- This medicine is not suitable for infants.
- Should not use this tablets for prolonged time.
- Keep the medicine in room temperature and avoid contact with direct sunlight.
- Prolonged use can alter the motility of sperm and affect fertility in men.
- Do not take this medicine if you have peptic ulcers, cirrhosis, renal insufficiency and tuberculosis.
- Not advised if you have hypertension and osteoporosis.
- It can suppress the antibody response and effect functionality of immune system.
- Always take the medicine in proper prescribed dosage by a qualified doctor.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘C’ Risk not ruled out: Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
Consult a doctor before administering this medicine to a pregnant woman.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, this medicine is not safe to take if you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding. Corticosteroid can harm the fetus or an infant. This can also interrupt the normal growth of a new born baby. Always consult a healthcare expert before using Celestamine if you are nursing a baby.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
This medicine can be given to children which are more than 2 years of age. Effectiveness and safety of this tablets has not been established in children less than 2 years of age. Hence this medicine is not intended to be administered in infants.
Is Celestamine available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, it is not available as an over the counter or an OTC product. It is a prescription drug. It must be prescribed by a qualified doctor.
Frequently asked questions
Will this tablets help in curing lower back pain ?
No. Celestamine is a steroidal medicine,. It doesn’t have any analgesic property to relive from pain. To treat your back pain you should take analgesic medicine such as ibuprofen. Proper muscular exercise will also help in relaxing the pain.
Can I take Celestamine syrup instead of tablets ?
The concentration of components may vary in syrup and tablets. For the proper and correct diagnosis, treatment and dosage of medicine, consult a healthcare expert first. In some cases you can take syrup instead of tablets if you are not able to find the prescribed tablets in the market.
You might find this article interesting Betacap TR 40, is it safe? Uses, dosage, side-effects