What is Cifran 500 ?
Cifran 500 is a branded tablets which help in controlling certain types of Bacterial infections. It is manufactured by Ranbaxy Laboratories Limited. This medicine is available in the packaging of 10 tablets per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Cifran 500 available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The generic component of Cifran 500 is Ciprofloxacin. It belongs to the second generation of fluoroquinolone antibacterial. It is present in the strength of 500 mg in each tablet. It has antibacterial properties.
How does it work ?
Fluoroquinolone antibacterials work by breaking the double-stranded DNA, and by preventing the production DNA gyrase enzyme. DNA gyrase enzyme is necessary for pathogens and bacterias to replicate and grow. Ciprofloxacin stops the synthesis of DNA gyrase and hence prevent the bacteria from growing and spreading the infection.
What are it’s uses ?
This medicine can be prescribed for prevention, control and treatment of following diseases and conditions:
- Infections in Urinary tract
- Infection in eyes
- Infection of bladder and kidneys
- Infection of respiratory tract
- Skin infection
- Infection in joints and bones
- infection in reproductive tract
- Infection in Digestive tract
- Prostate infection
How effective is this medicine ?
Cifran 500 tablet is very effective in treatment of all the diseases listed above. One should use it after discussing the condition and other symptoms with a qualified doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
Commonly observed side effects of Cifran 500 are being listed below:
- Dizziness, Drowsiness
- Blurred vision, light-headedness
- Liver damage( in cases of over dosage)
- Abdominal pain
- Allergic skin rash and skin reddening
- Shortness of breath
- Inflammation of blood vessels, High blood pressure
- Pain in muscles, bones and joint
- Chest pain
- Decreased appetite
Consult your doctor if you develop any other medical conditions while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
Generally it is prescribed for taking two tablets per day. Please consult with your doctor regarding the dosage and the duration of the course of this medicine, as it varies from one case to another.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Take this medicine only if prescribed by the doctor
- Take full course of treatment
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of this medicine or any of their excipients
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children
Caution should be implied if the patient is :
- On any other prescribed or non-prescribed medication.
- Has any gastrointestinal infections and liver problems
- Suffering from brain and nervous system problems, irregular heartbeat.
- Has Myasthenia gravis, Alzheimer disease, Kidney or lung transplant.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Has a history of seizures and blood vessel issues.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘C’ Risk not ruled out: Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
It should not be taken without consulting with your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning to be pregnant. Please share the actual status of your pregnancy with your doctor for the correct prescription of this medicine.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, it is not safe to take this medicine during breastfeeding. Please share your breastfeeding plans with your doctor if being prescribed by this medicine.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
No, Cifran 500 tablets can not be given to children and infants. However the generic ciprofloxacin can be prescribed to children in other formulation. Ask a doctor about proper medication, dosage and frequency of medication for a child.
Is Cifran 500 available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, this tablet is not available as an over the counter or OTC product. It is a prescription drug. When being prescribed, please consult with the doctor regarding correct dosage, timing and duration of use of this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
I am on birth control medication, can I take Cifran 500 ?
Yes, You can take it. Ciprofloxacin doesn’t affect the birth-control.
Can I take medicine with milk, tea or coffee ?
No, you should not take this medicine with milk, tea, coffee or any other dairy products. Also do drink drinks with added calcium in them while you are on this medication.
For optimum results, take this medicine with some water.
What is the difference between Cifran 500 and Cifran CT (500mg) ?
Cifran 500 is composed of only one generic salt called Ciprofloxacin. On the other hand Cifran CT is a combination medicine used as an antibacterial and anti-diarrhea medicine. Cifran CT has Tinidazole added with ciprofloxacin.
What if i happen to miss a dose?
You can take it if the time is not close for the next dose. Don’t take double dose in any case. Its always better to consult your doctor in such cases in order to avoid any bad or harmful effects.
How to store this medicine?
This medicine has to be stored in a cool and dry place at room temperature (below 25 degree Celsius), away from the reach of children. It is advised to use an air-tight container for the storage of this medicine. Avoid contact with direct sunlight and artificial UV. Also, discard the medicine post its expiry date.