What is Cipcal 500 ?
Cipcal 500 is branded medicine for a laminated tablet, manufactured and marketed by Cipla Limited. This medication is a mix of essential body minerals and vitamins. This tablet is used to treat bone weakness and is available in the packaging of 15 tablets per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I miss the dose of this medicine ?
- Can I drive after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach ?
- Can I take this medicine with alcohol ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Cipcal 500 available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The active ingredients and generic medicine present in Cipcal 500 and their composition in each tablet is listed below:
How does it work ?
Elemental Calcium is a very important mineral required in our body. It is required in functioning of cells, muscles, nerves and bones. If the level of calcium is some how reduced in the body, the body will acquire calcium from bones and continue normal functions. This acquisition of calcium can weaken the bones and increase risk of bone disorders and Fractures.
Vitamin D3 is also a necessary supplement for the body. It works by facilitating and increasing the absorption of Calcium and Phosphorus. Phosphorus is required to build and maintain the strength of Bones.
What are it’s uses ?
This tablet can be administered in the prevention, control and treatment of following diseases and symptoms:
How effective is this medicine ?
This medicine is very effective for all the conditions mentioned above. It has to be taken in the correct dosage, frequency and for the right period/ duration of time. Please consult with a doctor or a qualified health expert for the correct diagnosis of the problem.
What are the Side Effects ?
Below are the common side effects that can occur from this medication. Please consult a doctor if you observe any of these side effects:
- Drowsiness and confusion
- Allergic rejection of the drug by body
- Increased calcium levels in blood and urine
- Excessive thirst
- Loss of appetite
- Muscular weakness
- Vomiting and nausea
- Hypotension and/ or hypertension
- Dry mouth
- Difficulty in urination
- Skin irritaion
- Cramps and abdominal pain
- Elevated liver enzymes
- Stomach Ache
- Headache with fever
- Chest pains
- Sleeping disturbances
- Dark or greenish stool
Is Cipcal 500 addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. Government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence to medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What if I miss the dose of Cipcal 500?
Can I drive after taking Cipcal 500?
It is not safe to drive after taking this medicine if you experience dizziness or headache as side effects. One should not drive a vehicle if using the medicine makes drowsy, dizzy or reduces your blood-pressure. Please check for these conditions on your body while using this medicine.
Can Cipcal 500 be taken on an empty stomach ?
This medicine has to be taken after food.. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you to use this medicine.
Can I take Cipcal 500 with alcohol ?
Intake of this medicine with alcohol is not recommended. However alcohol intake with medicine may intensify drowsiness.It is better to consult your doctor before consumption of this medicine. Pharmacists also suggest not to take alcohol while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
The general dosage of Cipcal 500 is 1 tablet per day orally with water. For the right dosage and frequency of this medicine suitable for you, please consult your doctor.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
One should take following precaution before start taking this medicine:
- Do not take this drug if you have an active peptic ulcer or intestinal ulcer.
- Drug is avoid in patients with repeated blood transfusion.
- Drug is contradicted in patients with problem of kidney stones
- Do not take this tablet within 2 hours of taking other medicine
- Not recommended for patients with High phosphate and calcium levels in blood
- Do not take this drug if you have cardiac issues, harden arteries and dehydration
- Do not take this medicine in a larger dose than prescribed by a doctor.
- Medicine should be kept away from the reach of children and pets.
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
Cipcal 500 belongs to pregnancy category ‘N’, FDA has not yet classified the drug into a specified pregnancy category.
However, this medicine is often prescribed to pregnant women in case of calcium deficiency. It can improve the bone building process and bone strength of fetus.
Please consult your gynecologists or a qualified doctor before administering this drug to a pregnant woman.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
Yes, you can take this medicine if you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding. Consult your Doctor or a healthcare expert before administering this medicine to lactating mothers.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
This medicine should not be given to children unless it is prescribed by a qualified specialist.
Cipcal 500 should not be given to infants.
Is Cipcal 500 available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
Yes, Cipcal 500 is available as an over the counter (OTC) product. But it is advised to consult a doctor regarding the dosage and frequency of medication before administering this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
Can I take Calcium and Iron supplement tablets together ?
No, Iron and Calcium tablets should not be taken together. You can take Calcium supplements with your meals. Iron supplements are taken on empty stomach only, otherwise they will not be absorbed by human body.
It is advised to take Iron supplement in morning before having breakfast and to take Calcium supplements after lunch or dinner.
Can I take Cipcal 500 in a long-term use for calcium deficiency ?
No, You should not take this or any medicine for a term longer than the one prescribed by a doctor. Prolonged use of medicine can cause serious side-effects and dependency problems. Cipcal 500 is safe to use if you are suffering from any disease caused by deficiency of calcium or vitamin D3 in the body, but a dose longer than 6 months is not advised. Please consult your doctor if you are not satisfied with the supplements dosage.
You might find this article interesting Wikoryl Syrup, is it safe? Uses, side-effects, dosage