What is Clavam 625?
Clavam 625 is the brand name for a laminated tablet manufactured and marketed by Alkem Laboratories Ltd. It is an antibiotic drug used in treatment of bacterial infections. This tablet is available in the packaging of 10 tablets per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I miss the dose of this medicine ?
- Can I drive after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach ?
- Can I take this medicine with alcohol ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Clavam 625 available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
Clavam 625 contains two active ingredients in the following strengths per tablet:
How does it work?
Amoxicillin is a penicillin antibiotic that fights bacteria. It interferes with the production of the bacterial cell wall. Amoxicillin weakens and ruptures the cell wall of bacteria and kills it.
Clavulanic acid is a type of medicine called beta-lactamase inhibitors. Beta-lactamase is secreted by the bacteria to protect themselves from antibiotic drugs like Amoxicillin. Clavulanic acid stops the activity of beta-lactamase and allows antibiotics to act against the bacteria.
What are it’s uses?
Clavam 625 belong to the penicillin group of antibiotics.
This tablet is used for the treatment of following infections caused by bacteria:
- Infection in chest like bronchitis or pneumonia
- Infection in bladder like cystitis
- Sinus infections
- Ear infections
- Skin infections, rashes.
- Tonsillitis and other throat infections
- Urinary tract infections
This drug will not work against infections caused by viruses such as colds or the flu.
How effective is this medicine?
This medicine is a very powerful and effective medicine against health indications discussed above.
What are the Side Effects?
Clavam 625 can cause following side-effects:
- Pain in stomach and indigestion
- Soreness of mouth and tongue
- Irritation and itching in vagina
- Vaginal discharge
- Dizziness and tiredness
- Tooth discoloration
- Hot flushes
- Nausea and vomiting
- Skin rash and Urticaria
Is Clavam 625 addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. Government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence to medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What if I miss the dose of Clavam 625?
Can I drive after taking Clavam 625?
It is not safe to drive after taking this medicine if you experience dizziness or tiredness as side effects. One should not drive a vehicle if using the medicine makes drowsy, dizzy or reduces your blood-pressure. Please check for these conditions on your body while using this medicine.
Can Clavam 625 be taken on an empty stomach ?
This medicine has to be taken after food. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you to use this medicine.
Can I take Clavam 625 with alcohol?
Limit the intake of alcohol with this medicine. It may cause drowsiness and tiredness in some people.It is better to consult your doctor before consumption of this medicine.
What is the Dosage?
Take as directed by your doctor. The usual dose of this drug is two tablets per day.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
You should take following precautions while administering this medicine:
- You are allergic to penicillin or similar types of antibiotics or any of the ingredients contained in Clavam 625.
- If you have previously experienced liver problems after taking this tablets.
- The expiry date printed on the pack has passed.
- The packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘B’ No risk in other studies: Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women OR Animal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in any trimester.
Consult a doctor before administering this medicine to a pregnant woman.
Is it safe to take if I am breastfeeding ?
It is generally regarded as a safe drug during breast feeding. Consult a Doctor before administering this medicine to lactating mothers.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants?
Yes, if prescribed by a qualified doctor, this medicine can be used for children and infants. Consult with a doctor regarding the frequency and the dosage of the drug.
Is Clavam 625 available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Clavam 625 is not available as an over the counter or an OTC product. It is a prescription drug. It must be prescribed by a qualified doctor.
Frequently asked questions
Immediately rush to your doctor or nearest health care center for advice.
Symptoms of overdose include mild to severe vomiting, nausea, cramps and diarrhea.
What are the storage precautions for this medicine?
You should take following precautions for storing this tablets:
- Keep the tablets in the original pack until it is time to take them.
- Keep the pack in a cool dry place.
- Do not store medicine in the bathroom or near a sink.
- Avoid direct contact with sunlight.
- Keep it away from the reach of children and pets.
- If the expiry date on the pack is passed, ask a pharmacist about ways of discarding it.
You might find this article interesting Colospa retard , is it safe? Uses, side-effects, dosage